Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P2000SK vs P30SK...again

P2000SK vs P30SK...again

I'm going to switch to a USP 45 with the Hybrid-Match LEM trigger for duty carry.

I want to get a small gun with the LEM trigger to carry off-duty concealed and as a BUG.

I've strolled through the pages and pages of talk on here about these two guns, the P2000sk and P30sk. For the life of me I cannot make a damn decision between these two.

I plan to carry IWB at 2:30 to 3:00 position (I'm right handed) or on my vest off-side at work. The gun will likely touch skin as here in California I tend to wear a t-shirt eight months out of the year.

The P30sk seems to run a bit cheaper than the P2000sk and people tend to favor the grip ergos and trigger. The P2000sk has a smoother grip against the body and it seems like the Trijicon HD's (the sight I will run on my USP) will fit and be less obtrusive than the P30 version.

Am I missing anything? Which would you go with and why?

I previously owned an HK45C which has the grip shape and texture of the P2000. I also have a full size USP45. It's personal but I think the grip shape will be closer between the P2000SK and your USP. Both are rectangular in shape (the USP more so) which I prefer. The greater similarity in grip shape might make it easier to transition between your duty gun and the P2000SK rather than the P30SK.

P2000SK vs P30SK...again

I would go with (and did) the P30SK.

I shot a friends P2000SK with yellow Trijicon Sights. It was a very nice little gun.

However, the reconfigurable panels on the grip of the P30SK really sold me.

Both shot well using HKs center of Dot.

(One note: the Trijicon HDs I had on my VP9 were sharper than a Ginzu Knife on late night Channel 20.

Really really sharp, especially the rear. If you are going to carry using HDs, I would highly recommend checking if they have radiused the sight construction.

Of course, if you are familiar with HDs, please disregard this comment.)

Good luck, it seems hard to go wrong with either.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-22-2017 at 05:21 PM.

You described the difference pretty well. And Xrslug's points were well taken. I've shot the P2000SK a lot; the P30SK only a bit. I'm happy with the P2000SK with the HD sights (prefer the orange over the yellow, which washes out more against the sky and other light backgrounds). Some find the flat grip slick, which can be easily remedied with Talon stick-on grips or stippling. My P2000SK fits in my HK45C JMCK OWB holster (although the holster is a bit long). Dagga Boy has posted about the issue with HD rear sight's edges on the 30SK. The 30SK does come with adjustable side panels. I'd have to vote P2000SK.

Something about my grip/finger length/hand shape/whatever causes me to regularly eject magazines while shooting HKs with an extended magazine release. It has happened with the P30, and with a USP Compact and a P2000 with HK45c levers installed, but I have no issues with the P2000 or USP Compact with the standard lever installed. I've seen a few posts on HKPro where others have had the same issue. While you'll probably be fine, selling an almost new gun at a substantial loss because you keep dumping out your ammo when you shoot it sucks. If you haven't fired a P30 variant, I'd try before you buy just to make sure you're not one of the unfortunate few.

It's a shame, too, because I'm kind of lusting after a P30LS to run cocked and locked...

I really think Xrslug nailed it. I also want to point out that some find the P30, in general, squirms in their hand due to the rounded grip shape. That could be a real issue if you needed to draw the pistol in either role you mention since you are more familiar with the USP grip shape. I really think in your applications that the P2000SK would serve you well.

I've had both, I choose the P2000SK of the two. Both were 9mm, P2000SK was V2 LEM... P30SK was V3 DA/SA. I also really like V2 LEM for a carry gun, it was actually the first LEM offering from H&K... which I believe best suited at 7-8 lbs. You cannot order P30SK with V2 from factory... fwiw.

Things I also really like about P2000SK...

-Slimmer in the frame
    -Magazine Floor Plate allowed me to get all fingers aboard (small hands)
    -Better sights (not luminescent, subjective)
    -No front cocking serrations
    -Frame is not going to irritate bare skin
    -Mag release is less likely to accidentally bump, especially if exposed in holster

I've been carrying the P30sk aiwb for a few weeks and really like it. The V3 trigger takes more work, especially one handed shooting, but not insurmountable. I have Trijicon HDs on it and they shoot point of aim (dot covering target). The rears are sharp but I have a full sweat guard on my JMCK George and havent been bothered by it. Hasnt torn up any shirts yet. Will probably take a dremel to it though and just tone them down a bit.

I believe the P2000sk would provide a grip more similar to your USP. As stated previously, the ergos of the P30 series are great, but some folks find that detrimental to the steering of the gun. I spent many years shooting the P30, and have come to prefer the slab sides of the P2000 and finally the USPc. The P2000sk handles like a much larger gun for me. And the USP is certainly a larger gun.
    Taking a break from social media.

P2000sk. I really like mine. I have a V3 DA/SA. I added Trijicon HDs and the larger HK 45 paddle releases. Fantastic little gun. Like the Sig P239, it shoots like a larger gun.

Sorry, I don't have experience with theP30.
    Good luck
    Frank

User Tag List