Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't understand. Shooting straight Left. No up or down just Left.

Banned

Don't understand. Shooting straight Left. No up or down just Left.

I went to the range today with my wife I shot my Glock 19 & my M&P 9. I wasn't drawing or moving I was just shooting.

With both handguns I was firing right on target at 7 yards but approximately 2.5 inches to the Left at 15 yards. Not low and left or high and left just straight left. With both handguns my point of impact was the same. The group size was good it was just 2.5 inches to the left (center of the group).

The only conclusion I can come up with is that what ever I was doing wrong I was doing it wrong exactly the same way every single time.

I don't think I should try to change anything unless this repeats.

Shooting Right handed
    Last edited by Cypher; 09-15-2017 at 07:20 PM.

I see this a lot with Glock triggers. I generally suggest putting more finger in the trigger and focusing on pulling straight to the rear. It works 80% of the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Make sure you're indexing the pistol correctly with the strong hand. Most likely the pistol isn't naturally lined up with your arm.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

As a noob myself, take this with a grain of salt: at my last class, Tom Givens suggested I was steering the frame with the inside of my trigger finger.

He suggested I add a little space by moving my finger out a bit. It worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I went to the range today with my wife I shot my Glock 19 & my M&P 9. I wasn't drawing or moving I was just shooting.

With both handguns I was firing right on target at 7 yards but approximately 2.5 inches to the Left at 15 yards. Not low and left or high and left just straight left. With both handguns my point of impact was the same. The group size was good it was just 2.5 inches to the left (center of the group).

The only conclusion I can come up with is that what ever I was doing wrong I was doing it wrong exactly the same way every single time.
    Probably highly unlikely that both handguns have identically misaligned sights.

Doing it wrong the same way every time sounds improbable but I won't say impossible. What type of range? Indoor or outdoor? Where was the light/sun coming from. How you perceive your sights can vary based on lighting and shadows. Mike Pannone discusses sight perception here:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    What type of range? Indoor or outdoor? Where was the light/sun coming from.
    Outdoor range right about noon, I was soothing from under a roof so I was under consistent lighting conditions.

I'm not going to get too wrapped around the axel unless I see a consistent repetition

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Probably highly unlikely that both handguns have identically misaligned sights.

Doing it wrong the same way every time sounds improbable but I won't say impossible. What type of range? Indoor or outdoor? Where was the light/sun coming from. How you perceive your sights can vary based on lighting and shadows. Mike Pannone discusses sight perception here:

That is an excellent video. I took a carbine class from Panone and he mentioned how light shining from different directions will effect how we perceive our sights, but not in such detail. There's a ton of good info in that 15 min video.

OP - are you using a different load? I notice small POI shifts with different ammo. Additionally, do you see any movement in your sights during dry fire, say during the Wall Drill? I sometimes get errors creeping into my shooting, and I have to go back to dry fire to diagnosis.

Before you do anything, get someone you know shoots accurately to shoot both of those guns at the same distance and with the same ammo.

If they shoot them accurately it's you.

If they are hitting same place, or roundabout same place, it's the sights.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Was your wife having the same results?

User Tag List