Thread: GP100 trade-ins, .38 SPL 4" blue

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

GP100 trade-ins, .38 SPL 4" blue

Auction only says 1 available, but the description implies there are more.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/694971564

Seller's web site is listed, so you could call them if you want.

Should be pretty soft shooting and last 1000 years. Heck of a way to get into the revolver game if you're not yet.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Auction only says 1 available, but the description implies there are more.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/694971564

Seller's web site is listed, so you could call them if you want.

Should be pretty soft shooting and last 1000 years. Heck of a way to get into the revolver game if you're not yet.

Extremely tempting. Any ideas where these came from? Security company?

I picked one of these up from the used section at Gander Mountain about a year ago.

As much as I would have preferred the .357 (because: reasons), it's turned out to be perfect for my needs: Introducing myself and friends to revolvers.

It's a solid, fun little blaster.
    Last edited by David S.; 09-16-2017 at 09:54 AM.
    David S.

Looks like they've got the compact letts, or whatever the rounded Ruger grip is cslled. Bob that hammer, and drive on in late 80's NYPD style.

My guess would be former security company (most likely) or police department issue guns. While for me the short-shroud GP100 are slightly more preferable for .38 Special use (the guns are massive enough with the short shroud to nicely absorb any .38 Special/.38 Special +P recoil forces), these full-shroud pieces are excellent in their own right.

My understanding is that there are some advantages to the firing pin set-up on these older GPs compared to the current ones. However, the older ones are also far more likely to have much heavier mainsprings and trigger return springs, but that's easily ameliorated with a call to Wolff or Wilson Combat.

The fixed-sights on these guns tend to be regulated for 158 gr cartridges in my experience. If you're looking for a fixed-sight GP with a tad more sight options/tunability, a GP100 Match Champion might be preferable. Otherwise, the sights and rear sight channels on these fixed-sight GPs are decently usable as they come.

And, if you predominantly shoot .38 Special cartridges anyhow, these purpose-chambered .38 Special GPs preclude having to worry about carbon/GSR build-up in the foward portion of the cylinder chamber that exists when firing .38s in a .357 chambered gun.

The OEM Ruger/Lett Compact Grips that these GPs come with are absolutely superb grips, providing excellent control, full-hand-grippability, and concealment features. While they're now available from Ruger directly at their www.shopruger.com site as an after-market option, it's nice they come with these GPs.

With a decent cartridge paring, especially with a .38 Special +P, these would make a very acceptable nightstand, IDPA Stock Service Revolver, or urban carry choice. For wilderness use, I'd prefer a .357 Magnum (and one preferably in stainless steel), although there are some credible .38 Special Buffalo Bore cartridges (and probably others) that could be do-able in this exceptionally strong gun for woods/wilderness applications.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-16-2017 at 04:52 PM.

GP100 trade-ins, .38 SPL 4" blue

Were there ever any of these are with adjustable sights?

JR1572
    Last edited by JR1572; 09-16-2017 at 05:43 PM.

I'd have to check my old Ruger SKUs, but I don't believe there were; I'm pretty certain that the adjustable sight full-shroud GP100 models were only .38/.357 magnum.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-16-2017 at 06:08 PM.

I checked some of my old period Ruger catalogs; the normal SKU for a .38 Special was a short-shrouded, fixed-sight, compact-gripped stainless GP100, which makes eminent sense, However, in my Ruger Law Enforcement Catalog, they do specify that they'll make any GP100 configuration available in .38 Special only, so anything's possible, although there may have been a minimal order amount to drive actual production. I still suspect that the blued full-shroud .38 GP100 is a security firm contract special order, but that's my SWAG.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-17-2017 at 12:13 PM.

User Tag List