Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Reload is it time to revisit the technique

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    Octagon never said don't top off the gun, as has been assumed by most of the commentators unfortunately
    Neither did Sean M. Which commentator did?

For the typical the typical ccw'er (like moi) does it make sense to work on multiple ways to top off the gun? One just learn the easiest, fastest way?
    Reloads are a very low return skill for most carriers, period. That said, you've got to reload the gun anyway when you practice. It doesn't seem like much of an investment to practice tac reloads when the drill doesn't leave you at slide lock and speed reloads from slide lock.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Neither did Sean M. Which commentator did?

Reloads are a very low return skill for most carriers, period. That said, you've got to reload the gun anyway when you practice. It doesn't seem like much of an investment to practice tac reloads when the drill doesn't leave you at slide lock and speed reloads from slide lock.
    In the other thread it was assumed several times. In this thread there have been several comments about "it is better to have the gun topped off".

From Angus: Had the BadGuy’s car come back through, Dean C had a full blaster instead of a half full one. To me that is worth the training time.
    From AMC: But I had a gun with 12 rounds in it instead of 3....which was better.

To be honest, I'm not sure what Sean M. was referring to, so apologies to Sean for assuming something instead of asking for clarification.

How many types of 'in battery' reloads do you think should be trained for? If only one, why not the easy one?
    Last edited by Soggy; 09-17-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: slightly better grammar

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    How many types of 'in battery' reloads should do you think should be trained for? If only one, why not the easy one?
    I don't think it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    First of all the code names need to go. What does Tactical Reload mean to the uninitiated? Reload with Retention or Reload with out Retention is clearer and gets to the heart of the matter.

Do you feel comfortable dropping unused rounds given the circumstances? What are you carrying? I live in a Hell Hole where the non-LEO is not allowed to have more than 10 rounds in a magazine. I carry a 1911. If I fired 2 or 3 rounds and had one spare magazine of eight rounds I would not feel comfortable abandoning 40% of my available ammunition.

Since the operation of plusing up the gun is conducted during a lull in the action I am not going to get overly excited about the time benefits of one verses the other. The difference is relatively negligible.
    The "code names" as you stated, are only the generally accepted terms I found and some specific name is needed for each technique to have a discussion and not confuse techniques that are similar and accomplish the same thing in slightly different ways. A reload with retention means retaining the magazine. A tac reload as described above is a reload with retention and so is removing the magazine and securing it in a posket,then putting in a full magazine then returning to 2 hand grip. One is faster than the other and one requires manipulating two magazines in the same hand. Should they both be taught and practiced? Does a small handed person with double stack magazines have the same ease at performing both?

As far as limited capacity magazines are concerned that is a factor that needs to be considered as the size of the magazine matters when juggling them in one hand and there is a point of diminishing returns. Is it worth the time and effort to train/practice to accomplish a certain technique to retain a magazine with 2 rounds in it? 3? 5? or 1?

The "lull" in the action. The lull is always an unknown amount of time. Is accomplishing the most important part of a task better to be done in the shortest amount of time or a little longer and take more effort/dexterity ? There is the time element and there is the complexity/dexterity element also.

Are there documented cases were small differences in reload speed mattered?
    Are there documented cases were an officer were the length of time the gun spent as a "single shot" mattered?
    To the first question there are for revolvers but for semi autos as we are discussing I don't know off the top of my head. The second question would also be difficult to determine as it could be construed that the person was out of ammunition if they were killed with a empty gun(i.e. having fired that single shot and been killed. It may be looked at as if the person killed was killed while reloading from slide lock and the slide didn't lock open or they had a malfunction. We know the winners can relay their actions but the losers in shootings/gunfights we are going on the condition of the gun,location of magazine if there are no reliable witnesses or video.

Since it may be difficult to document or have proof of in some circumstances what was attempted it is a concern. Does a technique that allows for a shorter time of reload matter? Should we train and practice such a technique if it only saves a small amount of time? It sure appears from the multitude of posts about a split being .1 faster than a different technique allowed for. Same goes fro draw,regular reloads(whatever they are) and stoppage clearances.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    First of all the code names need to go. What does Tactical Reload mean to the uninitiated?
    And even to the trained and initiated "combat", "speed", and "tactical" may have wildly different meanings and associated procedures. (See also: ready position labels.)
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I won't waste anyone's time by banging out a novel length response, but the "tactical reload" has proven the usefulness of the technique on countless occasions. Just because one can't find an example where the documented use is available to the general public doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Go to enough gunfights, eventually you'll find yourself in a position where the "tactical reload" is the appropriate action to take.
    Has the Tac reload been a more useful technique than the faster,easier,less dexterous alternate techniques would have been? That seem to be the question no one is asking or answering. Is there a better technique that novices,LEOs who work for agencies with limited training time and budget,citizens who only get basic training levels as well as the super high speed hard core training junkies?

Wow I never thought by putting a name to associate it with a technique would cause so much angst. If you are bothered by the terms I used or believe they are the same as something else we can use technique 1 technique 2 and technique 3 for the 3 techniques described in the first post. What they are called by whom doesn't matter but having a discussion without first having some agreement what each technique is becomes a effort in futility.

I don't think it matters.
    Maybe this is where the disconnect is. If a person has X amount of time to train and X amount of time to practice. Will they get more repetitions in each technique if they are performing 10 different techniques or 5? If one technique is similar to another do they gain any benefit from the similarities between techniques?

Maybe as training junkies or gun as part of a lifestyle people many on this board may have different priorities and have different time,money,effort balances than the average police officer, CCH or home defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I won't waste anyone's time by banging out a novel length response, but the "tactical reload" has proven the usefulness of the technique on countless occasions. Just because one can't find an example where the documented use is available to the general public doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Go to enough gunfights, eventually you'll find yourself in a position where the "tactical reload" is the appropriate action to take.
    This.

A couple of years ago, I was in the woods with my brother-in-law catching up on some low-light training. It was well after dark with a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Between us we had probably put 100 rounds downrange. During a lull in fire, we heard what I can only describe as a blood-curdling scream come out of the woods in front of us. I didn't know what had screamed or how far away it was, but it sounded close.

I decided that standing there with a G19 and half a mag of FMJ ammo was not ideal. I also decided that while a tactical reload might not improve the situation much, it would improve my feelings about the situation considerably. So I did one. I don't remember what technique I used (and I'm not sure that it matters) but I swapped mags, racked the slide, and told my BIL to do the same with his 6920. One he had topped off, we jumped in the truck and headed back to town.

We figure the scream was probably a mountain lion protecting a kill. I went back to that spot looking for bones after the snow melted but didn't find anything.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 09-17-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Replace omitted article.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List