Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 State Friendly HD Long Gun for Travel

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I was literally counting on you to make that suggestion, because this was my first impulse. I'm quite fond of the M2 series Benelli's and their manual of operation. My M2 Field was 100% through a few thousand rounds (almost exclusively clay loads), and even digested a bunch of weak target loads, which made me happy. Can I assume the Tactical is just as reliable, staying with traditional defensive loadings (don't care about target loads)? I thought I read somewhere here that they could be a touch weight sensitive? Meaning, adding weight to the gun.
    Every M2 I have is reliable. I don't hang heavy side saddles on them, and I use high brass shot and full power slugs/buck. I use a simple carry sling, scout light and Velcro on the side to attach a shot shell card.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

PS, get the model with the Comfortech stock -- money well spent, and much cheaper than adding that stock later. If you don't like the look of the "Tactical," get a 21 inch M2 field and Aimpoint S1 for the rib.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    My current choice, if I had to pick right now (I have 6-9 months), would be a Wilson Scattergun BP model. I feel like the pump is the most versatile due to the wide variety of ammo. I'm also familiar with the breakdown and maintenance of an 870. That being said, the M2 Field I had was extremely easy to completely disassemble, I'd say easier than the 870. My other leading option is an M2 Tactical with Comfortech stock like my Field had (not a PG stock fan).
    I have an original Scattergun Technologies (pre-Wilson Combat acquisition) shotgun. It is everything I need in a shotgun.

However, for my purposes, I was not just concerned about capability and legality, but perception as well. I wanted a long gun that was less likely to raise concerns over its appearance. I considered a lever gun, but I am just about sold on the 870 with rifle sights and wood.
    C Class shooter.

And an advantage of the 870 is the ability to find a used 870 Police Magnum just as described. Wood furniture, rifled sights, and the ability to be cheaply and easily refurbished.

Food for thought.

I've read in a few places, although I can't say any of them are what I consider trusted sources, that the Wilson Combat Scattergun 870's are "just gussied up Express models". Any truth to this? Anyone have experience with one? I'm trying to decide between a M2 and WC SG 870. There are pros and cons to each for my purposes.

I've had their Border patrol model for maybe ten years and I have no idea how many rounds (of all sorts) I've shot through it; I still haven't cleaned it and it still works just as smoothly and reliably as when I first got it. I don't know all the details of what Wilson does to it but it works.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I've had their Border patrol model for maybe ten years and I have no idea how many rounds (of all sorts) I've shot through it; I still haven't cleaned it and it still works just as smoothly and reliably as when I first got it. I don't know all the details of what Wilson does to it but it works.
    Thanks for the info, WB. Exactly what I was looking for. While I do enjoy "the details", I'm mostly concerned with it working.

ETA: Another question for the masses... Aside from price, is there any reason not to buy a Benelli M4 over the M2? I see the M4 is about a pound heavier at 7.8 vs the M2's 6.7, but I won't be toting it around.

The 11703 model, to be exact...
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 7.53.46 PM.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  13.7 KB
    Last edited by StraitR; 09-18-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Just out of curiosity, any thoughts on the M1 Carbine as an alternative to the pistol-caliber lever guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Condition Write View Post
    Just out of curiosity, any thoughts on the M1 Carbine as an alternative to the pistol-caliber lever guns?
    There was a pretty interesting M1 Carbine discussion not too long ago. Had some good info about loads, magazines, which guns tended to work and not.

If I recall correctly, Dr Roberts had some interesting input on that very subject. You might search some of his previous posts.

I had pondered one, but decided against it based on the detachable magazine and (sometimes) bayonet lug.

User Tag List