Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Issue Taking a SCD Apart?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    NP3 sucks for a Glock slide, very slick. Don't know if that other coating will be similar
    Lots of folks like to church up the name, but nickel with teflon imbedded is NP3. Nickel Boron is about as slick with a much higher thickness (Per KC Jones who does the finish for WMD, .005"). Any of the nickel based finishes (that provide serious corrosion resistance) will be slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NP3 sucks for a Glock slide, very slick. Don't know if that other coating will be similar
    Only pistol I had done by Robar was my S&W 642-1, and the 9mm cylinder I sent in later to be matched. Done in NP3 Plus, and along with my two shotguns (870 Police and Ithaca 37; same finish), no issues with slipping off anything plated.

I have a few pistols done with CPII... PX4 (had two done; sold the .45, still have the 9mm), Glock 30S, and Ruger LCP. Never had any issue with slickness. Had magazines and Garand clips done, as well as small parts of a half dozen other firearms (barrels, controls, charging handles, bolts). No issues thus far... and have been using CCR since 2005ish. Started CPII on guns in either 2009 or 2010.

While NP3 and other similar finishes are self-lubricating... it is far from an oiled gun part. Parts that have serrations, like the rear of slides, still function the same. Used the Glock with sweaty hands, and no problem. If I had a grip issue with a CPII coated firearm, Id say I probably would have the same issue with the stock finish.

I cant see an issue arising, especially with the serrations on the back of the SCD, but either way, will post about the end result. If it doesnt work out, the plated one will be filed away (looking at the circular filing cabinet next to my desk)... and will order a new SCD (non-blem).

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Only pistol I had done by Robar was my S&W 642-1, and the 9mm cylinder I sent in later to be matched. Done in NP3 Plus, and along with my two shotguns (870 Police and Ithaca 37; same finish), no issues with slipping off anything plated.

I have a few pistols done with CPII... PX4 (had two done; sold the .45, still have the 9mm), Glock 30S, and Ruger LCP. Never had any issue with slickness. Had magazines and Garand clips done, as well as small parts of a half dozen other firearms (barrels, controls, charging handles, bolts). No issues thus far... and have been using CCR since 2005ish. Started CPII on guns in either 2009 or 2010.

While NP3 and other similar finishes are self-lubricating... it is far from an oiled gun part. Parts that have serrations, like the rear of slides, still function the same. Used the Glock with sweaty hands, and no problem. If I had a grip issue with a CPII coated firearm, Id say I probably would have the same issue with the stock finish.

I cant see an issue arising, especially with the serrations on the back of the SCD, but either way, will post about the end result. If it doesnt work out, the plated one will be filed away (looking at the circular filing cabinet next to my desk)... and will order a new SCD (non-blem).
    CP2 is Nickel Boron (judging by the description on their website). This means coating thickness is most likely closer to .005" (BIG difference from .0005"). Double check to make sure that that thickness is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    CP2 is Nickel Boron (judging by the description on their website). This means coating thickness is most likely closer to .005" (BIG difference from .0005"). Double check to make sure that that thickness is not an issue.

Step ahead of you...

Its been a while since I looked into the technical stuff behind it, but want to say 0.0007 or 0.0008 was the numbers I remember. Could very well be 0.007 or 0.008, but looking to get verification.

Robar accidentally did the slide of a Glock in NP3. Makes manipulations more difficult for me.

Step ahead of you...

Its been a while since I looked into the technical stuff behind it, but want to say 0.0007 or 0.0008 was the numbers I remember. Could very well be 0.007 or 0.008, but looking to get verification.
    KC Jones is the big plating company for Nickel Boron. I'm sorry, but if they quote .005" for thickness (and do a shit load of guns) that is probably the industry standard for the coating. Every nickel teflon coating company quotes .0001-.0005". That is the minimum to the max. The notion that this company could cut that number in half (for the same finish) just isn't possible at the quoted prices. The price difference arises from the environmental fees (Nickel Teflon incurs serious fees due to chemicals used in the process to plate... I know, because I pay them on a regular basis) and the amount of time involved in NP3 coating (27+ hours from start to finish).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    That almost certainly wont be a problem.
    Would 0.005 be an issue? Figured Id ask both sides.

I will flat out say I have no clue. I know how it affects parts like slides and barrels, not something like a roll pin in a part. I will say, I would not coat parts in anything that added over .0005" in plating thickness (because NP3 has been shown to be a good coating for firearms over the last couple decades). The fad of eco friendly nickel Boron has come about in the last 5 years. Will it effect a factory Glock slide or Glock barrel? Probably not.

Site Supporter
    It the buildup is 0.005 you almost certainly wont be able to reassemble the parts after they are coated. So yes, 0.005 would be an issue.

Site Supporter
    Robar accidentally did the slide of a Glock in NP3. Makes manipulations more difficult for me.
    After owning and shooting everything from Ruger SP-101 revolvers to Glock pistols to 1911-pattern guns finished in NP3, I agree with this. NP3 shines for internals and for things like the SCD where the user is just applying pressure normal to the finished surface. When using serrations, NP3 makes getting a solid grasp on the slide more difficult. "Colt-style" narrow-pitch 1911 serrations are less impacted by the finish than the wider Glock-style serrations. I believe this is due to the sharper serrations of the 1911, not the pitch. The more the grasping surface shreds skin, the better it is with NP3. Checkered NP3 front straps are awesome, serrated front straps are not so awesome.

The finish build up for NP3 from Robar for firearms is around 0.0005". It can be plated in other thicknesses from about 0.0001" to 0.0050" in accordance with one of the industry (aerospace and automotive) standards. Robar is the firearms facing side while Coating Technologies, Inc. is the mass production aerospace/automotive side of the same business.

Back in the late 1990s, Robar once plated the bore of a P7M8 for me. The pistol was safe to fire as the buildup was minimal, but there is a reason (time drove costs) why Robar does not plate barrel bores now.

I would have no concerns about plating NP3 onto a SCD. I may include a few of the "blems" in my next order and see what happens.

User Tag List