Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P 9mm Accuracy Problem

M&P 9mm Accuracy Problem

I have an M&P 9mm full size that I bought in May and has almost 6,000 rounds through it. Stock except for Apex DCEAK installed in October. Just recently experienced a severe loss of accuracy with the pistol. It was never as accurate as I would have liked, but was accurate enough. It also always shot better with 147 grain bullets. I noticed over about the last two weeks my scores on some drills getting worse. Then a shot an informal match last week that included a stage with steel plates out to 20 yards. I could not hit the plates! After the match I borrowed a pistol from another guy (Springfield XD) and hit the 20 yard plates every time. So I went to the range Wednesday night with a box of American Eagle 115 grain and shot from a sandbag rest at 25 yards. 10 shots fired and only 4 holes in the target (8 ½ x 11 paper). I borrowed a range Glock 17 and shot about a 3-4” group with the same ammo. Then I got out my carry ammo (Winchester Ranger-T 147 grain) and tried it. 2” group with the Glock, 7 hits scattered around the paper with the M&P. All the holes are round, no keyholing but no discernible grouping. As near as I can tell the pattern is centered, not noticeably high so I don’t think it the early unlocking problem some have had.

I took the gun apart at home and cannot find any obvious cause, no unusual wear or damage. Called Smith & Wesson yesterday and they are sending a shipping label to return the gun. Any of you guys have a guess as to the cause or seen something like this before? The fact that it was shooting fine and the accuracy suddenly went away seems to indicate something broke or suddenly wore out but the barrel, slide, and locking block look fine. I will update when I get the gun back from S&W and find out what they say, but I wanted to put the info out there and see if anyone else has had this happen.

Crown or wear exacerbated lockup problems would be my guess.
    #RESIST

Have you replaced the recoil spring yet? I've seen a similar post from another guy of how it degraded at about that round count, he replaced the recoil spring and the accuracy came back.

Barrel crown is fine, still on original recoil spring. I read elsewhere of a couple cases of accuracy loss that were fixed with a new recoil spring, but the ones I heard about started unlocking early and shooting high. My guess is unusual wear causing lockup problems.

Replace the recoil spring and check. If the gun is still not working adequately, contact S&W and demand a satisfactory repair.

I don't have a spare recoil spring handy for it, but will see if I can come up with one. S&W already has a return shipping label on the way to me. Their customer service is usually pretty good in my experience, I just wish it wasn't as necessary.

Check the barrel. I've actually seen two M&Ps that developed cracks just forward of the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Check the barrel. I've actually seen two M&Ps that developed cracks just forward of the hood.
    Do you have photos, or more information to share? I've never heard of this, and I'm quite curious.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Do you have photos, or more information to share? I've never heard of this, and I'm quite curious.
    No I don't. However, I saw both with a group we shoot on Sundays with. One was owned by a gentleman who I don't know really well so I couldn't vouch as to the variables, but the other one belonged to a dude who is totally squared away and had more than likely had a significant number of rounds through the gun. Both had catastrophic cracks at the end of the barrel hood.

I have seen pics of more than one broken M&P barrel.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List