Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stress fracture?

Site Supporter

Stress fracture?

Okay have any of you had a stress fracture in your foot? What did it feel like, what if anything did you do to treat it, and how long did it take to heal?

God getting old sucks.

I had one about three years ago.

Was out for my walk and all of a sudden had terrible pain in my right foot. Down the outside edge and bottom of my foot.

I had to call my wife to come get me. I couldn't walk.

Went to my ortho doc next day and he diagnosed a stress fracture and put me in a boot.

I think for six weeks. It is ok now.
    Last edited by Leroy Suggs; 09-20-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Okay have any of you had a stress fracture in your foot? What did it feel like, what if anything did you do to treat it, and how long did it take to heal?

God getting old sucks.
    I've had 9 stress fractures, 6 of which were in my feet, plus one random fracture in my right foot of unknown origin.

Rest, ice, elevation. I got 7 in one fell swoop in the Marines and they had me on a very aggressive physical therapy program that didn't allow enough rest, so they remained present and painful for 18 months. In the process of forcing me to run sooner than I should have, I got two more.

I had a similar experience when I broke my foot 2 1/2 months ago and tried going for a walk too early in the healing phase. Fortunately I was in charge of my own recovery, and lacking the mental retardation and advanced medical degrees of Navy doctors I decided to give it more rest instead of making it worse under the auspices of "its going to hurt but you have to run to make it heal."

So, that's my advice. Give that painful son of a bitch all the rest it needs. If it hurts, stop doing whatever it is you're doing and give it more rest. Making it hurt is only going to make it take longer to heal. It's very simple in reality, don't overcomplicate it with ridiculous recovery plans from physical therapists and athletic trainers.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I *think* I had one, never went to the doctor bc there's not much they can do anyway. Sharp, pin- pointed pain on 2nd metatarsal approx 1/3 way down from toe joint. Occurred during a rocky trail run on 7/10. Continued to run through the pain for 3 weeks (including one 15 mile race) then laid off for 3-4 weeks. Pain was reduced to tolerable so training resumed.

Now, 4 weeks later, I'm good, Praise the Lord.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the responses. I am becoming more convinced I do have a stress fracture, probably from running on the treadmill. Lots of pain and a burning sensation in my instep, putting weight on it hurts a lot. So working out and karate are out of the picture for a while.

Any opinions on whether a walking cane would be helpful?

Site Supporter
    See a podiatrist , get a weight bearing X-ray and then stay off it and let it heal

Site Supporter
    May be going to the doc today or tomorrow. There's no way I can completely stay off it, which is why I am asking about the walking cane?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I am becoming more convinced I do have a stress fracture, probably from running on the treadmill. Lots of pain and a burning sensation in my instep, putting weight on it hurts a lot. So working out and karate are out of the picture for a while.

Any opinions on whether a walking cane would be helpful?
    Could be a stress fracture, could be a lot of other things. See a podiatrist.

It could be plantar fasciitis. I had that too and was worse than the fracture.
    I would go to an orthopedic doctor or podiatric doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    It could be plantar fasciitis. I had that too and was worse than the fracture.
    I would go to an orthopedic doctor or podiatric doctor.
    Concur. If given the choice I'd take the stress fracture. 6-8 weeks and I was good to go. Plantar fasciitis bothered me for probably 18 months.

User Tag List