Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What is something expensive you don't regret buying?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I brought up my car, but probably more in line with this topic is my Aerostitch motorcycle riding gear. I have the two piece:
    http://www.aerostich.com/suits/two-p...iece-suit.html
    and bought it in about 2000 when they were only $800.
    Attachment 20067

I have never regretted buying this and have never met anybody that regretted buying theirs.
    I need one. Just kinda stuck on the I have a sportbike thing but the power ranger suit makes the most sense and is the easiest for all things.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Filson bags
    Dude. You just reminded me: my saddleback leather messenger bag. It didn't even enter my mind, because it's just such a part of my everyday existence. If ever there was something that was a significant upcharge over comparable options, it would be that bag, but I've abused that thing daily for 6 or 7 years and, aside from a replacement strap (free) it still looks and works great with no issues.

I don't regret paying a lot of money to adopt this guy...

Name:  IMG_2181.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  27.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2182.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2185.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  46.1 KB

Nor do I regret the components I spent way too much money using to build this:

Name:  18156962_10109506381372400_8472109640218871211_n.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  70.5 KB
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-17-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Fix image orientation

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_2310.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  102.5 KB

I bought a carbon frame gravel bike this spring. It's part of my plan to avoid an early heart attack- something that has plagued everyone in my mom's side of the family. I want to be around to see my twins grow up and improving my fitness is part of the plan. I've gone from struggling to make it out of my neighborhood to knocking out 50+ mile rides on the weekends and feel much better about my physical condition.
    Blantant plug: This bike is also part of my plan to raise money for Operation Secon Chance. In October I'll be riding a four day 310 mile from ride Pittsburgh,PA to Gaithersburg, MD as part of Ride Allegheny 2017. If anyone is interested in donating to this ride, please let me know and I'll send the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawls View Post

I bought a carbon frame gravel bike this spring. It's part of my plan to avoid an early heart attack- something that has plagued everyone in my mom's side of the family. I want to be around to see my twins grow up and improving my fitness is part of the plan. I've gone from struggling to make it out of my neighborhood to knocking out 50+ mile rides on the weekends and feel much better about my physical condition.
    Blantant plug: This bike is also part of my plan to raise money for Operation Secon Chance. In October I'll be riding a four day 310 mile from ride Pittsburgh,PA to Gaithersburg, MD as part of Ride Allegheny 2017. If anyone is interested in donating to this ride, please let me know and I'll send the details.
    Nice bike!

I'm riding the C&O from Cumberland to DC the week after your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Nor do I regret the components I spent way too much money using to build this:

Name:  18156962_10109506381372400_8472109640218871211_n.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  70.5 KB
    While I am a card-carrying dog lover (and yours looks great), I have to ask what the deal is with this^^^

I have an ever-growing collection of vinyl, but no record player, as of yet. I am looking for a stand alone option, because, nostalgic reasons.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Alienware Area-51 desktop. I was running a lot of virtual machines for school, and the thing chews them up and spits them out. Awesome: I don't regret a cent.

I'll definitely sink money into the little things you use all the time, but don't often pay much attention to. Oakleys have been mentioned before, and that's a great example. I'll never go back to Walmart sun glasses.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Nice bike!

I'm riding the C&O from Cumberland to DC the week after your ride.
    How many days are you breaking it up into? On one end of the spectrum is a local bike shop hosts a very posh fully supported/catered three day trip. On the other end are the iron-assed folks that chrush the whole trip in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawls View Post
    How many days are you breaking it up into? On one end of the spectrum is a local bike shop hosts a very posh fully supported/catered three day trip. On the other end are the iron-assed folks that chrush the whole trip in one day.
    I'm going to take it easy and do it in three days. I'm going solo and self-contained, but I'm going to plush out and stay in B&Bs or inns.

Enjoy your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    While I am a card-carrying dog lover (and yours looks great), I have to ask what the deal is with this^^^

I have an ever-growing collection of vinyl, but no record player, as of yet. I am looking for a stand alone option, because, nostalgic reasons.
    So, it is a 1950s vintage cabinet that originally had a ragged out mono tube-system in it that was beyond salvage. I bought it, originally thinking I could salvage the original system. After tearing into it, I couldn't find parts. So, I gutted the cabinet, refinished the whole thing and then pieced together a complete system to "restomod" the cabinet.

The turntable is a Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1600 automatic turn-table with a MMC 20CL cartridge and stylus.
    That feeds through a Turntable Lab phono-preamp to an actually relatively in-expensive 200w 2-channel T-Class mini-amplifier.
    And that feeds to a pair of 6" diameter carbon-fiber coned speakers, with a custom box mount and twin 4" carbon-fiber coned tweeters.
    Everything is wired with heavy-duty gold-plated cable.

The original intention for this setup was to do it up for resale. Then the first time I heard Coltrane pump through those speakers, I realized I could never part with it. Plus, I didn't think I'd ever recover the money I put into it. The Beogram set me back 3-bills in cost alone, plus another $100 in tuning and parts after I cleaned it (I got hosed on it).

If I had it to do over again, I think I would spring for one of the newer belt-driven turntables, a set of 8" speakers, and one of the new(er) hybrid tube mini-amps that are capable of about 300 watts without heating up significantly. Plus the tubes really do give a different and warmer sound. There have been some amazingly good turntables, amps, and great bookshelf-style speakers come out on the market in the last 3-years, since I completed this build.

User Tag List