Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle tool kit

Vehicle tool kit

I've carried various tool kits and boxes in my vehicles over the years, but oddly find myself without one in my current truck. When I was young and broke the tool kit was a necessity to stay on the road but as my lot has improved so have my vehicles and as such I haven't found the tool kit to be as much of a requirement. Frankly, there hasn't been a whole lot I couldn't get done with one of my Leatherman tools and/or the demolition hammer under the seat, but I seem to find myself more and more often wanting things like a ratchet in various situations. It's not that the Leatherman won't do the job, it's just that having some better tools would make it easier, and provided that the tolls aren't taking up any real space in the truck, why not?

I'm largely considering just hitting the Home Depot or Lowes and getting one of their package kits, but as must as for the sake of discussion as anything I'm curious what folks think are the minimum requirements, and what you carry in your vehicle.

I'm thinking I'd like to be able to do minor emergency repairs on the truck but also be able to do things like make repairs at the in-laws when I'm there, or a vacation rental, etc. Also some amount of outdoorsing type tinkering (whatever that means).

For example, I have no expectation of this being top shelf
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Hous...Case/999957735
    Last edited by rob_s; 09-15-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Craftsman 230-Piece Silver Finish Standard Metric Mechanics Tool Set 230 pc #165 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MD1LXBL..._lKbVzb5KXD5Q0
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Nice thread! I've got a small bag of things, but would like to incorporate a better system. I've seen a system posted to Facebook, but I think that would make an attractive target for wouldbe thieves. One guy I knew back in the day bought a cheap set for a truck box, which I thought was smart bc if they are stolen you're not out much. Then again, insurance would play a part in restoring what was stolen. Food for thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These days, I have an 8" Crescent Wrench and one of these:

Picquic X-7 SixPac Plus Multi-bit Screwdriver (Assorted Colors) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018IV8WM..._K-bVzbR4PEVKP

Oh, and a roll of 1" Gorilla tape.

Pretty decent vid on this.

I carry similar stuff

Also these work great for radiator/heater/fuel/brake hose stuff. There are multiple types by diff brands. Clamps are awesome for any spring clamp. And the pinch works great to block off hoses or lines to lose less fluid and not damage hose or lines

Got to be able to see. I think mine came from an auto parts store. https://www.amazon.com/Bayco-SL-512-...12v+work+light

Also in my truck:
    big Mag Lite
    20oz claw hammer
    adjustable wrench
    large channel lock pliers
    screwdriver
    folding camp shovel
    duct tape
    gloves

Other than tire changes I haven't had to work on a car in years. Mainly this stuff is for the range and hunting stands or feeders.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I actually have this in the 6-year old Mazda: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Stu...CSTS/300117122 - It fits in a slim little plastic case that keeps everything organized and doesn't rattle. It's about the side of an iPad when stored.

Plus a hammer.
    Plus a Gerber multi-tool.

This set has worked for all minor repairs I've needed to make on the car.

I have something slightly more extensive in the 60-year old British car...but it requires more...repair...than a 5-6 year old car does.

ETA: Oh and for a flashlight - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cat-CT100...&wl13=&veh=sem

I've found NOTHING better than these angled LED floods with magnets. They are pocket sized, stick, stand, and can be rotated. I use them in the garage for straight up working on the car. They get in the way less than a drop light.

And of course duct tape and a few rags, because that stuff is invaluable.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-15-2017 at 02:21 PM.

My work truck has an air compressor and enough tools to take apart a tractor or small dozer.

That truck is a 2012 GMC. My other truck is a 2011 F150. If anything happens other than a flat tire or a broken belt, it's probably takin' a ride on the hook. Without diagnostic capability, you ain't fixin' much on these.

I grew up poor and fixing vehicles. Growing up that way + having a hard tonneau cover means my truck gets filled with tools. If not for me then for friends and good co-workers.

I flippin hate cheap tools. From off the top of my head:

Gloves, surplus euro mil long sleeve shirt, cardboard to kneel or lay on
    ~60pc socket set + compact lug nut socket set (awesome with makita cordless 1/2 impact), good 4-way lug wrench
    Small 2 ton hydraulic floor jack + blocking in the form of short 2x4s, 4x4s
    Generic hand tool bag; channellocks, multi-meter, etc.
    Recovery stuff; hi-lift jack + kit, recovery straps, receiver clevis/shackle, shovels, 50' chain
    Basic vehicle fluids
    Decent jumper cables, Viair compressor, wheel chock
    Truck service manual in PDF form on laptop and tablet. Would be best if on my phones... hmm, need to rectify that.

That said, I've had 12yrs/180k on the Tundra and only replaced signal lamps, shifter bushing and u-joints. I'm doing the clutch next. Never pass up an opportunity to add tools...

Just remembered one of the 3-gun guys from Minnesota (IIRC) left a Texas match with a pair of my vise grips pinching off his Crown Vic's rear brake line...

You might be surprised what electronic basics you can troubleshoot with a decent reference.

User Tag List