Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 State Friendly HD Long Gun for Travel

As a VERY happy customer of the M2 tactical with Comfortech stock and rifle sights, I'd strongly suggest going that route over the M4 anything - because it's an M4EvilScaryBlackShotgunOMGOMGOMG-RUN!

Seriously, if I had it to do all over again, I'd do EXACTLY what George suggested, and get the M2 Comfortech with a 21" VR. Realistically isn't going to be any harder to maneuver than a civilian legal 18" gun, and the vent rib would allow Aimpoints new RDS very nicely. Doesn't look "scary" - but still plenty easy to use for serious use. In the free world, you can run a LONG magazine tube (I'm partial to Nordic) with, IIRC 10-11 rounds in the tube. Going into occupied territory? Put the factory mag cap back on and learn to reload faster!

Otherwise, I'd look hardest at a lever gun of some sort - I'm partial to "Trapper" length pistol caliber versions. I mourn the days of the relatively affordable, easy to find Winchester 94 big loop trapper - had one in .45 Colt and .44 Magnum - and stupidly let them both go. The 30-30 is a better choice if you want to press it into hunting service, but is, IMHO, needlessly powerful (with lower capacity) for (Mobile)Home Defense.

I wouldn't bother with anything AR based or otherwise even vaguely military-derived, ESPECIALLY if you're planning on traveling into California.

Quote Originally Posted by Condition Write View Post
    Just out of curiosity, any thoughts on the M1 Carbine as an alternative to the pistol-caliber lever guns?
    M1 Carbine is an "assault weapon," banned by name, in NJ... so not 50 state legal.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    As a VERY happy customer of the M2 tactical with Comfortech stock and rifle sights, I'd strongly suggest going that route over the M4 anything - because it's an M4EvilScaryBlackShotgunOMGOMGOMG-RUN!

Seriously, if I had it to do all over again, I'd do EXACTLY what George suggested, and get the M2 Comfortech with a 21" VR. Realistically isn't going to be any harder to maneuver than a civilian legal 18" gun, and the vent rib would allow Aimpoints new RDS very nicely. Doesn't look "scary" - but still plenty easy to use for serious use. In the free world, you can run a LONG magazine tube (I'm partial to Nordic) with, IIRC 10-11 rounds in the tube. Going into occupied territory? Put the factory mag cap back on and learn to reload faster!

Otherwise, I'd look hardest at a lever gun of some sort - I'm partial to "Trapper" length pistol caliber versions. I mourn the days of the relatively affordable, easy to find Winchester 94 big loop trapper - had one in .45 Colt and .44 Magnum - and stupidly let them both go. The 30-30 is a better choice if you want to press it into hunting service, but is, IMHO, needlessly powerful (with lower capacity) for (Mobile)Home Defense.

I wouldn't bother with anything AR based or otherwise even vaguely military-derived, ESPECIALLY if you're planning on traveling into California.

Great info, thank you.

What accessories do you have on your M2, and have you had any reliability issues with it due to the extra weight? Given it's HD purpose, a white light is a must for me, and I'd like to put at least two spare shells on the side (Velcro and small 2 shot card). I'm not fond of the many reports I'm reading about issues M2's have when you put two or more accessories on them. While I'm not trying to be Rambo, I think a white light, and mag tube extension, and a few extra onboard shells is pretty standard for an HD shotgun.

The complexities of getting the right LOP stock and adding things like a white light on the M2 has me thinking I'd be better off with the 870.

My "50 State Friendly, In Case Of Bear" longarm is a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 with the XS sights and a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. I don't know if it'll do anything a 12 gauge with slugs won't, but I know with the right load, it will cut a wound channel completely through the largest bear and beyond.
    Name:  MarlinLTDIII.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  55.4 KB
    Name:  MarlinLTDIIIa.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  75.5 KB

Mine happens to be a Davidson LTDIII with an 18 inch octagonal barrel and full length magazine but Marlin is currently making an 1895 in 45-70 in the same configuration. It's short, handy and quick. It hold 8 artillery rounds and the Decelerator recoil pad is a must. I can tell you from personal experience it does not take up much space in the RV. Mine is a wonderful rifle and I love it. A lever action in 45 Colt holds more rounds and with the right ammo, will cut a deep wound channel, but the 45-70 is the champ
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-18-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you go with an 870 and rifle sights, consider something like the Williams Fire Sights peep sights. They go right on the factory mounting points and are much faster and easier to use for me than the notch-and-post. The Brenneke slugs, even in 20ga, are readily available and pretty affordable from Bud's.

I like the 1894 idea. If you believe Ballistics By the Inch, it should turn .38SPL standard pressure 125gr into a nice 9mm defensive round, as far as velocity. But with the lower pressure cartridge expanding into an 18 inch barrel, it should be relatively quiet. Holds 10 rounds vs a shottie, and reloads are smaller and lighter to carry. Can also go full-house .357s at 180gr, which should handle any defensive needs outside the northern Rockies. The only thing wrong with them is California people have figured out what a good fit they are for that state's ridiculousness and driven the price up. BTW, I believe it's the case under the new rules that even a tube mag is limited to 10 rounds. Not sure if the rimfire long gun exemption applies. Read everything you can find here before traveling there: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms

A local smith here is Ranger Point Precision. I've handled their shop demo Marlin 1894, and it's quite slick. They also have a medium-loop lever that I like better than the factory rectangle.

Also, be aware of city and county weirdnesses, like the San Francisco hollow point law. HST is called out by name, and any other ammo sold "for law enforcement use only." (Working from memory here, and this is not legal advice.) Could get weird if you have a case of Gold Dots that are identical to the 20-round plastic packs but cost 60% less because they came in a case with the wrong markings.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-19-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

^^^^ Great info, thank you. I had no idea about mag tube thing in CA, or the hollow points in SF (I'll look into it). Pure insanity.

More reasons why a simple 12ga looks to be the best bet. As a firearm enthusiast, I'd love to have one of each (12ga and PC lever), but it's unnecessary for my purposes.

I would love to take more than one long gun, in which case I'd get a shotgun and pistol caliber lever, but it's just not necessary. Thank you to all who made suggestions.

That said, for many reasons found in this thread and the other ongoing shotgun threads, I opted for a semi-auto shotgun. For my purposes, I chose the M4. I ordered the 11703 field stocked version today through friend, and got what seems to be a good deal on it. He had to email their Benelli rep, but it's in stock and will take a week or so.

I plan on getting a light mount, velcro shotgun cards, and an optic mount. One of the more popular light mounts seems to be the AVA Tactical Mod 1. IWS appears to make a mount as well. I have a plethora of SF lights in the safe (M300, X300, Fury, G2X, and a few E-series), but not sure which way I'll go. The light might dictate the mount, unless there's an overwhelming favorite mount. I have industrial 3M velcro already, so I'll pick up a pair of shot cards. Looks like Scalarworks makes a low-pro mount for both RMR and Micro Aimpoints. I have one of each optic, haven't decided which way to go yet.

If anyone has experience/suggestions on light mounts, lights, velcro shot cards, or RMR vs T-2 for this application, I would love to hear them.

Scalarworks T2 all the way.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I didn't see this mentioned so overlook this effort if someone else has made the point. Some states will forbid having a loaded long gun in a vehicle. Hastily loading a lever action rifle is not easy; unloading one by jacking rounds through the action is not terribly safe and may appear to be threatening behavior to others. My choice would be a double barrel 20 or 12 ga. The double is handy and easily loaded and unloaded and also has a conservative appearance.

You may find yourself walking in the woods with a shotgun or rifle and then receiving a ticket from a game warden for hunting without a license. I never said this made sense. 50 states with a few 1000 different game wardens and you're away from home. Who knows?

Although I stated my choice as a double barrel shotgun, my real choice would be carrying a handgun where I could legally do so and then keeping said handgun locked up in an approved container when in a state forbidding its carry. Unless I called each state's state police and verified what I could and could not have in my vehicle, I would be uncomfortable assuming that my double barrel was OK.

Site Supporter
    I purchased a model 12 this summer just for this purpose. I plan on having the barrel chopped, an XS big dot bead installed. Shorten the stock, add a recoil pad. New springs and call it good. Then find a bag to store it broken down

User Tag List