Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critique my draw, please?

Critique my draw, please?

I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate place to put this, so mods, move/delete if inappopriate..

Would any of you with more experience than me (probably all of you) mind critiquing my draw? I recorded a practice session in my workshop using an airsoft G19 (shape and weight are surprisingly close to the real one) and my standard holster and clothing. I'm a little out of practice on the draw and this was my first time practicing with this holster and weapon. I picked one evolution at random and converted it to a gif:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzc...ew?usp=sharing

Yeah, I know, airsoft... but this way I'm more likely to do it.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

We do have a video review thread.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Review-Thread

Not sure why people stopped posting in there, but I think this would be a good addition to that.

Video review thread is a good place for it, definitely.

From first glance, and only looking at the one repetition, try for a smoother stop at the end of extension. More stillness, sooner, as the gun is stopping will allow you to aim and trigger the first shot accurately, a little sooner. It looks like you are riding the clock at the end of the stroke a little bit, as you are waiting out the little earthquake in the sights that comes from the harder stop.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter

I have fond that standing more upright, and 86'ing the hunching has been the single biggest factor in improving my draw consistency and speed.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Video review thread is a good place for it, definitely.

From first glance, and only looking at the one repetition, try for a smoother stop at the end of extension. More stillness, sooner, as the gun is stopping will allow you to aim and trigger the first shot accurately, a little sooner. It looks like you are riding the clock at the end of the stroke a little bit, as you are waiting out the little earthquake in the sights that comes from the harder stop.
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll give that a try next practice session. Going back and looking at the slow-mo one I took, I do see the gun bouncing just a bit at the end of extension. I was trying to wait for the sights to settle a bit as well as get a bit of a sight picture--I'm trying to do better than just "a quick shot somewhere on the paper/silhouette". In hindsight from this and from doing FAST drills with live fire yesterday, even slowing my draw a bit so as not to tick off the RO it appears the "stop and acquire target" routine is burning time for me.

Also, didn't know about the video thread. I'll post further ones there.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

I will echo a couple of the comments above. I watched the video (.gif) a few times this morning but did'nt have time to comment then.

I thought your stance/posture could be more relaxed. You looked to be further forward that you need to be for effective recoil management. Also your arms appeared like they may be at full extension. Arms fully extended sacrifices control and power. I would strive for a firing position where you weight is forward but not excessively and no hunching or crouching. You should look solid but relaxed when you get to full extension. When presenting the gun to the firing position think of the gun arriving in a zero energy state. There should not be any hard brakes being applied to stop the gun nor should it bounce off the limit. The goal is to eliminate instability when the gun reaches its full presentation.
    Last edited by JohnO; 09-22-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I will echo a couple of the comments above. I watched the video (.gif) a few times this morning but did'nt have time to comment then.

I thought your stance/posture could be more relaxed. You looked to be further forward that you need to be for effective recoil management. Also your arms appeared like they may be at full extension. Arms fully extended sacrifices control and power. I would strive for a firing position where you weight is forward but not excessively and no hunching or crouching. You should look solid but relaxed when you get to full extension. When presenting the gun to the firing position think of the gun arriving in a zero energy state. There should not be any hard brakes being applied to stop the gun nor should it bounce off the limit. The goal is to eliminate instability when the gun reaches its full presentation.
    My arms aren't locked out but they are pretty much straight. I'll work on the lean, though.

Thanks again for the input, everyone. Looks like I have some more work to do...

When working on draws and reloads at speed I really try to focus on moving only my ams, anything else is wasted motion that eats up a surprising amount of time.

Applying this to a concealed draw, it might be better to say "move only what needs to move." As others said, from where you start you're leaning and twisting your body (may be necessary to clear the shirt) a fair amount during the draw plus dropping your head and hunching your shoulders, each of which takes time.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have fond that standing more upright, and 86'ing the hunching has been the single biggest factor in improving my draw consistency and speed.
    For whatever reason, most likely trying to emulate the TLG pressout while working with a DA/SA Brig Tac and P30 LEM, I had a habit of leaning forward/hunching. I don't feel compelled to do that with SFA or SA guns, and find my consistency to be much better as well.

ETA: I can't say with any certainty that it's affected my speed, one way or the other.
    Last edited by StraitR; 09-24-2017 at 05:33 PM.

User Tag List