Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith 929 Out of the Box to Match REVIEW

Smith 929 Out of the Box to Match REVIEW

Hmm, I like shooting it. I am not happy with the lackluster accuracy.
    The rest of the story.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

I'd be interested to know the diameter of the forcing cone and crown. It seems some 929s are reported to have a forcing cone restriction. It also looks, as you are stating, that most guns are running a .357" diameter barrel.

Did you try any 147s? Since this gun was meant to make minor-caliber only it might be that slower 147s are the way to go?

This is really disappointing. I was getting ready to snag a PC-986 with the 2.5" barrel, but if I have to break out the micrometers to check the gun to get an accurate one, I'm going to pass.

I see they're sticking with that awful heavy profile barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I see they're sticking with that awful heavy profile barrel.
    Right? This has to be one of the ugliest Smiths in production right now.

I would really like to see one of these with a proper .355 barrel about 4-5" tapered.

I guess, until Smith solves this problem, I'm back to looking for a 547...or saving up for a Korth.

I think it looks cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Right? This has to be one of the ugliest Smiths in production right now.

I would really like to see one of these with a proper .355 barrel about 4-5" tapered.

I guess, until Smith solves this problem, I'm back to looking for a 547...or saving up for a Korth.
    I don't even care how the barrel looks, the problem is that it makes an already huge gun too front heavy, when when you're trying to drive it in rapid transitions on a USPSA stage is problematic. After I shot this pig in a couple of matches I sold it and went back to a 627 Pro Series for USPSA. GIMME DEM SHORT COLTS

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing that.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I don't even care how the barrel looks, the problem is that it makes an already huge gun too front heavy, when when you're trying to drive it in rapid transitions on a USPSA stage is problematic. After I shot this pig in a couple of matches I sold it and went back to a 627 Pro Series for USPSA. GIMME DEM SHORT COLTS
    Did you have any accuracy issues?

I'm really wanting one of the 2.5" PC986s for CC and potentially as my gateway drug back into revolvers. I dropped my revolvers partly because I don't currently reload (nor have time/space to set anything up) and I finally shot through nearly all of my previously hoarded .38 stash. With the budget and 9mm being as cheap is it is pushed me back to bottom feeders.

But if there are accuracy issues that are only going to be resolved by loading, it's going to defeat the purpose of a 9mm revolver capable of shooting factory ammo for me.

Never should have put it on paper.
    Oh...thanks for this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDP8BRSEjrA ).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Did you have any accuracy issues?

I'm really wanting one of the 2.5" PC986s for CC and potentially as my gateway drug back into revolvers. I dropped my revolvers partly because I don't currently reload (nor have time/space to set anything up) and I finally shot through nearly all of my previously hoarded .38 stash.
    Based on my experience, I would really avoid the 986 and Smith 9mm in general. Mine (full size with 5 inch barrel) is back at Smith for the second time. First was a broken sear spring and cylinder replacement. Now it's a broken hammer spur at only 2800 rounds. According to Smith the hammer spur is a "normal wear item" not covered by warranty and they're charging me almost $300 to fix the gun. They've had it since the end of March and I still don't know when I'm getting it back.

If I were getting a revolver with a short barrel, I'd look at the new Model 66 with the 2.75 inch barrel. The gun has very good word of mouth and is about half the price of the PC986. You could buy a lot of 38s for the price difference and have a good reliable gun.

User Tag List