Thread: 223 Tikka and Military Ammo Question

223 Tikka and Military Ammo Question

Has anyone used mil-spec ammo in a Tikka 223 to any extent? I'm thinking of getting one for plinking/training, and would like the ability to grab a can of green tip instead of having to load for it.

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I don't think it's recommended. .223 chambers will be slightly tighter and you may pop primers. It may be possible to run a reamer for .223 wylde or 5.56 but I would ask a gunsmith.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/ar-1...56mm-chambers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya2JqLPyx4I
    Last edited by DamonL; 12-20-2017 at 03:15 AM.

I have had both the lightweight versions and the heavy, varmint barrel versions. Normally I ran handloads in each, but I also ran a fair bit of .mil stuff, including ball, and MK262.

I had zero issues as far as reliability. No popped primer, hard extraction or anything.

Both absolutely LOVED 52 grain SMKs with 25 grains of H335. As in better than 1/2 MOA. In fact I ended up selling the Varmint version due to the fact that the sporter barreled gun was mechanically capable of such accuracy. That said, I needed to be shooting over bags to be able to do it, as in the field, I am/was not physically able to shoot like that (not even close). However, it was still so accurate, there was no reason to own the heavy barreled version.

That gun was responsible for a phenomenal amount of coyotes, and one year while I was home on break for 30 days from overseas, I would drop my (then) only daughter off at daycare every morning, and hunt coyotes every single day. That Tikka was like the "Grim Reaper" to coyotes who got into the cattle, or around cattle operations.

10 below here, during a totally different time, but same rifle:

Very fun gun, and a good "understudy" or gun for a kid to learn on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Very fun gun, and a good "understudy" or gun for a kid to learn on.
    Thanks. I know what I'm getting for Christmas this year.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I think a T3 .223 with an SWFA fixed 6X Mil Quad in Talleys would be about unbeatable for many things, bolt gun wise.

BTW, I noted your Finn Aagaard sig line.

He was one of the Greats in my mind. He was so quiet, and not nearly as outspoken that many did not pay as much attention to him. That said, most "Big Names" did not hold a candle to him, experience wise, and his observations, and advice have always been something I have paid attention to. Great family man too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I think a T3 .223 with an SWFA fixed 6X Mil Quad in Talleys would be about unbeatable for many things, bolt gun wise.

BTW, I noted your Finn Aagaard sig line.

He was one of the Greats in my mind. He was so quiet, and not nearly as outspoken that many did not pay as much attention to him. That said, most "Big Names" did not hold a candle to him, experience wise, and his observations, and advice have always been something I have paid attention to. Great family man too.
    Agree 100% on Finn. I tend to get along pretty well with people who have read his work and know who he was.

I think he seemed quiet because his years hunting and guiding in Kenya taught him the value of simplicity, which made it hard for him as a writer because he sometimes struggled to speak highly of whatever shiny object his bosses wanted him to write about. Other writers could go on for days about 150 fps, but all he really wanted was a good bullet doing about 2,600 fps from a short-ish Mauser with a low-powered scope.

One of my favorite quotes of his has to do with a synthetic stock that had just been shipped to him: "I finished the outside of the stock quickly and easily by leaving it the way it came."

Back when I was heavy into Scout rifles, I wrote to him and to Jeff Cooper with several questions. Their replies are among my most treasured possessions.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 12-20-2017 at 02:10 PM.

My brother recently acquired a Howa 1500 in .223 and asked about running milsurp 5.56 through it. As it turns out, most 5.56 chambers aren't equal and consistent. There are only a couple of manufacturers that keep their tolerances consistent and within some relatively tight specs. In other words, there is only anecdotal evidence that running 5.56 through a .223 chambered rifle will result in pressure spikes and damage. That's right folks, another interweb legend isn't as true as we thought it was when we read about it or heard it told over the gun counter.

If you are worried about pressure signs, here's a link that tells you what to look for.

http://www.massreloading.com/reading...ure_signs.html
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List