Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Vehicle tool kit

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    maybe I just need one of these...
    https://www.protoolreviews.com/toolb...ackpack/32640/

In all seriousness, thanks for the discussion everyone. I should probably clarify that I mean for this toolkit to be in-vehicle but meant for tasks other than just roadside assistance, such as working on/at the inlaws house.

The first thing I've arrived at as a must have is the Megapro 211R1C36RD 1-Inch 13-In-1 Ratcheting Automotive Driver Bits. This version takes standard bits vs the double-ended bits of the non-automotive version I keep in my kitchen drawer. By allowing for standard bit I can also grab a set of bits and be able to tackle basically any sort of fastener.

Beyond that, I'm thinking (some of which I already have):
    Mini screwdriver

• Hammer
    • Adjustable wrench
    • Channellock pliers
    • Dikes
    • Small ratchet set (imperial and metric sockets)
    • Duct tape (even though I know it will get gummy)
    • 550 Cord
    • Actual real rope (550 ain't rope)
    • Ratchet straps
    • Jumper cables
    • Mechanix Gloves
    • Cold Steel shovel
    I don't know what "dikes" means in this context

This plus more pliers, a couple of pry bars, hose clamps of various sizes, spare fuses, 14g and 12g wire, about a hundred 12" zipties and both brass and steel wire is pretty much what lives on my boat. Oh, also some sandpaper of various types, mostly for cleaning up electrical contacts if necessary. There's other stuff in my repair bag but unless you're afraid you'll drive into a log and then prevent your truck from sinking, I think that's almost everything that applies.

Well, I guess maybe this might still apply: I keep a tarp with lines already run off the eyelets on hand. For me it's an emergency hole patch which at first I thought would only apply to water travel but it suddenly occurs to me that if you live in stormsville you could absolutely find yourself suddenly needing to cover a surprise opening, say an in-laws' skylight, and having lines already tied on would probably speed up the process of covering a debris-smashed picture window or whatever.

Anyway I will say that on a semi-regular basis I'm in conditions that would be extremely dangerous (like radio for immediate rescue and pray for sufficiently timely response dangerous) if I couldn't keep at least one engine running and if I'm down to my backup motor it would still be...wildly unpleasant. And I've spent a lot of time working on all the mechanical systems on my boat, which are a mix of Ford and Volvo Penta from about 1980, and current Mercury stuff. But so far I haven't run into any realistic surprise issues which can't be handled with the above tools.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Wire cutters. I learned that one a couple years ago, no idea how that came about.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers
    Last edited by rob_s; 09-22-2017 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Wire cutters. I learned that one a couple years ago, no idea how that came about.
    Diags or Dikes (a portmanteau of "Diagonal CutterS" is pronounced "dikes"
    Last edited by rob_s; 09-22-2017 at 05:50 AM.

Anyone have a good solution for a lightweight off road capable jack for a truck? I've been googling but can decide whether or not to go with an aluminum floor jack or a bottle jack. I've used the high lift jacks but in my experience they only work if you have jackpoints out on the edges of the vehicle which I don't.

well shit I posted this in the wrong thread...
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-04-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    I moved my reply to your proper thread also.
    Last edited by Welder; 06-04-2020 at 08:52 AM.

What I *did* mean to post in this thread...

I did finally arrive at a kit, which I think I posted about but now don't see, which I'm about to re-create for the wife's car. The contents of the new kit are shaping up as
    TEKTON 25282 Long Arm Ball End Hex Key Wrench Set, Inch/Metric with TEKTON 25291 Star Key Set
    TEKTON Pliers Set, 6-Piece | PLR99020
    Maxcraft 60609 7-In-1 Precision Pocket Screwdriver
    MegaPro 211R1C36RD 1" 13-In-1 Ratcheting Automotive Driver Bits in Red

This:

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CTK1...1287153&sr=8-1

Since I often go off road for which mudding is required, a come-along, tow strap & shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    This:

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CTK1...1287153&sr=8-1

Since I often go off road for which mudding is required, a come-along, tow strap & shovel.
    that's not a bad kit. I think for my current purposes of outfitting the wife's car (a) that size case will not be tolerated (lol) and (b) the sockets themselves might be overkill.

That said, I might be able to put that kit in my truck, and hide my current bagged-kit in the wife's car

User Tag List