Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What is something expensive you don't regret buying?

Banned
    In 1994 when my father died I decided to take some of my inheritance and by a quality stero system that I'd have for the rest of my life to remember him by. I picked up one of the last Kenwood "bookshelf" systems they sold at the BX. Almost 25 years later I still have it and it still sounds good.

I don't know that I paid more for them but I bought a pair of Belleville 700 "duty" boots for work 7 or 8 years ago that I have walked over 4000 miles on that I still have.

Fenix UC35 rechargeable light that I bought for work 3 years ago. 95$ but I haven't had to buy batteries in that time.

Camera bodies are not a good investment but the Nikon D500 gives me the ability to shoot low light sports.

I switched from Nike to Keen about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I have not tried Salomon so I can't compare the two.

And I am an Apple fan, phones and computers.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Fenix UC35 rechargeable light that I bought for work 3 years ago. 95$ but I haven't had to buy batteries in that time.
    Yeah, that reminds me -- I bought one of the first SureFire LEDs 10 or 15 (or more?) years ago. It was crazy expensive for the time (maybe $100?), but for running trails at night, the LED was so much better than the minimag or Pelican lights I had been using. The SureFire was made of metal, so if (when) I fell, it wouldn't break. I also used that light when I worked in the field and bashed it up plenty. LEDs have improved a lot since then and have gotten cheaper, but that light still works well and I carry it in my daily commuting backpack. I have easily gotten my money's worth out of that investment.

1. Quality mechanical watches. I still have the Breitling Navitimer I bought when I was in high school 45 years ago and an Omega Speedmaster I bought for my college graduation present to myself almost 40 years ago. Both still run fine and keep good time. Worth a lot more than I paid for them. I really regret getting talked out of buying a Rolex Submariner when they were $300 or so.
    2. S&W N frame revolvers, '60s vintage and earlier.
    3. SIG P210 pistols.
    4. Sony TVs. They just work.
    5. Mercedes cars. I had a '98 C230 that was my favorite car. I would still have it had not family circumstances intervened.
    Last edited by LtDave; 09-16-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

The garage gym. I have more stuff than I need but I enjoy it.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I don't spend on myself frequently, but when I do, I want something that my son can be proud to use when he's ready. I don't regret spending heavily on custom Colts, and leather. And the Rolex/Panerai watches will be classic for his lifetime too. I've been perfectly happy to spend serious money on some custom knives that will last lifetimes as well.

For my wife, I'll splurge wherever I can, as she deserves so much for putting up with my shit. She doesn't even wear a ring, and since I'm generally working so much, people think she's unmarried!! But if I can afford it, I'm happy to spend on classic fashion (Chanel/LV/Louboutin/etc)

For the house, a great espresso machine was worth every penny, and the Lecreuset cookware has provided guests and ourselves with great food and memories that are truly priceless.

I'll tell you in 13 more years, if the $20k we're putting in, yearly, for school has been worthwhile

Street legal lifted golf cart. I paid "real car money" ($8k) for a golf cart, but we really enjoy the hell out of it going to and from froends' houses in the neighborhood, and out for cruises when the weather is noce, and knowing I can go 25 mph relatively safely and without legal issues is worth it to me. Our neighborhood also has a Halloween crawl where we hook up the trailer and go on a hay ride with some friends and that alone has been worth the $10k I have in the whole setup (cart and trailer).

Totally frivolous, totally worth it.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    My wife and I took a somewhat spontaneous trip to Easter Island a few years ago. I've not traveled much, but I haven't regretted any money I've ever spent on travel.

As for physical possessions, my Toro ZTR mower is at the top of my list. Also when I was in high school (early 1990s), I bought a Ruger No. 1 and put a Leupold scope on it. It was exactly what I wanted at the time, and I'm still 100% happy with it. I've yet to shoot a deer with any other gun.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

House that is WAY too big for a 4 (soon to be 3) person household.

Luxury Time Pieces- Rolex, Tag Heuer, Breitling, RESCO, Omega, IWC. I only have two wrists, yet a collection of watches.

Gold Coins- Krugerrands, American Gold Eagles, Chinese Pandas, etc. Makes me feel good when I read the news to know that at least some of my wealth is secure from our crooked government, crooked banks, and crazy ass world we are living in.

2012 Tahoe LTZ- Insanely expensive for an SUV, terrible fuel efficiency, and a pain to park in tight areas. Still, it is my second all time favorite vehicle I've owned.

Weapons- They come and go, but I never regret buying any of them.

Harley Fat Boy- Don't regret buying it. But I don't ride it anymore. Anyone interested? It is for sale!!!

Platinum Diamond engagement/wedding set- Sold many many firearms so I could pay cash for the "Third Time is a Charm" marriage, and not be in debt for 20 years for a piece of jewelry signifying marriage; an institution that has historically proven to be a poor financial investment.

Cellular Smart Phone & Calling/Data Plan- After using a work provided Smart Phone, International Service, and Data Plan, it made me stop pissing and moaning every month when Verizon bill was due. In the time I had an employer provided phone and plan, we used three different big name service providers, and they all sucked bad compared to my personal phone, plan, and customer service.

I''d finish this list with the still being worked on walk-in vault/ultimate man cave, but I'm not convinced I'll be without regret on the amount of money expended to make it happen. Perhaps when the vacated house sells, and I finally finish getting the room organized and ready for actual use, I can relax knowing I don't have to pay two mortgages, and will find myself not regretting it. Right now, there is a lot of anxiety over this room, and how much cash was used to pay for it.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List