Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Armorer's Class

Glock Armorer's Class

Is it possible for a civilian to go through the Glock armorer's class? I've been told you have to either be in a police department or work at a gun shop?

Are there any other avenues to attend one?

Thanks.

Site Supporter
    If you have a membership in the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF), you're able to sign up for the armorer's course. You're also able to compete in GSSF indoor and outdoor matches and purchase a Glock at a reduced price. There's more information on the GSSF website

Rack I wouldn't waste the time and money on it. There are plenty of quality books and videos that cover the information you get in the class without leaving home. The access to parts is covered too. Unless you need the certification for something.

Quote Originally Posted by T Smith View Post
    If you have a membership in the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF), you're able to sign up for the armorer's course. You're also able to compete in GSSF indoor and outdoor matches and purchase a Glock at a reduced price. There's more information on the GSSF website
    Thanks. I think I knew that and had forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Rack I wouldn't waste the time and money on it. There are plenty of quality books and videos that cover the information you get in the class without leaving home. The access to parts is covered too. Unless you need the certification for something.
    I've thought this same thing. I've wondered if it would even be worth it, since it's such an easy platform to work on and have been very familiar with it for years. This site also has just about all the info one might want for the Glock, anyway.

While there's indeed plenty of "how to" stuff out there on YouTube et al, the Armor's course is also a great source for more detailed insights on various components and "things Glock." While it's gotten a tad spendy for what it is, I still highly recommend it. The one I went to in 2008 was taught by Dennis Tueller, and was exceptionally worthwhile.

Best, Jon

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Is it possible for a civilian to go through the Glock armorer's class? I've been told you have to either be in a police department or work at a gun shop?

Are there any other avenues to attend one?

Thanks.
    Yes, it is possible. I am not an LEO and attended a class via GSSF. Also,

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    This is accurate

I have considered going to the armorer's course through the GSSF. I'd like to learn the "correct" way to work on the platform. The other consideration is the legal cover the course provides if one were to use a self-modifed Glock in a lethal force encounter. In my overly litigious jurisdiction, using a home-brewed Glock would be ripe fodder for an ambitious DA or civil attorney, unless one was able to say "yes, I modified my Glock, however I am a certified Glock armorer". Folks in other parts of the country may not have the same concerns.

On the other hand, my odds of experiencing (another) lethal force situation are slim, and I aim to keep it that way. Additionally, I don't currently carry a Glock. Thus I haven't committed the time and energy to actually attend the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I have considered going to the armorer's course through the GSSF. I'd like to learn the "correct" way to work on the platform. The other consideration is the legal cover the course provides if one were to use a self-modifed Glock in a lethal force encounter. In my overly litigious jurisdiction, using a home-brewed Glock would be ripe fodder for an ambitious DA or civil attorney, unless one was able to say "yes, I modified my Glock, however I am a certified Glock armorer". Folks in other parts of the country may not have the same concerns.

On the other hand, my odds of experiencing (another) lethal force situation are slim, and I aim to keep it that way. Additionally, I don't currently carry a Glock. Thus I haven't committed the time and energy to actually attend the course.
    Going to the Armorer class will officially teach you that using aftermarket parts (aside from sights) is Not a Good Idea™. Your plan may backfire on you.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Going to the Armorer class will officially teach you that using aftermarket parts (aside from sights) is Not a Good Idea™. Your plan may backfire on you.
    This. Even any supplemental work, such as simple and minimal smoothing of parts that rub each other, that isn't documented as part of the training you received, could be portrayed as you recklessly disregarding the best available practices, in which you were officially trained.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List