Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make my handgun grip grippier

Make my handgun grip grippier

So, I have soft IT hands, so when it gets warm, it can be tricky to hold on to the gun, specifically with my support hand. Not so much my strong hand. I've tried the sandpaper Talon grips, which work great, but they're much too abrasive to carry around all day. I know most are going to tell me to look into stippling, but I'm not sure I'm down for committing to that just yet and I don't really have the budget for it right now. So I'm looking for some alternatives that would work for carry and also be functional.

How are the rubber Talon grips? Are they grippy enough. I had an issue with the granulate Talons creeping up on my mag release on my G19GEN4. Was that my fault for installing them wrong or is that a common problem?

How is the bicycle inner tube trick? Does it stay in place?

Any other options that might work well?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I think the rubber Talons are friggin awesome.

Edit: haven't actually tried a bicycle tire inner tube (where does one even get those... [emoji14] ) but my Hogue grip sleeves do move about a bit. Doesn't stop me from using them, I just have to push it back into place occasionally, but they don't stay put as well as one might hope.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    Last edited by That Guy; 09-27-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Rubber Talon grips might be a nice middle ground but I'd look into selective grip tape as well. For me the front strap is sometimes all I need, the M&P 1.0 and G43 are prime examples.

Inner tubes never cut it for me, if my hands get sweaty enough they're slick as hell.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

For a carry gun, Talon grips can work well, but as you found, they can creep. Install after cleaning with alcohol and use a hair drier to heat the tape up and press hard. Another option is to stipple the smooth areas on the Glock where it's slippery. The OEM grip pattern is pretty good, but does not extend high enough.

Grip strength exercises are probably even better but go slow and don't hurt yourself.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I use the rubber adhesive on my SSP Glock, I've seen 3 packs for $15, Talon must be making a killing. Robar's texturing cost $85 FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I use the rubber adhesive on my SSP Glock, I've seen 3 packs for $15, Talon must be making a killing. Robar's texturing cost $85 FYI.
    What sort of rubber adhesives are you referring to?

Sorry, I meant the 3M stair tape ones like Talon. I used a company other than Talon 'cause $18 for a few square inches of die cut stair tape seemed ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So, I have soft IT hands, so when it gets warm, it can be tricky to hold on to the gun, specifically with my support hand. Not so much my strong hand. I've tried the sandpaper Talon grips, which work great, but they're much too abrasive to carry around all day. I know most are going to tell me to look into stippling, but I'm not sure I'm down for committing to that just yet and I don't really have the budget for it right now. So I'm looking for some alternatives that would work for carry and also be functional.

How are the rubber Talon grips? Are they grippy enough. I had an issue with the granulate Talons creeping up on my mag release on my G19GEN4. Was that my fault for installing them wrong or is that a common problem?

How is the bicycle inner tube trick? Does it stay in place?

Any other options that might work well?

Bicycle tube works very well for dry hands but not so much for wet/oily hands. As it's uniform in shape, any slippage along the frame often doesn't matter but you can let a little soapy water dry underneath it for adhesion.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Sorry, I meant the 3M stair tape ones like Talon. I used a company other than Talon 'cause $18 for a few square inches of die cut stair tape seemed ridiculous.
    For most of their products (i.e. Glock) I agree. However, the Talon grips for my Shield look almost like they came that way from the factory. The rubberized texture is awesome and dramatically improved my grip on the tiny little Shield. Huge, huge improvement.

I have used just about everything. I've finally worked up the nerve to stipple my guns and now everything has met the soldering iron. I've never tried the rubber Talons so I can't comment on that. The Houge grip sleeves work alright if you don't mind the added grip circumference. I've never used inner tube on a gun but I have used it on knives and my Cold Steel shovel and it works pretty good for that. Have fun getting it on though. I'd say save yourself a lot of time and cut several rings from the inner tube and put them on separately instead of trying to get one longer tube on at once. That is a bitch.

Go to a department store and get either a cheap soldering iron or woodburner from the craft section. They look the same to me so I have no idea if there's even a difference but the woodburner usually comes with different tips. Grab whatever plastic you have and practice on it a bunch. If you fuck it up horribly you can pick up a stripped Glock frame for not a ton of cash. I haven't priced gen 4's but the 3's are $50-80 stripped so I would think a gen 4 would be closer to $100. You'd have to fuck it up pretty badly to get to that point though.

User Tag List