Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock Armorer's Class

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Going to the Armorer class will officially teach you that using aftermarket parts (aside from sights) is Not a Good Idea™. Your plan may backfire on you.
    What Charlie Said.

I think what's probably more important from the p-f participant point of view is that there's an accumulation of experienced knowledge here that I believe verifies that unless you really, really know what you're doing when you modify OEM components on a Glock (or for that matter, pretty much on any platform), you're running a fairly high risk of inherently opening yourself up for malfunctions based on that modification per se, or setting yourself up for a domino effect, inducing malfunctions due to the effect that the modification has on other components and the overall operational cycle. Ditto for substituting cottage industry non-OEM components for OEM components, particularly components integral to the action.

Personally, I stick with OEM components, judiciously swapping out parts to fine-tune my individual Glocks to my needs and preferences, but sticking with OEM Glock parts (other than sights and butt plugs). Other "tuning" that I do has to do with specific lubricant applications and actually using the guns to burnish parts together, and replacing specified components within forecasted recommended replacement intervals. Oddly enough, my Glocks run very, very well...

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    I went in January of this year as a gun range employee that also is a stocking Glock dealer. I understand that much of what is covered is available online or from other (free) sources. All-in-all, I am happy that I took the time to take the class, and would recommend it to anyone who uses Glocks regularly. I'll admit that probably 75-80% of what was covered I have heard before, but having it confirmed by the factory is good, and the nuggets that i didn't know was well worth the time.

I've gone to the Glock AC every few years for about twenty years. Thoughts....

Go the factory AC at least once for history, parts access, and what that factory says is spec. Whether you like or dislike spec, it's the baseline.
    Use that as a filter for the other info floating in the open.
    The Glock AC is not a single product. Different instructors and venues add or take away from the course.
    Combining an AC with an IW or OC adds context and opportunity.
    GI internal climate and current events in the region/country color the course.
    Regional GI staff on site add to the course. Occasional drop in reps from complementary manufacturers also occur.
    Other students, esp volume users, hard shooters, and better thinkers add to the course. An AC can be good for networking.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-21-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I think what's probably more important from the p-f participant point of view is that there's an accumulation of experienced knowledge here that I believe verifies that unless you really, really know what you're doing when you modify OEM components on a Glock (or for that matter, pretty much on any platform), you're running a fairly high risk of inherently opening yourself up for malfunctions based on that modification per se, or setting yourself up for a domino effect, inducing malfunctions due to the effect that the modification has on other components and the overall operational cycle. Ditto for substituting cottage industry non-OEM components for OEM components, particularly components integral to the action.

Personally, I stick with OEM components, judiciously swapping out parts to fine-tune my individual Glocks to my needs and preferences, but sticking with OEM Glock parts (other than sights and butt plugs). Other "tuning" that I do has to do with specific lubricant applications and actually using the guns to burnish parts together, and replacing specified components within forecasted recommended replacement intervals. Oddly enough, my Glocks run very, very well...

Best, Jon
    Yes, I agree 100% regarding OEM parts. My interest in the armorers course stems from a desire to do what you've done - mix and match factory parts.

The only after-market items I'd consider installing are The Gadget and (maybe) an after market barrel.
    Last edited by Mark D; 09-21-2017 at 11:47 PM. Reason: barrel

User Tag List