Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't understand. Shooting straight Left. No up or down just Left.

Just reiterating this because I've actually been there, done that, and actually still occasionally suffer from this, make sure your initial index of the pistol in your firing master grip is correct and in-line with your arm.

Yes, I've even had this happen with multiple different types of pistols on the same shooting day. If how you perceive gripping a pistol is correct, but is actually wrong, you'll consistently do it wrong.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    I am right handed and I shoot perfectly good pistols to the left. It is me, a failure in my technique, most likely trigger pull. I work on this all the time. I get my shooting partner to confirm zero on a pistol before I ever tweak a sight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Was your wife having the same results?
    My wife is a begining shooter, she's generally all over the target. She's not a good metric. I'm not going to touch the sighted until I get a chance to let a friend of mine try the guns.

What I'm really not understanding is how I was getting the same WRONG POI with both guns

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Just reiterating this because I've actually been there, done that, and actually still occasionally suffer from this, make sure your initial index of the pistol in your firing master grip is correct and in-line with your arm.

Yes, I've even had this happen with multiple different types of pistols on the same shooting day. If how you perceive gripping a pistol is correct, but is actually wrong, you'll consistently do it wrong.

Could you post a picture of what you mean please?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Could you post a picture of what you mean please?
    Busy weekend this weekend, but I'll see what I can do. The difference can be subtle.

Same thing has been happening to me for a while. I have about 3k through my G19 but can't seem to get rounds on target where I want them. I shoot about an inch left of where I'm aiming. Ive had my LGS bore sight my gun and even had a couple guys shoot it. They had no issues shooting it so its me. Just have to figure out what I'm doing. Actually going to get some training in the next couple days so hopefully that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    make sure your initial index of the pistol in your firing master grip is correct and in-line with your arm.
    My hand is too small to have the gun in line with my arm, and I wear size M gloves.

Banned
    I have also noticed that I sometimes hold the gun such that if the sights being straight up and down is 90 degrees the way I hold it the front sight is 85(ish) degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    As a noob myself, take this with a grain of salt: at my last class, Tom Givens suggested I was steering the frame with the inside of my trigger finger.

He suggested I add a little space by moving my finger out a bit. It worked for me.
    Actually Rich, I agree a ton with this (keep in mind I'm no shooting superhero either). Try this: look at your trigger finger when it's extended straight, and watch the "muscle belly" on the inside of that finger as you curl the finger like you were pulling a trigger. See that bulge happen on the inside of the section closest to the palm? That'll consistently happen every time. If that is up against the frame, it'll consistently push the muzzle away from it (left for a righty, right for a lefty).

So, if this is happening, and you sink the trigger finger in further on the trigger, it'll probably stay the same or maybe get worse. Use less finger on the trigger, and you move that meat away from the frame and the problem can go away. Note I said can, not will. If you get the trigger finger out far enough that you start pushing on the side of the trigger while it's pulled rearward, the problem may not go away.
    Last edited by Jared; 09-18-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    My hand is too small to have the gun in line with my arm, and I wear size M gloves.
    That's an issue that I sometimes fight too. I wear M to L gloves (depending on who makes them and how much extra room I have in the fingertips) and I've settled on running my Gen4 G19 with no backstrap additions.

If I run a Gen3 19 or a Gen4 19 with a M backstrap, I can sometimes index just right and not get enough finger on the trigger to depress the trigger safety. If I index the other way, I'll be slightly left, but at least I can make mostly reasonable COM hits out to 25 yds.

User Tag List