Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W -- "hard to sell right now"

Just did a Walmart.com search

Federal Champion FMJ 9mm $18.97 box of 100
    Federal Champion FMJ 40 S&W $32.37 box of 100

I will admit that I have been giving a lot of thought to a Gen 4 G22 from Recoil gun works for $350 or a $300 M&P40 trade in. I took some pistols to the range today and I shot my M&P45 better than either my .40 or .45 Glocks. But the Glocks were gen 2 and 3 respectively. I'd probably shoot the M&P better but I already have all the gear for the Glock. I should just buy both.

Just looked up brass case FMJ by the 1000 with one of the online ammo sites.....9mm $173.....40SW $199......45acp $233. Brass prices have gone up on the 357Sig but not long ago this round was the cheapest if reloaded , cheap brass and 9mm bullets.

Edit....I was also in a Rangemaster class with Yeager once. The sights fell off his pistol during the 2 day course.
    Last edited by Patrick Taylor; 09-17-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Just looked up brass case FMJ by the 1000 with one of the online ammo sites.....9mm $173.....40SW $199......45acp $233. Brass prices have gone up on the 357Sig but not long ago this round was the cheapest if reloaded , cheap brass and 9mm bullets.

Edit....I was also in a Rangemaster class with Yeager once. The sights fell off his pistol during the 2 day course.
    Did he have a spare gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    For me, I went with the M&Ps for the .40 platform. Been very happy with them.
    The M&P 40's for whatever reason are selling cheaper than the Glock 22/23's that are flooding the market. They are probably the best bang for your buck deal going right now IMO. I've seen them going for 265 -300 range if you catch a decent sale. I have my FFL and am on the email list for Keislers which takes in a ton of LE trades. 90% of their used gun list they send to dealers are 40 S&W with Sig 226/229's probably being the worst seller. Last email they sent was probably close to a thousand in stock and many were DAK triggers. I cant see them offloading them until they start pricing them inline with the polymer framed pd trade in's.

In 20 years the classic sigs will be like S&W revolvers are now. Probably not just Sigs but any full size metal frame duty weapon.

At the Cabela's I inhabit on weekends new .40 caliber pistols still sell reasonably well. Of near as well as a few years ago, but well enough. WRT used .40's regardless of brand or model or condition, if it isn't less than $300 it is going to have a few birthday parties in the display case.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Did he have a spare gun?
    He said he was testing the pistol and would leave the line to work on it at his truck. He also said bad ammo caused his problems???? If he did not treat people on his forum the way he did for the same things I would have not paid any attention. I took one class at his place and that was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post

That's poetically hilarious because if you've ever watched his XS Big Dots sight installation video, you'd know that he literally slathers a semi-truck load of red loctite all over those sights so that they don't do that.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb
    Does anyone have experience with loading .40 down to 9mm muzzle energy levels and using a lighter recoil spring?
    My experience is that 135 grain handloads are remarkably soft shooting. I think that it's because the bullet weight is on par with a 9mm, but has a larger area to push against (10mm), so for the same velocity you'll get less of a pressure spike due to the increased case volume and area of the bullet base.

I'm probably off on the physics of it, but I really, really like 135 grain .40's.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    That's poetically hilarious because if you've ever watched his XS Big Dots sight installation video, you'd know that he literally slathers a semi-truck load of red loctite all over those sights so that they don't do that.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Red Loctite is for fasteners only, not press fit assemblies...

User Tag List