Class review on the UNTHINKABLE seminar conducted by Dr. William Aprill of Aprill Risk Consulting, 09/08/2017
at Saddle River Range in Conroe, TX.

I found “UNTHINKABLE” an invaluable insight into violent criminals, their victim selection process and what we
can do in response. I would have been a fool to miss the opportunity to attend this seminar.

William Aprill combined his significant empirical experience with practical psychology and neuroscience
to provide a fast-paced, potent education I wish my whole family was there to hear.
He used PowerPoint
slides, lecture and judicious selection of real-life examples. Our class ended with a hands-on exposure to the
realities of firearm retention in public settings.

The seminar did not force a view point or "gun" sub-culture bias. Rather the material and presentation simply
forced thought in the mind of a rational person. This approach can be critical for some loved ones in their
development of awareness... or even coming to their own, organic self-responsibility epiphany.

An oversimplified snapshot of the seminar:
1) An education in the realities of our daily exposure to the Violent Criminal Actor (VCA)
The error of assuming VCAs have different mental processes. Defining the VCA + the realistic
limits of our accepted knowledge of VCAs. The personal cost of Interpersonal Violence. The reality that
VCA targeting is always happening - both outside and inside our so-called secure areas.
2) Reducing noise on the subject of VCAs
Definitions of violence, statistics of violence, glaring gaps in statistics and their application. The
difference between violent crime by the willful vs. the mentally ill. Examination of some classic and modern
crime theories. Examination of the common stumbling blocks we create for ourselves.
3) An effective education on the human mental processes related to dealing with VCAs
- The workings and trustworthiness of our brain’s limbic/survival processes
- Removing the mental stumbling blocks to our “built-in threat detection and behavioral prediction system”
- How criminals supercharge their own mental processes
- How a person may comparatively optimize their own mental processes/counter-assault system

Come prepared to take good notes. Aprill gives a number of recommended readings but there’s a lot of
specific terminology that is very helpful in your own post-class digestion of the material. Throughout the
presentation Aprill touches on multiple aspects of building your own response/counter-assault system.
Write the info down so you get a more complete picture! A written outline was not provided and I have about
15 pages of handwritten notes.

--

Aprill's UNTHINKABLE seminar was held at the Saddle River Range in Conroe, TX, just north of Houston.
SRR is an indoor facility featuring firearm/archery ranges and retail space with gunsmith, training simulator and
cafe facilities. Staff were very accommodating.

While the 4 bay x 6 lane (24 lanes total) shooting range may not be conducive to large, open enrollment firearm
classes the 1st and 2nd floor training rooms (with elevator access) are perfectly suited to other relevant training.

William Aprill was the first trainer of his caliber to be hosted by the Range. The Saddle River calendar shows
2018 scheduling of Craig Douglas and Cecil Burch. I look forward to returning to Saddle River Range.