Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is something expensive you don't regret buying?

What is something expensive you don't regret buying?

We all do research on products and there are lots of random rules we have heard about "buy the last tool you'll need first" and stuff like that.

What is an item (can be a gun/part) that you purchased after doing research and decided to spend a little extra to get a "better model" and either still have and/or were completely happy with it without reservations or regrets?

Two from me - Sony TV's. I've owned a Sony TV for as long as I can remember (in the US) and have never had an issue, problem or anything even remotely close to bad quality. They usually cost a little extra but well worth it for the quality.

Shoes/boots. Now a days I buy mainly Salomon but they aren't cheap and I don't care as they are not as hard on my feet as others, even after long days.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Stability running shoes... my joints thank me every day

Deluxe models of my last two cars

Fancy quiet LG dishwasher

One thing I'm glad I went cheaper on: my current phone. Got sick of the Samsung BS and got a Motorola.

I just dropped a stupid amount of $$ into a bolt action precision rifle - my only regret is the $$ wasted previously attempting to get the same results spending less.

I suspect like everyone else here, my desire for high quality/custom firearms far exceeds my ability to pay. That said, I would rather have a limited number of quality guns vs. a large collection of mediocre stuff.

For most other consumer items, I generally prefer paying a bit more for quality over going as cheap as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    Stability running shoes... my joints thank me every day

Deluxe models of my last two cars

Fancy quiet LG dishwasher

One thing I'm glad I went cheaper on: my current phone. Got sick of the Samsung BS and got a Motorola.
    Which version Motorola? That new Motorola with the fancy attachments is a step in the right direction.

And I agree Samsungs bloatware is meh.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I just dropped a stupid amount of $$ into a bolt action precision rifle - my only regret is the $$ wasted previously attempting to get the same results spending less.

I suspect like everyone else here, my desire for high quality/custom firearms far exceeds my ability to pay. That said, I would rather have a limited number of quality guns vs. a large collection of mediocre stuff.

For most other consumer items, I generally prefer paying a bit more for quality over going as cheap as possible.
    I think that those who are looking for a specific result usually start cheap to get reps on a rifle, especially a precision setup. I agree that we usually don't have the funds to get the setup we want but eventually spend more than on one setup trying to make it into a more expensive one. Smart game would have been to either spend the money for the better setup and learn up to it or saving for it.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Which version Motorola? That new Motorola with the fancy attachments is a step in the right direction.
    G5 Plus. It's dual-band capable, can take a micro SD card, and the bootloader is unlockable through the manufacturer (I root everything*). My S6 was finally pissing me off enough.

* primarily I want to be able to turn the GPS off/on with Tasker, and run an adblocker.

My wife and I bought our first new car at the end of last school year. Not really rolling in the dough, and with 3 special needs kids 4 (twins) and 6 years old we knew it had to be a good size, but were sick of shitty minivans. We were about to settle on some Kia, but after looking at them and then checking out Hyundai, we went with Hyundai, even though its a couple Ks more. Better warranty, better track record (or so it seemed; still does to me) and overall we are very happy with it. She's friends with someone who has the '15 model Kia that we would've gotten the '17 of, and hers had a lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    G5 Plus. It's dual-band capable, can take a micro SD card, and the bootloader is unlockable through the manufacturer (I root everything*). My S6 was finally pissing me off enough.

* primarily I want to be able to turn the GPS off/on with Tasker, and run an adblocker.
    Pixel...or pixel 2 which comes out soon...
    VDMSR.com

Site Supporter
    My wife is frugal with her money. Last year she bought a Ford Escape because it was cheap. She never liked it. She bought a new toyota 4 runner this year. She loves it. I kicked in 10 grand to soothe her budget anxiety. It was worth every penny. I wish she had bought a 4 runner first.
    My 10-8 Springfield 1911s. Every time I use one I'm glad I bought them.
    My mystery engraved colt 1911. Don't know who did it but it's beautiful, life is too short for ugly guns every day
    Last edited by Poconnor; 09-16-2017 at 07:33 AM.

What is something expensive you don't regret buying?

Salomom trail shoes and hiking boots, Brooks running shoes, and I'm looking at getting a pair of Lucchesse boots to replace my beat up and aging pair of Dan Post. I've also recently purchased two hand-made fixed blade knives, and I carry two Emerson CQC-7 folding knives. I also got the 128G iPhone 7 Plus bc I like the extra space for music and pictures, etc. I do search for good prices, but I'm not afraid to spend a little more to get the quality I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GCBHM; 09-16-2017 at 07:44 AM.

When my iPad Air bricked I went with a Pro 10.5 instead of the standard iPad. While it would have been fine, if iOS 11 truly allows computer like functionality in an iPad package I wanted to be ready.

User Tag List