Thread: Current State of Winchester Ranger T QC?

Current State of Winchester Ranger T QC?

I've come across reports in a couple of places, including here as I recall, about their being a dip in Quality Control on the Winchester Ranger T stuff. Any news on where it is now?

Were the issues primarily with expansion reliability ( I recall doc mentioning over the years dies getting worn not sure if that was the latest problem) or were they of a bigger and more concerning nature?

Or was it internet "the sky is falling" malarkey all along?
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I've come across reports in a couple of places, including here as I recall, about their being a dip in Quality Control on the Winchester Ranger T stuff. Any news on where it is now?

Were the issues primarily with expansion reliability ( I recall doc mentioning over the years dies getting worn not sure if that was the latest problem) or were they of a bigger and more concerning nature?

Or was it internet "the sky is falling" malarkey all along?
    My agency had significant issues with Ranger 9mm having occasional dead primers. It occurred enough that it has been relegated to training use only and is no longer authorized for duty carry.

We are still seeing a lot of crappy Winchester ammunition in all calibers and makes at the local range where I work on occasion, FWIW.

Site Supporter
    Some of the Winchester Ranger l.e. ammo will have a Z in front of the factory item number. The Z represents less than first quality. I forget the actual meaning of the designation. I would not be surprised if some of this stuff has issues but am shocked to learn that the regular batches might have issues. If you look at the Ranger ammo on sgammo.com, you'll see some with the Z. In the past I've noticed both--with and without Z.

Sgammo says that 'z' ammo is either contract overrun or ammo that wasn't accepted for some reason. They also post this in the description when they sell it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Some of the Winchester Ranger l.e. ammo will have a Z in front of the factory item number. The Z represents less than first quality. I forget the actual meaning of the designation. I would not be surprised if some of this stuff has issues but am shocked to learn that the regular batches might have issues. If you look at the Ranger ammo on sgammo.com, you'll see some with the Z. In the past I've noticed both--with and without Z.
    Yes, "regular stuff" provided on GOV contract as best quality duty ammo. Details here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-grain-(Q4364)

User Tag List