Thread: AAR: William Aprill's Unthinkable class 09/16/17 Brookville OH

AAR: William Aprill's Unthinkable class 09/16/17 Brookville OH

I attended the William Aprill Unthinkable class yesterday in Brookville OH sponsored by Lady and a Gun organization.

I won't go into extreme detail on everything as there are plenty of reviews on this course and there is so much covered I wouldn't do it justice. Below is just some of my observations,praise and complaints even if minor.

The class was scheduled to start at 9am I got mixed up and thought 830 so I unfortunately was there a bit early at 820 and bothered the family hosting the event worried that I was at the wrong place since no one else was there. No worries right place and better early than late. Unfortunately we did get a little late start around 910 which isn't bad but it compounded throughout the day. The class is lecture and power point discussion about targeting,criminal mindset,and related topics of human nature from the defender and Violent Criminal Actor VCA perspective. It covered sanity and various psychological issues both from a legal and academic perspective. Mental illness and drug/chemical use and abuse factors in assaults. It also covered other areas of how defenders can be targeted or de select themselves. In total I have 17 pages of notes to review and could have had more.

The class covered area related to police killers and killings and data or resources I have and have studied in depth in several other courses so a section was old to me material but very beneficial to anyone not deeply involved in the topic who had previous classes on the information.

We broke for lunch at 1pm with an expected return at 2pm with most of the 11 students going together to a local restaurant as was tradition or arranged. This was another added delay as the drive was 7 min each way,we had a new waitress and getting 11 people ordered,served,eating and returned was not happening. 230 or so restart. This along with some discussions that extended or diverted the class plan and time set for completing everything by the 530 end time got things delayed a bit. Thankfully William stayed on and we finished the class portion at about 630 then 10 min break to start the weapon retention hands on portion of the course.

The weapon retention part was good and for the attendees who I believe all regular citizens not LE probably the right level of early weapon retention skills. The verbal and non verbal section was the best part for me. In the end we stopped at 730 and left for the 1.5 hour drive home fairly quickly.

This leads to my complaint or suggestion which I will pass along to William. The class is excellent and has a lot of really valuable information already. I think the class would be better in a 2 day or day and half format at a minimum. This would allow for some deeper discussion of issues brought up without cutting short interesting ideas because of time constriction. The delay in starting,lunch and some question and comments by attendees ate into some of the good parts and/or extended the day. I took written notes a few pictures of screen shots but even 17 pages of notes doesn't capture it as well as I hoped for future reference. I would really like to see a workbook,outline/syllabus or maybe a power point availability be offered. I have several videos of Interviews with William and PDN which he had available for purchase but I thought much more was covered in class that I would like to review later. Unfortunately theft,selling and unauthorized sharing of William speaking or information is a problem the good instructors have to deal with so I empathize not wanting easy to steal info.

I got home around 915pm after leaving at 7am so it was a long day for classroom learning primarily but the course well well worth the cost in time and money. I would recommend it to anyone at any level from citizen, police or military who wants a better understanding of criminal mindset,victim selection and psychological factors related to self defense and crime.

Lastly the hosts were very nice and approachable. The classroom was mostly comfortable temp wise(a little warm at times but not bad) and chairs were OK but sitting for 10 hours is never going to be great. They had drinks and snacks available for free which is always nice and appreciated. The screen view and sound was without issue and it was small enough to hear clearly William and attendee questions.

If anyone has any questions or wants more details feel free to post here or PM me.

It was good to meet you and enjoyed breaking bread with you.

User Tag List