Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith 929 Out of the Box to Match REVIEW

That gives me a sad...

Thanks very much for the straight up review.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Based on my experience, I would really avoid the 986 and Smith 9mm in general. Mine (full size with 5 inch barrel) is back at Smith for the second time. First was a broken sear spring and cylinder replacement. Now it's a broken hammer spur at only 2800 rounds. According to Smith the hammer spur is a "normal wear item" not covered by warranty and they're charging me almost $300 to fix the gun. They've had it since the end of March and I still don't know when I'm getting it back.

If I were getting a revolver with a short barrel, I'd look at the new Model 66 with the 2.75 inch barrel. The gun has very good word of mouth and is about half the price of the PC986. You could buy a lot of 38s for the price difference and have a good reliable gun.
    Well, I have a 3" round butt M65, so I don't really need another short-barrel .357. The appeal is 9mm, if it doesn't work, then the appeal is gone.

Sorry your's has been a problem man. A hammer spur is a "wear item"? That's fucked.

Site Supporter
    For comparison purposes, in the 1990's, I broke a hammer-mounted firing pin on a Colt Detective Special while dry firing. The 1 year warranty had expired. When I called Colt, they said "Send us a copy of your receipt anyway, let us decide if the warranty is expired." The gun came back in about a month with a new hammer at no charge.

A hammer spur would seem much less likely to break than a firing pin. I don't really see how it could happen absent either extreme abuse or a defective hammer.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 09-21-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Originally Posted by Tom Duffy

If I were getting a revolver with a short barrel, I'd look at the new Model 66 with the 2.75 inch barrel. The gun has very good word of mouth and is about half the price of the PC986. You could buy a lot of 38s for the price difference and have a good reliable gun.
    Well, I have a 3" round butt M65, so I don't really need another short-barrel .357. The appeal is 9mm, if it doesn't work, then the appeal is gone.
    I agree. I've a 3" M65 and a 3" M60. A 9mm would be nice, but not at the prices 547s are commanding.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I agree. I've a 3" M65 and a 3" M60. A 9mm would be nice, but not at the prices 547s are commanding.
    Yes, I have the M65 and a 3" Colt Detective Special. So, I have 3" carry guns solved for the most part.

At the prices 547s are commanding, with the accuracy issues in the 986/929 guns I've become more interested in a Korth Skyhawk. A friend got one recently and the price wasn't great, but wasn't bad either at ~1500. And it doesn't have accuracy issues (or moonclips for that matter). It only holds 6 vs. 7, but whatever, it's a snub-nosed 9mm revolver, so it scratches my itch. So, frankly, I'm just going to have my dealer call Nighthawk and procure one for me.

Did you have any accuracy issues?

I'm really wanting one of the 2.5" PC986s for CC and potentially as my gateway drug back into revolvers. I dropped my revolvers partly because I don't currently reload (nor have time/space to set anything up) and I finally shot through nearly all of my previously hoarded .38 stash. With the budget and 9mm being as cheap is it is pushed me back to bottom feeders.

But if there are accuracy issues that are only going to be resolved by loading, it's going to defeat the purpose of a 9mm revolver capable of shooting factory ammo for me.
    With a 627 shooting .38 Shorts? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    With a 627 shooting .38 Shorts? Nope.
    Actually, I meant the 929.

Yes, I have the M65 and a 3" Colt Detective Special. So, I have 3" carry guns solved for the most part.

At the prices 547s are commanding, with the accuracy issues in the 986/929 guns I've become more interested in a Korth Skyhawk. A friend got one recently and the price wasn't great, but wasn't bad either at ~1500. And it doesn't have accuracy issues (or moonclips for that matter). It only holds 6 vs. 7, but whatever, it's a snub-nosed 9mm revolver, so it scratches my itch. So, frankly, I'm just going to have my dealer call Nighthawk and procure one for me.
    Now there's a review I'd like to read, those Skyhawks are interesting looking for sure.

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

I'm in the same boat. Logistically I'm simplifying my life to shoot 9x19 almost exclusively. I got a Dillon 1050 to pump out vast quantities of high quality 9mm ammo for cheap. I built a 9mm PCC AR, I'm looking to sell my .45 ACP 1911 for a 9mm model and I'd like a 9mm revolver as well. The S&W 547s I've seen for sale are going for around $1300 so a $1500 Korth, if it's reliable, kind of makes sense if you only want to stock 9mm. I was actually trying to get the local Nighthawk dealer to order me one six months ago to no avail. Unfortunately as far as I know they Skyhawks are still basically vaporwear at this point. One hopes they're simply testing the hell out of them to make sure they're 100% before release. Interestingly Korth had a 9x19 conversion cylinder that would fit smith K frames. Could be worth looking into if they ever release it especially considering some of the coated bullet makers (I think Eggleston is one) makes 9mm bullets up to .358".

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Logistically I'm simplifying my life to shoot 9x19 almost exclusively. I got a Dillon 1050 to pump out vast quantities of high quality 9mm ammo for cheap. I built a 9mm PCC AR, I'm looking to sell my .45 ACP 1911 for a 9mm model and I'd like a 9mm revolver as well. The S&W 547s I've seen for sale are going for around $1300 so a $1500 Korth, if it's reliable, kind of makes sense if you only want to stock 9mm. I was actually trying to get the local Nighthawk dealer to order me one six months ago to no avail. Unfortunately as far as I know they Skyhawks are still basically vaporwear at this point. One hopes they're simply testing the hell out of them to make sure they're 100% before release. Interestingly Korth had a 9x19 conversion cylinder that would fit smith K frames. Could be worth looking into if they ever release it especially considering some of the coated bullet makers (I think Eggleston is one) makes 9mm bullets up to .358".
    If you reload, the guys over on Enos' Forum are saying, .357-.358" bullets will give sub-2" accuracy out of the 986/929s.

I just don't reload currently, nor have the space/time to set anything up. So, I want to run off-the-shelf stuff and I cannot abide guns that appear, mechanically, incapable of achieving ~2" groups @ 25 with quality factory ammo, that's unacceptable, for a Performance Center gun. Heck I don't find it acceptable for most guns...

User Tag List