Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&P 9mm Accuracy Problem

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I have seen pics of more than one broken M&P barrel.
    The earlier barrels had a groove around the transition between the cylindrical barrel and the hood. Exactly like what you would do on purpose to create a stress riser which would lead to a failure...... Oopsies......

Given the barrel geometry allowing early unlocking on the 9's, the spring force in battery becomes more critical.

This seems to be a common problem w/M&P9F's. Most likely a lock up issue. Many have abandoned the platform in that caliber over this. You could send it in, but that usually doesn't seem to work w/this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4me View Post
    This seems to be a common problem w/M&P9F's. Most likely a lock up issue. Many have abandoned the platform in that caliber over this. You could send it in, but that usually doesn't seem to work w/this problem.

But he had acceptable accuracy previously, I think a fresh recoil spring would have brought it back to what it was.
    If a particular gun does have the early unlocking problem, a wore out recoil spring will amplify the problem.

Maybe excessive early wear?

I just ran into this with my M&P 9mm FS last month after failing hard at DOTW 11 bullseye three way with my M&P that I've been using exclusively for awhile now. It used to group great at 25yds in the past but not anymore. I tried the drill again with Winchester 124 NATO, HST, and my reloads that mimic Winchester Nato all with about the same result.

I think in my case it's the wear on the front of the barrel hood which appears to of lost some metal and it's edge. Here it is compared against my M&P compact back up with less rounds and the newer barrel design. I've been changing the recoil spring and trigger spring at 5k intervals.

I have to switch out my sights to stock and remove my APEX FSS before I send the gun back to S&W which I've called but didn't get a return label yet. I pushed it out due to holidays, work and family stuff. Anyone going to SHOT mind cornering someone from S&W about this 9mm accuracy deal and ask if they are planning on fixing it anytime soon?

I doubt you will be able to talk to anyone that has any pull or will do anything. Your complaints will be forgotten shortly.

If my gun with the new slide comes back and is inaccurate I do plan on raising hell. They know the solution.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

If replacing the recoil spring with a new one fixes it, that proves that there is a larger issue that is being covered with the increased tension of the fresh recoil spring and that ultimately it's unlocking wrong.

I received the pistols back from S&W today. They put a new barrel in the full size gun. The Pro Series gun they sent a test target with a 5 shot group fired a 10 yards. It shot about a 2"'group at that distance. Letter with it says the gun meets factory specs and does not need service. I guess it is only intended to be used at close range as when I benched it at 25 yards the best 10 shot group I had was 6" while a stock Glock 17 with the same ammo at 25 yards was shooting groups the size of the 10 yard group they sent.

I will get to the range later this week and bench the full size again and report back. I have contact info for the regional sales manager for S&W for my area and he also teaches armorer classes for them. I will let him know about the Pro Series gun and see what he suggests. I would hate to have to wait for Apex to release their barrel and spend the money on that just to make it shoot as good as a standard Glock. On the other hand, I only paid $200 for the Pro Series, so I could have Apex make it shoot the way it is supposed too and still only be into it for about what a Pro Series gun retails for.

We need to scream bloody murder, and get S&W to get us 9's that shoot. Who is the top management at S&W?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    The Pro Series gun they sent a test target with a 5 shot group fired a 10 yards. It shot about a 2"'group at that distance. Letter with it says the gun meets factory specs and does not need service. I guess it is only intended to be used at close range as when I benched it at 25 yards the best 10 shot group I had was 6" while a stock Glock 17 with the same ammo at 25 yards was shooting groups the size of the 10 yard group they sent.

I will get to the range later this week and bench the full size again and report back. I have contact info for the regional sales manager for S&W for my area and he also teaches armorer classes for them. I will let him know about the Pro Series gun and see what he suggests. I would hate to have to wait for Apex to release their barrel and spend the money on that just to make it shoot as good as a standard Glock. On the other hand, I only paid $200 for the Pro Series, so I could have Apex make it shoot the way it is supposed too and still only be into it for about what a Pro Series gun retails for.
    Unload the thing at the next gunshow; test target with. Hey, it "meets factory specs".

Holy smokes I get tired of incessant internet laurels for S&W Customer Service being 2nd to none. But it is consistent. You can go back years on Brian Enos' site and read of folks getting no help for accuracy with these guns.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List