Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is something expensive you don't regret buying?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The most expensive (non-car/house) single item I've ever purchased that I don't regret in the slightest was the engagement ring I bought for my wife 17 years ago. She puts up with my $hit, doesn't get uptight about my gun or bike purchases, and gave me two great kids.
    Was about to post exactly this.
    We're not any kind of austentatious people, but every now and then someone will complement her ring and the smile it brings is priceless. 22 years for us.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    4runner and mustang.

1999 Miata, bought last year as a summer fun car. Seemed like a wildly extravagant impulse buy but my wife just loves it, and it makes us both smile. That's worth a lot.
    Last edited by peterb; 09-16-2017 at 09:36 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

Every man should have a solid time piece that's worth it's weight and lasts enough to pass on to your kids.
    I dont because 1) poor 2) I buy cheap digital watches with large faces and font so I can easily read the in the ED and won't be sad if they get destroyed or I throw them away or lose them.

but I agree, one day.

something expensive I dont regret buying: Peltor Comtac III earpro. Bought them on GJM's recommendation even though they were $75 more than Sordins. Don't regret them for half a second. Most incredible earpro I've ever used (including Sordins).
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-16-2017 at 09:40 AM.

My WC CQB's. They just work.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Sako TRG .308

I have never really had a super nice precision rifle, but always wanted one. I also have always wanted a Sako, and from having shot them before, I knew of their capabilities, which from a factory rifle is absolutely stellar. I sold a few rifles to fund this one a number of years back and have never regretted it a single minute.

I have even taken it elk hunting a couple times, and while it is heavy as heck, the ability to precisely place projectiles where you want them makes it worth the weight penalty.

A perfect example being a group of cows bunched up and not having a good body shot. One stuck her head out, and I placed a projectile right below her ear, and dropped her instantly. The literal "light switch" shot.

Another cow from that same trip:

So for me, the Sako TRG has definitely been the one purchase that I don't regret making at all. The Sako/Nightforce combo is one that I never have to worry about.

The same holds true for my primary "all around" rifle.

It is "only" a Tikka T3 .308. That said it shoots WAY above its pay grade. Topped with an older 2.5-10x24 Nightforce, and wearing a McMillan stock, it is everything I need in a non magnum rifle. The scope costs 2x what the rifle does, but that is OK, the rifle shoots so well that if someone offered me a top end rifle like a Sako Bavarian, I would have to decline. I doubt I would gain any performance, so why mess with success.

Aimpoint Micro.

I've owned two. My first I've had for 7 years or so. I've never turned it off and have only replaced the battery once. It's been mounted on half a dozen guns now. I will probably never sell it.

The second one I stupidly stripped a mounting screw hole (I'm a notorious over tightener) and took a bath on the price when I sold it.

I've owned other less expensive optics but they all ended up getting sold. I'm a firm believer of "buy once cry once" when it comes to optics.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 09-16-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

My wife's engagement ring. I spent two years saving for it to buy her something nicer than she wanted.

I don't regret buying any of the Colt 1911s I've bought.

I don't regret selling all of those Colts to pay for my wife's masters degree.

Boots and shoes (Nick's and Fluevogs)

My Ban Tang CP over my China pick

TAD gear merino pull overs

�� whiskey

I'm not counting work gear: anything that I get paid to use in front of other people I go as high end as possible. Life is short; tax write off. That's also what got me into apple products back in the day.

That's about it. I spent well under 3k for my current daily driver, and it's still going strong. I'm probably not the guy who should be responding to this thread. Aside from the Ban Tang and my various custom boots.

ETA: yeah, I forgot about watches. My two main timepieces are very reasonable by enthusiast standards, but I've owned 4 Sinns, an Omega or two, and some other things that came and went. They were all great, and good places to park a little bit of dough for a while.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 09-16-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Red wing work boots. I always bought 100$ ish boots. They would last a year. My last pair of wings lasted 5 years. American made with a lifetime warrantee.

Snapon tools-pretty much everyone of them. Screw chinese garbage. I need my stuff to work and be reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List