Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flap Holsters for Field Use

For "Field Use", the only gear component resembling a flap that I personally have any interest in is the outboard pocket flap on my HPG Kit Bag. :^)
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I've used Safepackers since the 1990s; they're an excellent piece of kit, and wear well and are quite durable. I find myself using them primarily when biking (attached to a Packer Backer by Wilderness) or for off-body carry with a shoulder strap (yeah, the dreaded "man purse"). I've rarely carried them on a belt, although they're certainly configured for that.

Another flap holster I have is Bianchi's UM 84 and UM84R, the former for semi-autos and the latter for revolvers. My UM84 has been transferred semi-permanently to a Tactical Tailor shoulder holster rig, along with the Bianchi dual magazine pouch, with the flap component replaced with Bianchi's retention strap. The UM84R is used occcassionally for open field carry for my GP100 and Security Six, and, without it's flap, as an OWB holster for my GP100 in IDPA (it works well, is legal but it's bulky and there are better solutions).

Best, Jon

For a Glock, a possibility is the Safariland ALS with a hood -- the one designed for an optic. That is quite protective, while still reasonably fast.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I've used Safepackers since the 1990s; they're an excellent piece of kit, and wear well and are quite durable. I find myself using them primarily when biking (attached to a Packer Backer by Wilderness) or for off-body carry with a shoulder strap (yeah, the dreaded "man purse"). I've rarely carried them on a belt, although they're certainly configured for that.

Another flap holster I have is Bianchi's UM 84 and UM84R, the former for semi-autos and the latter for revolvers. My UM84 has been transferred semi-permanently to a Tactical Tailor shoulder holster rig, along with the Bianchi dual magazine pouch, with the flap component replaced with Bianchi's retention strap. The UM84R is used occcassionally for open field carry for my GP100 and Security Six, and, without it's flap, as an OWB holster for my GP100 in IDPA (it works well, is legal but it's bulky and there are better solutions).

Best, Jon
    Thanks Jon. That UM 84 looks like just the ticket if I were looking to open carry in the woods.

User Tag List