Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 State Friendly HD Long Gun for Travel

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Beretta 1301 tactical, right out of the box (with possible exception of an aftermarket loading gate lever fix)? 18.5" with sights. What I don't know is if any states on the list would have issue with a semi-auto gauge; nothing surprises me any more. Just throwing it out there.

Personally, I'd look at any similar trip as an excuse to finally pony up for the 1301.
    X2!

I've had a 1301T for about a year now, and it would be my go-to long gun for travel.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 09-17-2017 at 03:23 PM.

I seem to recall hearing that Denver (city or county, not sure) has specific mag limits that don't apply to the rest of the state. Don't live or travel through CO, so I could be full of you-know-what.

Either shotgun or lever 44mag or 30-30 for me.
    Last edited by David S.; 09-17-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    David S.

I have been considering something similar and have decided on a 12 gauge 870 with rifle sights and wood furniture.
    C Class shooter.

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    I have been considering something similar and have decided on a 12 gauge 870 with rifle sights and wood furniture.
    This is an excellent solution.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Shotguns just arent very far up on my personal interest list, but may be fine for what you want. The takedown model 12 turned out to be a pretty good travel gun, very compact to pack, about 20" when taken down.

Being more rifle oriented, and in the circumstances you mention, a Winchester model 94 carbine (20" barrel) or so-called trapper size (16" barrel) might be useful. If you like glass, a Marlin, or one of the angle eject Winchesters, made after about 1984 or so, would work. Good peep sight is a big step up, but glass helps quite a lot of course. 30-30 gives power and range that pistol calibers dont, and ammo is available nearly everywhere. Id still take a pistol caliber lever action over a shotgun, but thats just me.

One of the other "PC" gun threads here got me thinking and for some reason I just couldn't get the idea out of my head of an ideal traveling gun project that would be 50 state friendly. I got myself a used Mossberg 500 from a local shop and picked up a used wood stock set for it for about $25 bucks. That alone makes it look so much more innocuous but eventually I'm going to get a 20" vent rib barrel for it which makes it look so much more like a plain hunting shotgun. The cool thing about the Mossberg is that the mag tube is threaded into the receiver and a mag cap from an 835 or 590 fits the threads so you can take the barrel and tube off and use the magazine cap to retain the spring and follower in the tube. Then you can fit it in your luggage if you want to take it into a hotel or something.

At some point I'm going to do the "tactical" lever action with a Marlin 336y or a 16" Mossberg 464. The CZ 527 can fit the role quite well also.

For a semi auto, Ruger makes a 16" Mini 14 without any provisions for a muzzle device.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 09-17-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    What I don't know is if any states on the list would have issue with a semi-auto gauge; nothing surprises me any more. Just throwing it out there.
    NJ, a semi auto can only have one of the following; folding/collapsible stock, pistol grip, fixed magazine capacity more than 5, and a detachable magazine. If your semi auto shotgun has two or more, it is an "assault weapon" under NJ law. There are a few banned by name, as well

CA law, I'm pretty sure is very similar. No detachable magazines, pistol grip and folding/collapsible stock combo, or a revolving cylinder. There might be other states with similar laws, but can't see them being that much stricter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    My current choice, if I had to pick right now (I have 6-9 months), would be a Wilson Scattergun BP model. I feel like the pump is the most versatile due to the wide variety of ammo. I'm also familiar with the breakdown and maintenance of an 870. That being said, the M2 Field I had was extremely easy to completely disassemble, I'd say easier than the 870. My other leading option is an M2 Tactical with Comfortech stock like my Field had (not a PG stock fan).

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Shotguns just arent very far up on my personal interest list, but may be fine for what you want. The takedown model 12 turned out to be a pretty good travel gun, very compact to pack, about 20" when taken down.

Being more rifle oriented, and in the circumstances you mention, a Winchester model 94 carbine (20" barrel) or so-called trapper size (16" barrel) might be useful. If you like glass, a Marlin, or one of the angle eject Winchesters, made after about 1984 or so, would work. Good peep sight is a big step up, but glass helps quite a lot of course. 30-30 gives power and range that pistol calibers dont, and ammo is available nearly everywhere. Id still take a pistol caliber lever action over a shotgun, but thats just me.
    The 357/44mag 1894 is the only other long gun I had considered. I have a Aimpoint T-2 I could throw on it. I've not shot one in either caliber, but I'd image I could run one as fast or faster than a 12ga pump, and also reach out a little further if need be (I don't foresee a need, but who knows). The ballistics I'm reading on both 357/44mag from 16 inch barrels seems kind of insane, in a good way. I do have an older model 357 Ruger Vaquero I could bring as well, to compliment a 357mag 1894.

I'm also really liking this, but don't know much about Taylor's firearms... http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-...16-357mag.html

ETA: Or this non-takedown model.... http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-...16-357mag.html
    Last edited by StraitR; 09-17-2017 at 04:19 PM.

M2 Tactical with an Aimpoint micro. Essentially a large caliber, tube fed AR.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    M2 Tactical with an Aimpoint micro. Essentially a large caliber, tube fed AR.
    I was literally counting on you to make that suggestion, because this was my first impulse. I'm quite fond of the M2 series Benelli's and their manual of operation. My M2 Field was 100% through a few thousand rounds (almost exclusively clay loads), and even digested a bunch of weak target loads, which made me happy. Can I assume the Tactical is just as reliable, staying with traditional defensive loadings (don't care about target loads)? I thought I read somewhere here that they could be a touch weight sensitive? Meaning, adding weight to the gun.
    Last edited by StraitR; 09-17-2017 at 04:26 PM.

User Tag List