Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a real Centurion?

Site Supporter

Is this a real Centurion?

This pistol is being sold as a 92D Centurion, but it has a barrel that extends beyond the end of the slide. Can someone tell whether it is truly a Centurion, a Centurion with a replacement barrel, or a full size 92D?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/696354932

Site Supporter
    Looks like a regular 92D to me.

Me too.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    The more I look at it, me too. Thanks guys.

I saw that one too and I'm pretty sure it's not a centurion which is why I didn't bid on it.

No. The slide will say "Centurion" on the right side.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the feedback. I hate crap like that.

It's a 92D Police Special; definitely NOT a Centurion. And one in need of a bit of TLC, it would appear.

The barrel and overall length dimensions in the description are for a Centurion/Compact, but they're incorrect for this specific gun, which actually has a barrel length of 4.9" and an overall length of 8.5"

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-19-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Yeah you guys have pretty much confirmed my suspicions. The 92D is a cool gun in its own right, but I really like the idea of the Centurion. It's sort of like the Commander of the Beretta 92 line. And I like me some 9mm Commanders, so...

Centurions are indeed nice Berettas, but after owning one I'm not really convinced that other than aesthetics (which can be a viable criteria, in all fairness) that the Centurion really offered much of significance, or quantifiable improvement(s) over a 92. Granted, you might have a micro-second's difference in draw speed due to the .65" difference in slide/barrel length, but I didn't find the balance to be significantly different between the two, and I've not found the 92 to be particularly difficult to carry, even in an IWB holster.

However, YMMV. And if you find a decent 92 Centurion, I'd jump on it if it meets your essential search criteria, as opposed to waiting for a "perfect" analog 92. In the D models, the 92Ds were produced from 92-98, and the 92D Centurions had a bit more abbreviated production timeframe, from 94-98. And while I don't know the actual production figures, I suspect that other than some significant LEO contract orders that Beretta did not exactly produce a metric boatload of either.

And, to clarify, I'm certainly not opposed to or recommending against the Centurions. They're intrinsically every bit as good as their standard-sized brethren.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-19-2017 at 01:06 PM.

User Tag List