Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Rights - USA friends: Please don't give them an inch - Australia's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Since Obama was elected we've become very adept at telling lawmakers to shove it up their ass. So far so good outside of a few traditionally communist shithole states.
    My observation is that the good states have maintained the status quo or gotten a little better, but the bad states have gotten significantly worse. The anti's are making progress in those places. That's dangerous because those places have legislators and politicians that get elected president and whatnot. They can have influence outside of their shitty spheres of influence.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Is anyone else worried about Trump's hard left turn over the past week?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    One has to worry that changing demographics will erode states that seem good or that a horrible incident will lead to a stampede of new laws that craven politicians will support. It is disappointing that the Supreme Court's supposed conservatives have not supported even looking at the 'bad' state bans. Similarly, the lack of interest in Congress to mitigate state bans is disgusting. The issues that roil the Congress have led to the RKBA being deliberately ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    My position on gun control starts with the idea that the physical defense of one's person, loved ones and property against those who would do them harm is a fundamental human right. It is not created, but rather recognized by the United States Constitution. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only country with that fundamental understanding of the dignity, responsibility, and value of human life built into its founding document.
    I agree, and wish to add this: the right of self defense, the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, has a source, the Founders did not invent it from whole cloth.

Rather, they proclaimed that God, the Creator of the world "endowed" humanity with their fundamental human rights. That is, these human rights were not property that could be traded, sold or exchanged for something else...we were "endowed" with them....that it, we came equipped with them, they're an essential element of what it means to be a human person.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Declaration of Independence 1776.

I'm not trying to evangelize here, but to point out that the Founders never claimed to invent a right where it had not existed before. They simply acknowledged that the rights to "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" were a natural and essential element of what it means to be free men and women in the world.

Sermon over, rant off.

The fangs of Mike the Tiger in my avatar weren't very sharp last night as we were humbled by the Bulldogs of Miss State. Coach O, his staff and the team have a lot of work to do....
    Last edited by walker2713; 09-17-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

As of yet, no. Right now I'd call it a shrewd political move. But then, I'm also not a hard right conservative (I'm more "small-L" libertarian if anything) and I absolutely detest party politics and "they support it so we must oppose it".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    They simply acknowledged that the rights to "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" were a natural and essential element of what it means to be free men and women in the world.
    That right there is the part that says it for me.

Site Supporter
    My position on gun control starts with the idea that the physical defense of one's person, loved ones and property against those who would do them harm is a fundamental human right. It is not created, but rather recognized by the United States Constitution. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only country with that fundamental understanding of the dignity, responsibility, and value of human life built into its founding document.
    And...The Bill of Right specifies, at least in spirit, not what a citizen may do, but what the G may not.

Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    I recall a year or two ago Obama was wanting to introduce some gun laws and was looking to Australia as a prime example of what 'great' firearm laws can accomplish.

The other day a father on their rural farm in Australia confronted an armed intruder with an unloaded .22 rifle. (Didn't point it at the intruder, simply held it as a 'prop'). This caused the intruder to think twice and drop his knife. The end result was the farmer driving the intruder to the police station to hand him in.

A good outcome? Not according to Australian government and police. Their response was first to confiscate all the farmers firearms. Unsure yet of what charges will be laid (against the farmer/victim, not the intruder).

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4...is-home/?cs=11

Rather, what the Australian government has been telling, and expects of it's citizens is to comply and give criminals everything they ask for. "Don't resist. Comply with all criminals demands". I've seen this mentioned numerous times by the authorities, on TV, online and in papers.

And that's exactly what many people have been doing. Numerous times criminals have aggressively entered into people's homes, demanded keys to people's cars, phones, and other items - which most citizens now hand over. (And in many cases still get a beating - just for complying).

We have little to no way of defending ourselves. (Firearms can not be used in self defense here. We're not even allowed to have tazers or pepper spray in our own homes to protect our families with, let alone our property). The only 'weapon' we are permitted is a phone to 'call the police' on.

The end result of course is that this has only made criminals more brazen.

I have no doubt this is where America would have started to head if Obama had have gotten his way. Please don't give them an inch my USA friends. It all began in Australia with what seemed like a simple innocent move from the government - and ever since then has just continued to escalate further and further. Their first request will seem innocent and logical - but the end result is insanity leaving it's citizens as defenseless as lambs amongst wolves. Please learn from our mistakes.
    Will trade 20:1 US liberals for 1 good Aussie. I love your country, it is shame what has happened.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Will trade 20:1 US liberals for 1 good Aussie. I love your country, it is shame what has happened.
    I'll take your deal! :-)

I loved my country but I am concerned it's fast becoming what I've disliked about many other countries. I envy Americans with your incredible constitution!

I've actually thought about moving to the USA, although not sure I'd qualify. (Don't have university education, no relatives, etc. Yes - I've actually had a quick look as to what would be involved ). I like the idea of swapping USA liberals to move here for Aussies who love your constitution would work. What about all those celebrities that promised to leave if Trump won? The liberal Australians would be agreeable on that front too I'd reckon - might be one of the few things we could all agree on.

Australia has so much to be proud of, but unfortunately most of it seems to be in it's history now. I'm concerned we're living on borrowed time of the good that those that have gone before us have done.
    Last edited by -ad-; 09-18-2017 at 02:07 AM.

When it comes to firearms, no. There is absolutely zero chance that any gun control law will pass in the next 3 years.

Having said that, I'm very worried about what the effect of Trump's presidency will have on the viability of Republicanism and the Conservative movement beyond the next 4 years. All bets are off for what America will look like 10-15 years from now...
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-18-2017 at 03:18 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List