Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Glock 46?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Odd that they would build a gun with a different operating system for such a small contract. I'd be interested in trying one to see how much of a difference a rotating barrel makes compared to a Browning action.
    Small contract? Google says the Bavarian State Police have 33,500 armed officers. That’s substantially larger than any American LE contract outside of CBP’s or if NYPD decided to standardize on a single handgun.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Small contract? Google says the Bavarian State Police have 33,500 armed officers. That’s substantially larger than any American LE contract outside of CBP’s or if NYPD decided to standardize on a single handgun.
    Ah, I was under the impression this was for 8000 pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Well if the 46 has made it to South Africa it looks like Glock is starting to market it internationally. It would stand to reason that they will market it to their largest market eventually as well. Is it coming the 10th? Can’t say but it looks like it will happened at one point.

Also did I ever think Glock redesigned their operating system for a single 8,000 pistol contract when they they won’t even make different color frames without a similar commitment? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Ah, I was under the impression this was for 8000 pistols.
    I was going off the OP which said the gun was entered in the Bavarian State Police contract trials. A contract for 8,000 pistols is not small either but it’s definitely a different league than over 30k. Only a handful of US LE agencies have over 8,000 armed personnel. Off the top of my head I can think of CBP, ICE, and the FBI on the federal side and NYPD, Chicago PD, LAPD, and LASD on the state/county/local side.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I was going off the OP which said the gun was entered in the Bavarian State Police contract trials. A contract for 8,000 pistols is not small either but it’s definitely a different league than over 30k. Only a handful of US LE agencies have over 8,000 armed personnel. Off the top of my head I can think of CBP, ICE, and the FBI on the federal side and NYPD, Chicago PD, LAPD, and LASD on the state/county/local side.
    Yeah, but this design is so different from their other offerings. Every other Glock is essentially the same gun just different size or caliber. It's surprising if they made such a model for 8000 pistols and to not sell them anywhere else.

I don't know who mentioned the Bavaria State Police, maybe someone up thread. But that is incorrect. The Glock 46 TR won the tender to arm the Sachsen-Anhalt police force, which is significantly smaller than its Bavarian counterpart. A contract for approx 6400 units was awarded.

Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    I don't know who mentioned the Bavaria State Police, maybe someone up thread. But that is incorrect. The Glock 46 TR won the tender to arm the Sachsen-Anhalt police force, which is significantly smaller than its Bavarian counterpart. A contract for approx 6400 units was awarded.
    The post that started this thread by @Luger mentioned the G46 was entered in the Bavaria State Police trials. From that post it read to me that he’s an officer with that agency. I don’t know anything about who may have won that contract but if you were handing out a contract for over 33k pistols, Glock would probably make anything you asked for within reason.

Site Supporter
    On the commercial side, Glocks has done special editions for distributors with as few as 5,000.

Another potential aspect is that while gun companies exist to make money not guns there are products that are introduced simply due to “grudges.” Industry drama is a thing.

This can range from things like requirements that exclude one’s normal products (like a contract requirement that prohibits pulling the trigger to disassemble the pistol), actual or perceived theft of intellectual property, actual or perceived bad faith in prior collaborative efforts, etc.

The post that started this thread by @Luger mentioned the G46 was entered in the Bavaria State Police trials. From that post it read to me that he’s an officer with that agency.
    I am. And the Glock 46 was tested. Yet the H&K SFP9 TR (a Variant of the VP9) won the contract.
    There is no Glock46 in service with the Bavarian State Police. Glocks (17,19,26) are only issued to our Special Forces.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

User Tag List