Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Frame value

J Frame value

I found an aluminum frame J frame, .38 special, black finish, bobbed hammer, firing pin on hammer, no lock, Ahrends and original grips and box $425.00
    Seemed steep to me but I thought I would ask the experts here.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I'm not an expert, gunsmith or even revolver enthusiast- but I would buy it assuming

the finish was original
    the screws aren't marred, ideally untouched
    and the breach face /bore look clean

Idk if that one would be eligible for their life time warranty, but I know the firing pin snubs, and this could be totally in my head, but they seem to me to have a better trigger pull. Plus, the grips are worth a few bucks, which if you sell will cheapen the piece- especially if you don't have to pay tax or transfer

Also with a piece like that- if they let you shoot to make sure the barrel is aligned, awesome- but prob not a deal breaker for me
    Last edited by Isaac; 09-16-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    I'm not an expert, gunsmith or even revolver enthusiast- but I would buy it assuming

the finish was original
    the screws aren't marred, ideally untouched
    and the breach face /bore look clean

Idk if that one would be eligible for their life time warranty, but I know the firing pin snubs, and this could be totally in my head, but they seem to me to have a better trigger pull. Plus, the grips are worth a few bucks, which if you sell will cheapen the piece- especially if you don't have to pay tax or transfer

Also with a piece like that- if they let you shoot to make sure the barrel is aligned, awesome- but prob not a deal breaker for me
    The trigger pull was very good. Better than my other two hammerless J frames with a trigger job.

Do eeeeeeeet!!!

Offer $375. Settle on $400 OTD.

With new no-lock 442's, going sometimes $100 cheaper than their asking price, as a pragmatic move, you'd be better off with the 442/642. However, if you want a carry piece with slightly more value, then do it, but be cool with the premium price.

AND POST PICS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Offer $375. Settle on $400 OTD.

With new no-lock 442's, going sometimes $100 cheaper than their asking price, as a pragmatic move, you'd be better off with the 442/642. However, if you want a carry piece with slightly more value, then do it, but be cool with the premium price.

AND POST PICS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ok thats what I will do

While it is hard to go on that description, being there is absolutely nothing in regards to condition, if it is one of those 37s they did when the no-lock revolver runs started, I'd grab it for $425. I got my 642-1 at that time, but did look at those for a little bit. Rather the sealed action over an exposed bobbed hammer.

Don't get me wrong, try to haggle on the price, but if the price is firm, I wouldn't worry about $25 or $50 when you really can't get them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    While it is hard to go on that description, being there is absolutely nothing in regards to condition, if it is one of those 37s they did when the no-lock revolver runs started, I'd grab it for $425. I got my 642-1 at that time, but did look at those for a little bit. Rather the sealed action over an exposed bobbed hammer.

Don't get me wrong, try to haggle on the price, but if the price is firm, I wouldn't worry about $25 or $50 when you really can't get them anymore.
    There wasm't a wear line on the cylinder. It had rings where it had been shot and the barrel was dirty. It had some gummed up old lubricant. I am really liking my big dot M&P 340 Big Dot and I've seen them recently for less than 600 but this gun is kinda cool and I'd like to have at least one hammer J frame. Looks like it is factory or gunsmith bobbed. I'll have to ask.
    ETA Just looked and cheapest I see now is 700. I should have bought it. (MP 340)
    Last edited by UNK; 09-16-2017 at 09:29 PM.

S&W did a run of these... had to find a picture on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    S&W did a run of these... had to find a picture on the internet.

That looks like the gun.

User Tag List