Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breaking shots at speed

Thanks for the great feedback and information. This helps provide clear direction on the next steps I need to take. Rock and roll!

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Curious?

Once we've "mastered" @Wayne Dobbs (or rather Vicker's) drill, does it make sense to start this drill with the trigger pinned to the rear? That would add resetting the trigger.
    I've done this dry, no reason it cannot be done live as well

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Curious?

Once we've "mastered" @Wayne Dobbs (or rather Vicker's) drill, does it make sense to start this drill with the trigger pinned to the rear? That would add resetting the trigger.
    No. I don't ever pin triggers. For the drill: slack out the trigger, establish sights and press smoothly/quickly on the beep without disturbing the lay of the gun on the target. Repeat until mastery has occurred. Reset the trigger and take up slack DURING RECOIL, not afterwards. When the gun comes out of recoil, you should have a slacked out trigger and a new (and excellent) sight picture and be <0.25 seconds from another center hit.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 09-17-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A member, in a recent DA/SA thread, described a method of taking up a large amount of travel quickly, until the trigger stacks, then modulating the rest based on target size. I have been experimenting with this, with the P30L, and it is interesting.

That may have been me. I would be curious to get your opinion after you have played with it for a while. Please PM me if you get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrhawk View Post
    That may have been me. I would be curious to get your opinion after you have played with it for a while. Please PM me if you get the chance.
    Will answer here, since others will be interested. Have been using it with a P30L, and drybfire with a USP FS and Langdon PX4C.

As I understand your method, it is to use the stacking point as a gauge of how far through the DA press you are. Go aggressive to get to the stacking, then modulate the remaining travel based on target distance and size. I like that it is a way of bifurcating the press, allowing speed and precision.

Timer says it is fast, so I like it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That is it. I choose to roll through the stack slower when the shot is more difficult (size/distance/danger). In my mind his slow down is not to allow for a cleaner trigger pull (that's a bonus). Dry fire tells me how fast I can be without disturbing the sight alignment/picture. I slow down so that my eyes may better "see" the level/quality of sight picture needed to make the shot.
    Last edited by Hrhawk; 09-17-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I did Wayne's drill on eight inch plates at 50 yards today. Neat drill, and really reinforces the desirability of aggressively prepping.

I would also make sure you are watching the sights/dot throughout the entire trigger press. This happens me sometimes when I shoot LEM after shorter triggers -- I need to be careful to concentrate throughout the press, since it takes longer.
    LEM is awesome for shooting nice tight groups....6 inches low. I started a thread about front sight heights because it through me for such a loop my first couple range trips, felt like a dumbass later.

ER_STL,

Sorry about my slowness getting back to you. I was out of town, and arrived back to a totally screwed up computer/internet situation and I am finally up and running again.

Much good advice has already been given in this thread.

To add my $.02:

Work on isolating your trigger finger at speed. Do this dry and live both. When the trigger finger starts moving faster, it is harder to isolate it and avoid sympathetic squeeze in the other fingers of the same hand. The Command Fire drill that Wayne Dobbs suggested is excellent and fits right into this category. Here are a few more drills that speak to this element:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....rk-The-Trigger (just the version of the Command Fire drill I wrote up for the DotW)

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Three-Triggers (dry fire work on the basic trigger press, with finger starting from a few different positions)

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Single-Target (dry fire work on linking front sight movement to the next trigger press)

You might want to prep/put more weight on the trigger during recoil. There is a fine line here (too heavy and you'll fire the shot while the gun is still in recoil, before it is back on target.) Resetting and then putting more weight on the trigger while the front sight is going up and coming back to the target spot will tend to make the subsequent shot a little easier to finalize without pulling the gun low.

Trying hard to control recoil, or actively driving the gun back to the target spot, can sometimes result in overdriving the gun lower than the target spot. You might experiment with a simple mental intention - instead of trying to bring the gun back, see if having a thought of allowing the gun to come back to the target spot helps. Sometimes that is a more productive intention/thought.

And if you think target focused shooting is working better for you (in this case, in terms of avoiding a possible anticipatory issue), then I think it is worth exploring target focused shooting. A lot of excellent shooting is done exactly that way - don't discount its potential.

Good luck!

Gabe
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Breaking shots at speed

Your brain is anticipating the recoil and is pushing forward (and usually down) on the gun. Try relaxing and taking deep breaths and on an exhale slowly perform you best trigger press. When you get this very common flinch beat just increase the speed of your shots. When your groups begin to widen slow down to when they tighten again. Repeat.

Also dry-firing improves everything.

http://www.anamericanwithagun.com/
    Optimism is true moral courage. - Sir Ernest Shackleton

I've been using the drill @Wayne Dobbs posted in this thread the last two range trips. I highly recommend it to anyone that's reading this and on the fence about it. Also shared it with a good friend of mine that's been having some issues when he tries to speed up, hoping it helps him as well

User Tag List