Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 State Friendly HD Long Gun for Travel

50 State Friendly HD Long Gun for Travel

Without muddying down the thread with too many details, my family and I are planning on traveling the country for the next few years in an RV while my wife does travel nursing. We want to see, and show the kids, as many federal and state parks as possible during and in between her 13-17 week contracts. The only "out of the question" states/locations will be in the Northeast (NY/NJ/CT/MA or anywhere that would require us to pass through). AR's are a no-go with some destinations out west that are definitely on our list, namely CA and CO.

Space and weight are limiting factors, so while multiple long guns are out, I would like to have one with us for HD, be that against two or four legged predators. There are several locations we want to visit that have bears, both black and brown. No hunting is planned, no rifle target shooting is planned, just a better HD option than pistols. FWIW, I'll be bringing a Wilson CCP 9mm, Baer TRS 45acp, S&W 638, and a 64' Ruger Bearcat, all 50 state friendly as far as capacity. Just renewed my FL resident CWL on Friday, so I'm good for another seven years in states with reciprocity, which I'll look into later.

So far, I'm leaning towards a 12ga for their effectiveness, versatility, and overall PC acceptance in the role of HD.

So, while leaving out idiotic states that want to imprison any non-resident caught with a firearm, what would your "one and only" 50 state friendly HD long gun choice be? Shotgun? Lever? Other?

Beretta 1301 tactical, right out of the box (with possible exception of an aftermarket loading gate lever fix)? 18.5" with sights. What I don't know is if any states on the list would have issue with a semi-auto gauge; nothing surprises me any more. Just throwing it out there.

Personally, I'd look at any similar trip as an excuse to finally pony up for the 1301.

Site Supporter
    Maybe a 12 or 20 gauge pump with two barrels, because I like to shoot clays, and the longer barrel works better for that. OTOH, space is at a premium. That being the case, a 20 gauge youth model pump would be my final answer: nothing and no one will walk off a slug or load of buck from one, kids can run it, it's smaller, ammo is light lighter and boxes for it are smaller.

Site Supporter
    12 gauge pump shotgun of your choice and /or some type of lever action rifle, either 39-30 or a 38/357.

Be advised in some states like NY mere possession of a handgun without the appropriate state license is a felony so I would not consider any handgun 50 state friendly unless you are LEOSA elidgible.

I have both.

A Winchester Model 12 shotgun that breaks down into two parts.

A Marlin 336Y youth model 30-30.

Both are compact, run well, and arouse very little of the "OMG evil assault weapon" hysteria. They just look like Grandpa's hunting guns.

Which they are.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have both.

A Winchester Model 12 shotgun that breaks down into two parts.

A Marlin 336Y youth model 30-30.

Both are compact, run well, and arouse very little of the "OMG evil assault weapon" hysteria. They just look like Grandpa's hunting guns.

Which they are.
    Truth. In this case, given the two .38 spl revolvers, a Marlin or Henry with an RDS and a light is a good option as well.

Wow, I did not know CO had a deal with AR-15's... they are banned by name?

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    Colorado doesn't have an issue with AR's, but their standard capacity magazines. I believe 15 rounds is the limit. Either way, we're definitely heading to CA, which does have a specific issue with AR's.

ETA: I threw in Colorado as another example to show that, "take an AR and just don't go to CA" won't work when the family wants to see a lot of National and State parks. That, and CA and CO both have some of the best compensation plans for travel nurses.
    Last edited by StraitR; 09-17-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    Not as far as I know, and I live here... ARs (MSR) are fine- I see them all the time the range. There is a (virtually unenforceable) ban on magazines greater than 15 rds, but only on purchasing them in the state. No problem with bringing one in for use, as long as you don't sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Not as far as I know, and I live here... ARs (MSR) are fine- I see them all the time the range. There is a (virtually unenforceable) ban on magazines greater than 15 rds, but only on purchasing them in the state. No problem with bringing one in for use, as long as you don't sell it.
    I didn't know that, thank you.

User Tag List