View Poll Results: How do you like your triggers?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • One trigger system to rule them all.

25 43.86%
  • Variety is the spice of life.

32 56.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Master of One or Jack of All Triggers?

Master of One or Jack of All Triggers?

Do you focus on mastering one trigger system or do you like to stay proficient across multiple?

Personally I like to stay in practice with several styles (1911 style, DA/SA, striker) unless I'm specifically preparing for a class or match. I do limit it to only frame mounted safeties though. Since this is a forum of shooters verse specific accumulators I'm curious how people are split on this.

I compete with a 2011, am required to carry a Glock when doing certain things, and choose to carry the vp9. It's difficult to stay proficient across them, I think the only saving Grace I have is shooting enough volume where I can stay at a good level and historically I have high round counts on them. I put the grip force adapter on the Glock to even out the grip angle as well.

I would not recommend this strategy until you have reached a level of mastery where you can pick up any gun and shoot it well. You also need to decide how much of a razors edge you need to keep. When I'm training up for a national competition I'll be burning 300-500 a week and try not to vary weapons at all. In the off season I'm varied.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dr. No; 09-20-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    I found it a little tricky going between my Berettas and 1911s...even during untimed slow fire.

As a consequence, I've stopped trying that, put the 1911s back in the safe, and am getting rid of Glocks almost entirely. I will be endeavoring to make GM with a Beretta before considering even another TDA gun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just realized that all my handguns are either DA/SA autos or DA revolvers. Thought I had a striker something-or-other, maybe I still do somewhere... not a good sign that I don't remember :/
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I voted master of one as I feel it's ideal. I spend some time with others, but focus hard on my primary carry system.

I prefer Glocks for carry and defense, so I wanted to vote for one trigger system to rule them all. But since I also use other guns, I voted for the second choice.

I occasionally carry a LCP.

Since I benched my Sig 320s, I now compete with the CZ Shadow 2.

As well, I compete and train with 2 stage AR and precision rifle triggers.

I guess I feel pretty comfortable with a variety of systems.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-20-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I think it is hard to be at the razor edge of performance with more than one trigger system, and maybe even with more than one exact pistol. Fortunately, that level of performance is mainly germane to gaming.

Guns are tools, and there are reasons folks shoot more than one. Examples being carry gun, gaming gun, assigned gun, bear gun, hunting rifle, shotgun and carbine. Excellent shooters can press any trigger better than good shooters dedicated to just one trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I prefer Glocks for carry and defense, so I wanted to vote for one trigger system to rule them all. But since I also use other guns, I voted for the second choice.

I occasionally carry a LCP.

Since I benched my Sig 320s, I now compete with the CZ Shadow 2.

As well, I compete and train with 2 stage AR and precision rifle triggers.

I guess I feel pretty comfortable with a variety of systems.
    I bet you have a P07 by Christmas.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You can be pretty darn real good with a whole bunch of different triggers but if you are trying to get to some "next level" stuff, I find it unlikely you can produce the same results across all your guns.

When I was A class in USPSA I shot about 3 different guns and I pretty much shot them all the same.

But when I started to train with the goal of winning Section Matches or Matchmeister, I just couldn't have the M&P for USPSA, P2000 for carry (I was in Det's at the time) and still try to compete in GSSF with my Glock.

So I just went to Glocks.
    A71593

I like all guns and don't limit myself to one specific pistol brand/trigger style, one specific rifle family or one specific shotgun style. Sometimes I hunt with my A400, other times it's my Over/Under. Sometimes I shoot my bolt guns, other times it's my ARs and other times it's my AKs. I carry what I feel like carrying at that point of the year. Guns are one of my main hobbies...I don't just shoot for self defense or gaming. I like mechanical items and guns tick off a lot of those boxes for me. Getting proficient with TDA guns opened a whole new world to me besides what I grew up on, which was just "Glock." To me, only shooting one type/brand of gun is just boring. I still chase perfomance goals but I'll also chase those goals with multiple guns to see if I can reach them. Just keeps it interesting. I was solely Beretta for the last ~8,000 rounds, now I'm having a love fest with my Gen 5 Glocks, and I'm sure I'll be carrying something else by Christmas. If that's gonna get me kilt in da skreetz then so be it

I think I'm gonna focus on 1911s/EDC X9 after I finish my little honeymoon with my Gen 5s. Mix it up a little.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 09-20-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List