Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle tool kit

Site Supporter
    While it wasn't much fun, I've successfully inflated a mostly flat and plugged truck tire with a bicycle floor pump. It was work, but it took less time than I thought it would.

Great thread.
    RE: the Harbor Freight air compressors that plug into the cigarette lighters, read the directions for use on those. There is a specific order of operation for plugging it in and turning it on. If you get the sequence out of order, you *will* blow the fuse, and then - no air. Oh, and spare fuses might be handy.

ETA: I have considered, and probably now will, clipping off the cigarette light plug and throwing some alligator clips on there along with additional wire so I can connect directly to the battery and side-step the fuse thing.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 09-20-2017 at 06:31 AM.

I've fixed a whole lot of cars on the job that had been involved in minor collisions. Aside from tools, I always like to carry things for rough body work on the side of the road. Most cars have a lot of plastic on the front and back of them and I have found three items vital for fixing/removing said body parts.

1. Leatherman with a serrated blade for cutting away bumpers and such.
    2. Gorilla tape. I have taped up all sorts of bumpers and other parts and that stuff holds great.
    3. 550/paracord. If I couldn't cut through it or tape it, and there were pre-drilled holes available, paracord would work wonders tying things back together again.

I have a small set of sockets/ratchet that I carry in the patrol car and that has come in handy for roadside assistance. Jumper cables and a good four way lug wrench are essential items as well. All my personal vehicles also have led flashlights with lithium batteries that don't leak right next to a tire pressure gauge/dial.

Large roll of paper towels with hand sanitizer in all of them as well. We keep clean cars so after some roadside work, I like to have something to clean up with. And since I never work on anything without busting a knuckle, I always have a small first aid kit to fix boo boos. Rain pancho is like gold too if it's pouring down rain........and it always is when I have to work on something in the crash lane.

21 years of LE has afforded me the opportunity to work on all sorts of cars/trucks over the years to help those stranded and tool-less.

Regards.

maybe I just need one of these...
    https://www.protoolreviews.com/toolb...ackpack/32640/

In all seriousness, thanks for the discussion everyone. I should probably clarify that I mean for this toolkit to be in-vehicle but meant for tasks other than just roadside assistance, such as working on/at the inlaws house.

The first thing I've arrived at as a must have is the Megapro 211R1C36RD 1-Inch 13-In-1 Ratcheting Automotive Driver Bits. This version takes standard bits vs the double-ended bits of the non-automotive version I keep in my kitchen drawer. By allowing for standard bit I can also grab a set of bits and be able to tackle basically any sort of fastener.

Beyond that, I'm thinking (some of which I already have):
    Mini screwdriver

• Hammer
    • Adjustable wrench
    • Channellock pliers
    • Dikes
    • Small ratchet set (imperial and metric sockets)
    • Duct tape (even though I know it will get gummy)
    • 550 Cord
    • Actual real rope (550 ain't rope)
    • Ratchet straps
    • Jumper cables
    • Mechanix Gloves
    • Cold Steel shovel

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    • Dikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Williams
    it's women in comfortable shoes.
    David S.

Forgot the rope.....I have two sections of 100 foot rope in the patrol SUV. Haven't had to use either yet.

If relegated to vehicle use the Veto's heavier weight isn't an issue. Klein, Milwaukee and knockoff tool backpacks are as well but at a lesser price.

One more recommendation on the Ridgid boxes and storage totes and I'll shut up. Can keep cheap tool organizer bag, compressor and jumper cables in one box. Easily move out of way, easy transfer to another vehicle. Recovery stuff in another tote.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Forgot the rope.....I have two sections of 100 foot rope in the patrol SUV. Haven't had to use either yet.
    Toss them out and see if the god of shitty days, some people call him Murphy, is watching.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    maybe I just need one of these...
    https://www.protoolreviews.com/toolb...ackpack/32640/

In all seriousness, thanks for the discussion everyone. I should probably clarify that I mean for this toolkit to be in-vehicle but meant for tasks other than just roadside assistance, such as working on/at the inlaws house.

The first thing I've arrived at as a must have is the Megapro 211R1C36RD 1-Inch 13-In-1 Ratcheting Automotive Driver Bits. This version takes standard bits vs the double-ended bits of the non-automotive version I keep in my kitchen drawer. By allowing for standard bit I can also grab a set of bits and be able to tackle basically any sort of fastener.

Beyond that, I'm thinking (some of which I already have):
    Mini screwdriver

• Hammer
    • Adjustable wrench
    • Channellock pliers
    • Dikes
    • Small ratchet set (imperial and metric sockets)
    • Duct tape (even though I know it will get gummy)
    • 550 Cord
    • Actual real rope (550 ain't rope)
    • Ratchet straps
    • Jumper cables
    • Mechanix Gloves
    • Cold Steel shovel
    Ive done general light maintenance apart from building, including plumbing, electrical, drywall repair, door jambs and whatever. I could usually get most small chores done with little in the way of tools in hand, but a few special ones helped tremendously in the rare times they were needed. One in particular is a basin nut wrench to get to the water lines jammed way up behind sinks. I took a pic of the stuff thats usually in my truck all the time, and it has the basics of what was usually enough for small repairs or maintenance on the small apartment building I took care of and private houses. Id take the small leather tool bag along and grab what was most likely to be needed, it make it simple to keep track of stuff and get it where it was needed. A 2 gallon bucket can also be really handy for tools and materials on small repairs or chores.

Your list is pretty good. The pic may give some more ideas. The basin nut wrench is the weird red tool in the upper left. May only need it every couple years, but saves huge amount of aggravation. I have adapters to use 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets with the screw gun. Very handy at times. Missing in the pic is the little 5 compartment clear tackle box of various size drywall screws. I kept spare driver tips in with it also, besides the various tips in different boxes and in the front of the grip. Phillips and T25 were most used to lived in the gun tip and handle. The pistol lanyard is pretty handy when on ladders or whatever and you need both hands free at times yet your (screw)gun handy.

Edit: Didnt realize how bad the picture was until I posted it. My cell doesnt have a very good camera. Apologies.

Name:  Tools.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  73.1 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-21-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Thanks for the reminder that just because we can doesn't mean we should, and you're right we shouldn't.
    I didn't mean to direct that at you. I was venting at the number of idiots that are perfectly comfortable with placing the value of a wheel over human life, or don't know that they can drive on a flat tire.

Bolt cutter are useful in areas where tire chains are used, especially along commercial vehicle routes. Wrap one around an axle or drive shaft and you're not going anywhere until it's off.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List