Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical/First Aid Kit pouches/bags

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Neph, apologies for the hijack but your list (thanks for sharing that) is reminding me of your comment in another thread on the utility of the chewable aspirin. Have you ever seen a source for that in individual packages? Everything I have seen is in a larger dose, and enteric coated. Thanks.
    I know that at least one company makes individually packaged 81mg chewable ASA. Here is one link; I know there are likely others.

I am going to just get a whole bottle or packet from the grocery store because if someone is having an MI I don't mind doing away with the whole unit. it's $10. Worth it.

As a reminder, the appropriate dose for someone with a suspected MI is ~325 mg (or 4 81mg chewable tabs) administered immediately. Have them chew into powder and swallow with water if you have some.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennzoil View Post
    I'd look at something like a Seahorse or Pelican case if it doesn't need to be within arms reach and it sounds like you already have a bag for that with the MFAK. You can sometimes find them or Pelican cases slightly used for cheap.

Here is an example of Independence Trainings kit, which is where I got the idea from.

Attachment 20216

For disclosure Independence Training are great people and friends. I make no $ off their stuff.
    Thanks! that's a great idea. I bet I can find used pelicans on Ebay for cheap. The only reason I like the soft pak or purpose built bag is for pockets/dividers built for medical gear.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-20-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Thank you! I've found it in bottles on Amazon before but am unlikely to tote one around with me (I have a couple in a ziploc in my backpack, and in my desk at work). I don't like to travel internationally with medicines not in original packaging, so that blister pack stuff may work.

Hammertime
    I just threw a bunch of stuff in a zip lock freezer bag and keep it in a dedicated pouch on my man bag

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

Thanks! that's a great idea. I bet I can find used pelicans on Ebay for cheap. The only reason I like the soft pak or purpose built bag is for pockets/dividers built for medical gear.
    Pelican makes some excellent adjustable soft dividers and Seahorse probably makes something similar. I have the Pelican ones in some of my cases and they work great.

The reason I like the idea of hard cases is if its setting in the vehicle and doesn't need to be mobile it protects your medical items and their packaging. You'll have to replace items less due to wear and tear this way in the long hual. I'm currently going through our kits replacing things due to wear and tear that are now going in the training bin.
    Last edited by Pennzoil; 09-20-2017 at 06:05 PM.
    Owner of Ryker Nylon Gear - Ryker Nylon Gear Facebook

Haha not a problem. I am still working on my list but here is the rough draft (sorry for the formatting - from a spreadsheet)

Item Size/Dimensions Qty Category
    CAT-T n/a 2 Major Trauma
    Israeli Compression Bandages 6" 4 Major Trauma
    Penlight n/a 1 Dx
    Emergency Blankets 52x84" 2 General
    Bottle 81mg chewable aspirin (For MI) n/a 1 Major Medical
    CPR Mask 2 Major Medical
    Nasopharyngeal airway 28Fr 2 Major Trauma
    Larygenal mask airway ? 1 Major trauma
    Self-adhesive tape n/a 1 roll General
    Surgical tape n/a 1 roll General
    APAP - Single Dose Packet n/a 6 General
    Ibuprofen - Single Dose Packet n/a 6 General
    Gauze 4x4 4x4" 6 Minor Trauma
    Exam Gloves, Nitrile Large 4 General
    Trauma Shears n/a 1 Trauma
    Isopropyl sterile pads n/a 12 General
    Assorted adhesive bandages Mixed 1 Pack Minor trauma
    SAM Splint 1 Major trauma
    Hyfin Ventilated Chest Seal (Pack of 2) 1 Major Trauma
    Pocket BVM 1 Major Medical/Trauma
    Multi-trauma pad dressing (10x30") 3 Major Trauma
    Adhesive adominal pad 2 Major Trauma
    Eyewash n/a 1 bottle Minor trauma
    Thanks for posting that Nephrology always curious what guys like you might choose to carry or have in the vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Thanks for posting that Nephrology always curious what guys like you might choose to carry or have in the vicinity.
    FWIW, if I hadn't placed a LMA or NPA before on a real person, I would not have them in my kit

edit: also add imodium x6 single use packets!!
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-20-2017 at 07:36 PM.

FWIW, if I hadn't placed a LMA or NPA before on a real person, I would not have them in my kit

edit: also add imodium x6 single use packets!!
    NPA's and J-tubes no sweat done that in training and for real and I never really thought of those as a big deal. It's probably because we're so used to taking crap up our orifices from Uncle Sugar all the time, when some dude comes in and says, "hey we have to shove rubber tubes up each others noses today because it's on the training calendar" nobody bats an eye. Everyone just shrugs, says roger and gets supine. What I found amazing through all the low level stuff I went through with the EMT-B and the PHTLS was how segregated the responsibilities and skills are in the medical profession. Blew my mind when the Army would let dudes stick needles into each others arms attach saline locks and crap like after two days but a Basic EMT can't even start a line even though they do a crap load more work, do rotations and are generally supervised by an EMT-I or P, or whatever they call them now. Not to get too side tracked but is an LMA harder to preform than a endotracheal intubation? Is there a specific reason for preference? Penny for your thoughts, not looking for huge detail as no doubt you would quickly go sailing over my head but I am just genuinely curious.
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-20-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    NPA's and J-tubes no sweat done that in training and for real and I never really thought of those as a big deal. It's probably because we're so used to taking crap up our orifices from Uncle Sugar all the time, when some dude comes in and says, "hey we have to shove rubber tubes up each others noses today because it's on the training calendar" nobody bats an eye. Everyone just shrugs, says roger and gets supine. What I found amazing through all the low level stuff I went through with the EMT-B and the PHTLS was how segregated the responsibilities and skills are in the medical profession. Blew my mind when the Army would let dudes stick needles into each others arms attach saline locks and crap like after two days but a Basic EMT can't even start a line even though they do a crap load more work, do rotations and are generally supervised by an EMT-I or P, or whatever they call them now. Not to get too side tracked but is an LMA harder to preform than a endotracheal intubation? Is there a specific reason for preference? Penny for your thoughts, not looking for huge detail as no doubt you would quickly go sailing over my head but I am just genuinely curious.
    Well, for starters, assuming our consumer person is your average Joe Blow with a white collar ish job , my big argument is that kit is unhelpful when they are 1) unlikely to practice with it 2) unlikely to need it in an emergency (or for it to be useful in an emergency) and 3) even if the need arises, because of 1) they won't know a) when they need it or b) how to place it. I'd prefer fewer options that they are well versed in executing versus a menu of things they mostly sort of know how to do and that aren't necessarily even pertinent, let alone indicated.

This is especially true for LMAs, which are are basically as invasive as you get. the NPA I only throw in there for giggles. The LMA is for someone who is going to lose their airway but who still can be ventilated (i.e. air can move thru the trachea into the lungs) or someone who is not breathing (overdose, cardiac arrest). Both are relatively easy to throw in but the LMA gives you a lot more control over their airway than the NPA which gives you almost none. The only other places to go from LMA are ET intubation or surgical airway if they can't be ventilated.

As far as hierarchy of responsibility, the hospital can be a little different - especially as an MD student. My expected contribution to patient care varies vastly from hospital to hospital, unit to unit. I spend the most time in the ED of a big county hospital because that's where I get to learn all this stuff. There's far more work than hands so it gets done. When I work at the nearby nationally-acclaimed children's hospital, I am on a very short leash.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-20-2017 at 09:05 PM.

I like this one as a headrest and standalone hauler.

https://www.lonestararmory.us/shop/g...adrest-system/

I like the old Marz Tactical one as well, but I have heard they went tits up.

Medical/First Aid Kit pouches/bags

Don't get me wrong I was just curious about your choice. I don't even have NPA's or anything for airway. Just bleeding in my kit which is really just hemostatic compress, TQ, an Israeli bandage because they are the freaking bomb and some tape. I have zero interest in trying to manage someone's airway and feel that's way above my pay grade now, hell even then. I was really just wondering if LMA was easier in general than the ET or if you felt there was more benefit to it over the ET for you specifically. Thanks for taking the time to humor me. It's really interesting to hear about your experiences, thoughts on this stuff along with your responsibilities and how they differ by locale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-20-2017 at 09:24 PM.

User Tag List