Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Medical/First Aid Kit pouches/bags

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    It's crazy the red is $10 more and double the shipping
    I know, and it's the color I want the most! I am already a little miffed that the MFAK I got for my birthday came in black, but I bought a bright red cross patch to throw on it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennzoil View Post
    Pelican makes some excellent adjustable soft dividers and Seahorse probably makes something similar. I have the Pelican ones in some of my cases and they work great.

The reason I like the idea of hard cases is if its setting in the vehicle and doesn't need to be mobile it protects your medical items and their packaging. You'll have to replace items less due to wear and tear this way in the long hual. I'm currently going through our kits replacing things due to wear and tear that are now going in the training bin.
    So after mulling it over some, I went with your suggestion and snagged an orange Pelican 1500 for cheap on Ebay.

I think my plan will be to buy small color coded pouches for individual uses/needs (Boo Boo kit, trauma/BLS kit, BVM, IV kit) and to keep the pelican in my house. I can grab individual items as I see fit, or drag the whole case along. The case will keep all the contents intact if I bring them anywhere together. Can also just leave it in my car, too.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-23-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Also I just found this by Chinook Medical- maybe the best personal FAK I've seen. Great value and has lots of good stuff in it. I might snag one of those later.

edit: this first responder bag looks awesome too.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-23-2017 at 04:42 PM.

I started a med kit comparison a while back - because it's hard to visualize all the differences in vendor bag contents. Different tabs at bottom of spreadsheet for different kit types.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n22b27...017-09-21.xlsx

Med bags/pouches are like shoes and holsters. You'll need to use a bunch to "get there", and find your intersection of footprint, price-point, function, and aesthetics. The good news is that there is so much GTG gear out there right now that there aren't any real bad choices. The longer I've been in it, the smaller my kits have gotten and the more I make of what's in them. As in self defense discussion, there's a bell curve of events and complaints. Critically important is developing your bell curve of who you'll actually help and what you'll do for them. Like my bags, my list of who-and-what has shrunk too. I started out with big 3-day sized Eagle/STOMPs/LBT 1562s loaded to save the world. Off the bus today, my first-out and most frequently used LE work bag and EDC POV kit is a TMS drop-leg. In my man-purse, a pretty typical IFAK pouch like this one: http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/produ...-Operator-IFAK, plus some add-ons. I never liked hard cases for anything but controlled/expensive items on the ambulance. Fixed footprint, no flexibility, extra weight. It's also harder to be an anonymous first-aider with an ALS laden pelican. For a consistently lay-provider without a duty a act, I'd opt for discretion. You can still have your Staples "yeah, I've got that!" moment.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I pulled a few kits down from my supplies and snapped some pictures to show pouches, packing lists, and footprints. Some individual components may vary depending on the kit variant and pack date.

Tactical Medical Solutions "Downed Officer Kit". Contains the most-essentials for a single-person bleeder, and you can make a chest dressing with the contents. I know of several folks using that kit that have saves. A great basic kit at $40.00. 1 patient kit.

Name:  kits (11).jpg
Views: 391
Size:  75.6 KB

TMS Outdoors, Hunters Trauma Kit "Small", "Operator", and "Ballistic Response Pack." Same theme as the DOK in a pouch, adds a boo-boo pouch. 1 patient kits. Pretty functional.

Name:  kits (6).jpg
Views: 443
Size:  82.2 KB

Legacy USAF IFAK. Builds on the above with 2 IBDs, 2 H&H gauze, an NPA, and a more complete boo-boo/snivel kit. Very functional. A little bigger footprint. Maybe 2 injured, depending on what's up. See also: Army and USMC kits.

Name:  kits (3).jpg
Views: 409
Size:  87.5 KBName:  kits (4).jpg
Views: 388
Size:  62.4 KBName:  kits (5).jpg
Views: 415
Size:  78.3 KB

If we gucci it up a bit, here's a great configuration. Differs from the above with a rip-off pouch and manufactured chest seal. Adds an IV start set, cric kit, chest needle for ALS providers. Small kit, mountable or portable. Slightly bigger than the TMS Outdoors kits above, slightly smaller than the mil IFAK. One patient. Maybe 2, depending. Great packing list.

Name:  kits (1).jpg
Views: 427
Size:  97.0 KB

For a trunk kit, this is more money but does a lot more work. Tactical Medical Solutions "ARK". Center compartment has seven throwables. Side pouches drop open to work from. Bag is great in a CCP. Lots of patients, and has some ALS supplies.

Name:  kits (7).jpg
Views: 411
Size:  68.7 KBName:  kits (8).jpg
Views: 429
Size:  83.8 KBName:  kits (9).jpg
Views: 403
Size:  79.1 KBName:  kits (10).jpg
Views: 398
Size:  83.4 KB

It's really easy to get wrapped around the axle on kits. In the end, they're all more similar than different...especially if you have solid underlying skills.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-26-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I pulled a few kits down from my supplies and snapped some pictures to show pouches, packing lists, and footprints. Some individual components may vary depending on the kit variant and pack date.

Tactical Medical Solutions "Downed Officer Kit". Contains the most-essentials for a single-person bleeder, and you can make a chest dressing with the contents. I know of several folks using that kit that have saves. A great basic kit at $40.00. 1 patient kit.

Name:  kits (11).jpg
Views: 391
Size:  75.6 KB

TMS Outdoors, Hunters Trauma Kit "Small", "Operator", and "Ballistic Response Pack." Same theme as the DOK in a pouch, adds a boo-boo pouch. 1 patient kits. Pretty functional.

Name:  kits (6).jpg
Views: 443
Size:  82.2 KB

Legacy USAF IFAK. Builds on the above with 2 IBDs, 2 H&H gauze, an NPA, and a more complete boo-boo/snivel kit. Very functional. A little bigger footprint. Maybe 2 injured, depending on what's up. See also: Army and USMC kits.

Name:  kits (3).jpg
Views: 409
Size:  87.5 KBName:  kits (4).jpg
Views: 388
Size:  62.4 KBName:  kits (5).jpg
Views: 415
Size:  78.3 KB

If we gucci it up a bit, here's a great configuration. Differs from the above with a rip-off pouch and manufactured chest seal. Adds an IV start set, cric kit, chest needle for ALS providers. Small kit, mountable or portable. Slightly bigger than the TMS Outdoors kits above, slightly smaller than the mil IFAK. One patient. Maybe 2, depending. Great packing list.

Name:  kits (1).jpg
Views: 427
Size:  97.0 KB

For a trunk kit, this is more money but does a lot more work. Tactical Medical Solutions "ARK". Center compartment has seven throwables. Side pouches drop open to work from. Bag is great in a CCP. Lots of patients, and has some ALS supplies.

Name:  kits (7).jpg
Views: 411
Size:  68.7 KBName:  kits (8).jpg
Views: 429
Size:  83.8 KBName:  kits (9).jpg
Views: 403
Size:  79.1 KBName:  kits (10).jpg
Views: 398
Size:  83.4 KB

It's really easy to get wrapped around the axle on kits. In the end, they're all more similar than different...especially if you have solid underlying skills.
    thanks - those are awesome!

What I eventually want is a modular version of the latter ARK type kit. an IFAK style kit with some chewable ASA for MIs is something that I want to have in my vehicle at all times, but the rest I want to subdivide by purpose into individual kits that I can chuck in the Pelican case if I want to bring it all with me. Otherwise, most would stay at home. Mini-kits I'd like to include:

1. Boo-boo kit (Minor medical/trauma)
    2. Major trauma kit (basically a big, well stocked IFAK)
    3. BVM + non-invasive airway kit
    4. IV start kit + bags of NS
    5. Minor surgical/procedural kit for lac repair

Notice that some of these kits (i.e. lac repair, boo boo kit) are not really well suited for emergency first response, but more first aid in austere environments. These would almost certainly stay at home 99.9% of the time. The ultimately goal is not only to save space in my trunk, but also to ensure that whatever kit I open up on the side of the road has exactly what I need and as few extras as possible. Don't need a BVM if someone has a brachial artery lac.

Medical/First Aid Kit pouches/bags

I came across this putting a Christmas wish list and thought it would be great for securing to a atv/utv rack.

http://darkangelmedical.com/ammo-c-a-n-trauma-kit/

Especially since I’ve already put mine on it’s side this year doing some rock crawling .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 11-18-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Medical/First Aid Kit pouches/bags

I recommend in my courses and practice myself, that ALL civilian based medical kits should be orange or red, to minimize confusion.

If I’m tangled up, in some wreckage trying to triage/treat wounded and I tell someone to run up to my pickup and grab the MULTICAM MEDICAL KIT, and they don’t know what MULTICAM is, then all we’re doing is wasting time. People who aren’t accustomed to working efficiently around the dead, dying, or extremely ill/injured, get really dumb, really quickly.

If I instead say, “Get the RED BAG from behind my seat in that white pickup,” the confusion is gone. ALL of my life-saving kits are red or orange. My boo boo and comfort kits aren’t red nor orange. And I recommend that those kits are kept separated.

I don’t like kits that go in M4 mag pouches, Ammo cans, etc. since when you need that kit, you might not be the rescuer, but the rescuee. And thus it would suck to croak needlessly when the gear was present the entire time.

At the very least, paint that Ammo can RED or ORANGE, and stencil a big cross on the side.

civiliandefender.com
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 11-18-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    If I’m tangled up, in some wreckage trying to triage/treat wounded and I tell someone to run up to my pickup and grab the MULTICAM MEDICAL KIT, and they don’t know what MULTICAM is, then all we’re doing is wasting time. People who aren’t accustomed to working efficiently around the dead, dying, or extremely ill/injured, get really dumb, really quickly.

If I instead say, “Get the RED BAG from behind my seat in that white pickup,” the confusion is gone.
    Have your cake and eat it too.

Name:  IMG_5834.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  66.2 KB
    Last edited by ST911; 11-18-2017 at 08:30 PM.

User Tag List