Page 24 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wilson Beretta -- Centurion Tactical

Site Supporter
    For what it's worth, the Type-M grip frame is measurably thinner than the standard frame. I just searched another forum where I thought I'd posted a photo with a micrometer taking comparative measurements, but couldn't find it...
    Suffice it to say that the frame is thinner, and with the thin rubber grip panels (from Farrar, for example), there is a noticeable difference in thickness in the hand. It makes a significant difference for my wife's small hands, and even more so with a short-reach trigger.

Quick measurement: (plastic factory grips)

Regular Compact - 1.375 wide just above the bottom grip screw. 1.385 just below the top grip screw.
    Compact Type M - 1.275 wide just above the bottom grip screw. 1.270 just below the top grip screw.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stony Lane View Post
    Quick measurement: (plastic factory grips)

Regular Compact - 1.375 wide just above the bottom grip screw. 1.385 just below the top grip screw.
    Compact Type M - 1.275 wide just above the bottom grip screw. 1.270 just below the top grip screw.
    Cool. Thanks a lot. Are the Type-M grips thicker than the regular compact grips? Like, is that what's overcompensating for the narrower frame?

If the grips are the same, and that's the only difference... I too have a hard time believing it's going to make enough of a difference in feel (or concealability) to justify losing 5 rounds. In which case, I will officially retract my interest in the Type-M.

Mostly...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Me and the 3 other people in the world wishing for DAO, are weeping also.

That will will teach the four of you to stop wanting things that are just wrong
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

There's just something about a 92D Centurion that makes DAO just so right.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I’m doubting that it would be a Type M, but I imagine that if they did ever go that route then VZ/WC would come out with some G10 grips that take advantage of the thinner frame.

Beretta has a history of putting thick grips on their single stack guns that make them feel like double stacks.

Ooohhhh, for some reason this makes me wonder if the next WC Beretta could be based on one of the 81 Series guns? Just imagine a Modernized WC 84 or 85!

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    I’m doubting that it would be a Type M, but I imagine that if they did ever go that route then VZ/WC would come out with some G10 grips that take advantage of the thinner frame.

Beretta has a history of putting thick grips on their single stack guns that make them feel like double stacks.

Ooohhhh, for some reason this makes me wonder if the next WC Beretta could be based on one of the 81 Series guns? Just imagine a Modernized WC 84 or 85!
    I got rid of my Type M long time ago, but if I recall correctly, there is a limit to how thin you can make the right side grip panel due to the external trigger bar. Beretta probably just wanted to keep it uniform, but there is no reason the left panel couldn't be much thinner.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I got rid of my Type M long time ago, but if I recall correctly, there is a limit to how thin you can make the right side grip panel due to the external trigger bar. Beretta probably just wanted to keep it uniform, but there is no reason the left panel couldn't be much thinner.
    Interesting.

I had a 92FS Compact L Type M for a couple of years, with OEM Trijicon sights. It was a beautifully made gun, but, at the end of the day, a gun desperately searching for a niche. It simply wasn't essentially thinner (I suspect that my current 92D with ultra thin Trausch grips is actually substantially thinner...), the DA/SA triggerpull was nice, but a bit heavy, so there was a more pronounced DA/SA transition, and the gun had fairly sharp tang points on the backstrap which really could jab into your side. At the time, I concurrently has a Walther P5, P5C, HK P7 PSP, and a SIG-Sauer P225; although I had an excellent Kramer horsehide IWB for the Beretta, it simply never got carried or used all that much. When DoD was looking for a compact pistol subsequent to the XM9/XM10 trials, the SIG-Sauer P228 was adopted with pretty much no murmurs of dissatisfaction or discontent, despite the platform commonality the Compact L or Compact L Type M offered with the M9/M9A1.

Today, Type M's are pretty scarce, and spare magazines for them even more so. Its not that they're "bad" guns, but hard to justify objectively against what's currently available in the compact semi-auto niche. For example, a Glock 19 is lighter, more weather impervious, carries significantly more rounds, is more comfortable to carry, and is less expensive, and has fewer components....unless you're a die-hard Beretta 92 aficionado, that's kinda tough to beat...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-25-2017 at 12:11 PM.

They needed a type M to compete with the P225.
    Last edited by GJM; 09-25-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Spell better
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List