Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Benelli M2 Stock Length (LOP)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Thanks. Just trying to visualize it. So there are two countersunk holes (in the pic example) in the recoil pad itself for bolts and that keeps the recoil from driving them into your shoulder? I've never seen that before.
    That's actually very normal: the pair of screws go through holes in the rubber part of the recoil pad. The flat, stiff base of it that mates to the stock has matching holes and the screws continue through those, and into the holes drilled into the stock. The screws pull the pad on tight and hold it in place. You never should feel them, or notice that they are there in use.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7bL2vH44fg

Watch him take the factory stock off in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That's actually very normal: the pair of screws go through holes in the rubber part of the recoil pad. The flat, stiff base of it that mates to the stock has matching holes and the screws continue through those, and into the holes drilled into the stock. The screws pull the pad on tight and hold it in place. You never should feel them, or notice that they are there in use.
    Thanks, that sounds good. None of my pads are like that. http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...pads/index.htm I see what you're talking about on Brownell's. Mine are the Pachmayr Decelerator pads, also shown on the page.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 09-21-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Site Supporter
    Thanks, that sounds good. None of my pads are like that. http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...pads/index.htm I see what you're talking about on Brownell's. Mine are the Pachmayr Decelerator pads, also shown on the page.
    Chances are, your Decelerators are held on with two screws. The reason you can't see any indication of the screws is referenced in #7 and #11 of the below link. If you use a new razor blade and petroleum jelly on a thin screwdriver, the spots where the screws were installed are invisible.

https://media.midwayusa.com/productd...structions.pdf

How does that work? Diagrams? Pics?
    I linked to the whole cutting and fabrication process (of that exact stock actually) in post #22. Here it is again...

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-g...istiansen.html

Yup, good stuff. Not knowing this is my penalty for changing pistols reasonably often but keeping one shotgun for 30 years and one rifle for 20. (Actually, I bought other rifles, but either they didn't need recoil pads or they came with them. Also, they didn't stick around.)

What about an M4 with the adjustable stock? Is there a reason the M2 is preferable?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Deleted...

Posted in wrong discussion...
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 09-22-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    What about an M4 with the adjustable stock? Is there a reason the M2 is preferable?
    From the large amount of reading I just did on the subject, I would say weight and cost are the two reasons most often given for choosing the M2 > M4.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    From the large amount of reading I just did on the subject, I would say weight and cost are the two reasons most often given for choosing the M2 > M4.
    It is also pure performance. The M4 shines in a Marines/LE environment where the shotgun is treated roughly and heavy things are hung in it. The M2 shoots better, which is why you see scads of M2 shotguns in 3 Gun, and almost no M4 shotguns being used. Benny Hill, who knows a bit about shotguns, has discussed this in times past.

I have two 14 inch M2 and one 14 inch M4 shotguns, and I far prefer the M2, both for weight and shooting. The M2 is also easier to accessorize. While you would think the weight and gas system of the M4 would tame recoil, I really don't feel a difference between the M4 and M2 with Brenneke slugs. The reason being how well the Comfortech works.

Craig, I think you have made an intellectual decision on the M4 based on a concern about M2 function with what you think you want to hang in it. Whether that is an issue, as you would equip it, can only be determined by testing. Nobody is going to say that the M4 is a bad shotgun, because it is a fine shotgun. It is just the M2 is an even better shotgun for most applications.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List