Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread Split: Heavy Reece Concept (7.62 gas gun)

Thread Split: Heavy Reece Concept (7.62 gas gun)

I posted most of this in the Geissele SASS thread, but really wanted to develop this idea further and not derail that thread. Discuss:

I've owned a couple and handled/shot several more other 7.62 gas guns and I just don't like them. I haven't spent time with a KAC EMC/ECC, but everything else from Smith to LMT to DPMS to Colt just wasn't quite right. I think part of it may be the mission: too many guys think .308 must equal sniper rifle so they overglass and over barrel it. I'd like to play with a 14.5 with a medcon barrel. A 1-4 or 1-6 (or heck, maybe even just a TA11), and I think you'd have a pretty good heavy Recce. That's really the concept I want but soooo much money and inconsistencies in parts has me sticking with my 16" 700.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I think part of it may be the mission: too many guys think .308 must equal sniper rifle so they overglass and over barrel it.
    What do you see as the advantage of the "7.62 Heavy RECCE" concept described vs. a 5.56 version? Longer range? Better terminal performance? Would any gain be worth the extra size and weight?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    What do you see as the advantage of the "7.62 Heavy RECCE" concept described vs. a 5.56 version? Longer range? Better terminal performance? Would any gain be worth the extra size and weight?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts...
    My thoughts are more centered around better terminal performance, especially through barriers and/or vehicle incapacitation. It may be falsehood though. Just my initial thought.
    Food Court Apprentice

My thoughts are more centered around better terminal performance, especially through barriers and/or vehicle incapacitation. It may be falsehood though. Just my initial thought.
    With ammo like this that could be true;

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/spee...8-p-59065.aspx

Site Supporter
    These capabilities are generally ammo dependent. Bonded 5.56 or AP 5.56 will perform better that M80 ball in 7.62 in those instances.

Vehicle incapacitation is normally accomplished by hitting hoses etc with multiple shots rather than cracking an engine block. More shots in 5.56 = greater chance of vehile incapacitation.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I'm just parroting information, but it seems like a .308 gas gun can make a precision rifle if the right people work on it.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 6.00.10 PM.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  101.1 KB
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    With ammo like this that could be true;

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/spee...8-p-59065.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    These capabilities are generally ammo dependent. Bonded 5.56 or AP 5.56 will perform better that M80 ball in 7.62 in those instances.

Vehicle incapacitation is normally accomplished by hitting hoses etc with multiple shots rather than cracking an engine block. More shots in 5.56 = greater chance of vehile incapacitation.
    I currently load 55gr 5.56 and 64gr .223 Gold Dot in my AR's, so I would do the same in 7.62 (I shoot 150gr Fusion, same bullet in my 700.)
    Food Court Apprentice

If you are building a gun to test a concept it is ok buy parts and assemble one. Aeroprecision upper and lower, lower parts kit, stock kit, barrel, etc. Maybe not duty grade, but makes it affordable and you can buy pieces to your concept spec over time.

I posted most of this in the Geissele SASS thread, but really wanted to develop this idea further and not derail that thread. Discuss:

I've owned a couple and handled/shot several more other 7.62 gas guns and I just don't like them. I haven't spent time with a KAC EMC/ECC, but everything else from Smith to LMT to DPMS to Colt just wasn't quite right. I think part of it may be the mission: too many guys think .308 must equal sniper rifle so they overglass and over barrel it. I'd like to play with a 14.5 with a medcon barrel. A 1-4 or 1-6 (or heck, maybe even just a TA11), and I think you'd have a pretty good heavy Recce. That's really the concept I want but soooo much money and inconsistencies in parts has me sticking with my 16" 700.
    I love my .308 gas gun with a 1-6. Handy for anything from contact to 600. Light enough to carry all day.

The DPMS GII format is my current favorite for the AR10-style. It is lighter and handier (more like an AR15 with a big mag well) than the legacy 308 pattern.

I would love to see more gun makers building on the GII chassis and/or aftermarket companies making barrels and such.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

User Tag List