Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toddlers and Carrying

Toddlers and Carrying

So, all of my internet searches on this turned up anti-gun websites... so I figured I'd ask where people actually know something.

I'm just starting to carry full time (had the conversation with my wife about it last night), and she is ok with the idea, but we have a child coming in a couple months, and she said that she may stop being ok with it when we have a 2-year-old running around the house.

I know that I'm going to need to make sure all guns are stored in a safe when they're not on me, and to teach the kid about safe gun handling as soon as possible (even when that safe handling is just "don't").. but how do you deal with grabby kids and your everyday carry piece? I know I've seen plenty of kids trying to use their dad as a jungle gym, and grabbing onto whatever they can...

Is something like a retention holster a good idea for around young children (do they make those that are still concealable?). Or is this unnecessary worry if you're carrying IWB and under your shirt anyway? What are your experiences and how did you handle this problem?

I'd like to have something for the discussion with my wife other than "I think it'll be ok." Currently I told her that they do make retention holsters and that if that is what it takes for her to not worry, I'll get one. The ones I've seen would significantly limit where I can carry concealed, though.

I may be the outlaw here but I am strictly against toddlers carrying guns.

I have an 18 month old. The weapon is either on me or in the safe. It's concealed at all times except when changing/whatnot. It's in a good holster (Shaggy) that retains well enough that I do not worry about the weapon being taken out of the holster when concealed by my daughter.

Education will start when she can grasp what I am telling her.

I usually disarm once I'm home for the day. Of course, I have a Belgian Malinois on watch
    #RESIST

Take ECQC so that you can defend against a gun grab from a two year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Take ECQC so that you can defend against a gun grab from a two year old.
    ECQC is actually on my list of "hope to attend" for '12.
    #RESIST

Griffin's 14 months old and made of awesome and fingers.

I am right handed and carry strong side IWB. I can easily keep Griff from bumping or jacking with the gun, and my potential draw is unimpeded. Start working on SHO.... now.

If he did get it out, it's a 1911. The grip safety and the thumb safety would give me about one and a half seconds to get it back from him -- a significant grace period compared to say a Glock, which he could discharge with his right foot by kicking the gun up in the holster and then toe into the triggerguard.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    Griffin's 14 months old and made of awesome and fingers.

I am right handed and carry strong side IWB. I can easily keep Griff from bumping or jacking with the gun, and my potential draw is unimpeded. Start working on SHO.... now.

If he did get it out, it's a 1911. The grip safety and the thumb safety would give me about one and a half seconds to get it back from him -- a significant grace period compared to say a Glock, which he could discharge with his right foot by kicking the gun up in the holster and then toe into the triggerguard.
    Wait, you're saying your kid could kick the gun out of the holster and then fire it by means of a toe in the trigger guard?
    #RESIST

I have a toddler and so far it's a non issue - concealed in a good holster or locked up.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I'm just starting to carry full time (had the conversation with my wife about it last night), and she is ok with the idea, but we have a child coming in a couple months, and she said that she may stop being ok with it when we have a 2-year-old running around the house.
    If the pistol is in a holster on your body it's pretty difficult for a small or medium child to be able to get hold of it and do any damage unless you actually hand the kid the pistol. Obviously I wouldn't recommend that, but I doubt you had such a daft plan in mind in the first place.

Moms can be rather sensitive and irrational about these sorts of things at times, especially if they weren't exactly comfortable with you having/carrying a gun to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Wait, you're saying your kid could kick the gun out of the holster and then fire it by means of a toe in the trigger guard?
    I was joking, soz. I think the odds of that happening are pretty remote. The reasons I carry 1911s do not include their enhanced toddler safety features.

User Tag List