Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is something expensive you don't regret buying?

A nice lightweight canoe.
    If the the thought of loading your bargelike canoe on the roof makes you groan, you're not going to go paddle very often. A light boat that's easy to load has meant a lot more time on the water. We've had a lot of nice after-dinner evening paddles because it's not a big deal to load up and go.

Nice canoe and kayak paddles make a day on the water much more comfortable.

A bike fit. Paying to be professionally fit made a huge difference in comfort and efficiency.

Weapons
    - HK P30 - very reliable and accurate
    - HK MR308 (the MR762 in Germany) - dito (1 MOA)

Motorbike
    - Honda CBR600RR - bought new in 2007, still the lightest 600 cc production bike on the planet, no problems

Car
    - Seat Ibiza SC (very similar to the VW Polo) - was not expensive and I don't regret it, no problems after 150000 km
    Last edited by P30; 09-16-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    The most expensive (non-car/house) single item I've ever purchased that I don't regret in the slightest was the engagement ring I bought for my wife 17 years ago. She puts up with my $hit, doesn't get uptight about my gun or bike purchases, and gave me two great kids.

On a less sentimental note, our 4Runner was kind of expensive for us when purchased, but we've owned it for 15 years now and it continues to go strong, even after mowing down a deer at 60-odd miles an hour!

Oh, and stability running shoes. "Discovering" those allowed me to find out that I *do* like running.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I tend to be frugal and like to think I have few vanities. However, I bought myself a Rolex for my 34th birthday to use as my "every day" watch. I'm now of Social Security age, but still wear that watch every day.

Site Supporter
    A purpose built commuter bike with hydraulic disk brakes and eyelets everywhere. Way more comfortable, stable, and secure than a road bike with rim pads, adapters for racks, broken parts, and showing up feeling exhausted and old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If vehicles count I'd have to say my almost new F-250 I bought in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Oh, and stability running shoes. "Discovering" those allowed me to find out that I *do* like running.
    I still don't like it, but it's much more bearable. I actually buy them in pairs (same model in different colors). One is a dedicated running pair, the other is for general casual wear. By this my chronic knee pain and shin splints went away and I can run further than a mile at a time without pain.

I retire them together, and they become workshop/yardwork shoes. They finally meet their end if/when I do a mud run or the next generation comes along.

Site Supporter
    When I was thirty or so, I decided to splurge on my grail watch, a Rolex Submariner. When I could not find one locally with the date (this was long enough ago that internet shopping was not a thing-not that I would buy a Rolex on line) the salesman suggested a Sea Dweller (basically a beefed up Submariner). The price difference was a few hundred but as soon as I put it on it was sold. I have not regretted it one day since, and now they go for three times what I paid.
    Polite Professional

My recent splurge was getting a Focus ST to pair up with my F-150. The 163" wheelbase was a PITA as a daily driver after my circumstance changed and I was simply commuting in it. I really wanted a car, but will always need a truck, so I kept the truck and bought a nice, but modest, performance car and have been ecstatic. I figure I could have a really nice car or a really nice truck, instead I have a nice car and a nice truck.

So, $25,000 for something I really didn't "need" but have NO regerts (Snickers ad joke...)

Vehicles are tricky as there are different tastes.

Would you guys spend more on a specific model of vehicle due to aesthetics or specific features?

Quote Originally Posted by T Smith View Post
    I tend to be frugal and like to think I have few vanities. However, I bought myself a Rolex for my 34th birthday to use as my "every day" watch. I'm now of Social Security age, but still wear that watch every day.
    Every man should have a solid time piece that's worth it's weight and lasts enough to pass on to your kids.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List