Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I travel in the Northeast with a firearm? (DC vacation planned)

Can I travel in the Northeast with a firearm? (DC vacation planned)

Ladies and Gents in the Northeast.

My family and I will be driving from Louisiana to DC for vacation this fall. We have hotel stays in New Jersey, Virginia, and D.C. Will be driving through Maryland as well but no overnight stay.

I understand that once we hit these areas concealed carry is out of the question. My question is can I stay in the listed states overnight with a pistol locked in a case in the back of the Suburban, or will I be a felon if pulled over for speeding, etc.? I have gone through the concealed carry app on my phone, but in truth I don't understand if I can or can't. It would be far easier to not bring anything, but I hate to not even have an option or the ability to carry when in friendly states.

Lastly. I'm looking for advice from people who live and travel in the region. I can find the states web sites myself, but as mentioned the legal jargon is very unclear to me.

Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
    Ladies and Gents in the Northeast.

My family and I will be driving from Louisiana to DC for vacation this fall. We have hotel stays in New Jersey, Virginia, and D.C. Will be driving through Maryland as well but no overnight stay.

I understand that once we hit these areas concealed carry is out of the question. My question is can I stay in the listed states overnight with a pistol locked in a case in the back of the Suburban, or will I be a felon if pulled over for speeding, etc.? I have gone through the concealed carry app on my phone, but in truth I don't understand if I can or can't. It would be far easier to not bring anything, but I hate to not even have an option or the ability to carry when in friendly states.

Lastly. I'm looking for advice from people who live and travel in the region. I can find the states web sites myself, but as mentioned the legal jargon is very unclear to me.

Thanks in advance...
    Rethink your decision to stay in NJ. Nothing good will come from that if you have to deal with LE there in any way and you have firearms.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Yeah, NJ loves to arrest people who so much as stop at a gas station in their state with a legally transported gun.

I'd avoid even spending gas money in that state if at all possible.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Don't stay in DC either. Find a hotel in VA instead.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

+1 to stay in VA. The Metro makes it relatively easy to get from there to D.C.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf

From the bottom of page 5...

he law says you must have a FPIC or NJ Carry Permit to even transport firearms in NJ
    Also... lots of banned weapons in NJ...

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf...itle13ch54.pdf

I would not transport a firearm through NJ. Not even on a bet.
    If you are driving from VA to NH, FOPA protections apply in NJ, but you may still take the ride.
    And if you overnight in NJ, FOPA doesn't apply.

This is my OPINION. Not legal advice as I am not a lawyer.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

As others have said DC will arrest You over ammo, be careful going into the district Make sure You have No offending items. Keep it in va

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I'd seriously rethink entering D.C, Maryland or New Jersey with firearms or ammunition. While Maryland is (by far) the most permissive of the three, they're pretty strict on the possession and transport of handguns.

Stick to Virginia or West Virginia. Both are gun friendly and there's a lot to see and do. I like to spend my money in pro-gun states.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 09-14-2017 at 12:08 PM.

If you stay overnight in NJ with a firearm, you will be committing a state felony.

If you stop for gas in NJ, the language on "intermediate stops" is vague and you will likely be arrested.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Short answer is No. Long answer is if you want to get arrested.

Drive to VA, take metro to visit DC. Skip NJ, Maryland, and all points north of DC.

User Tag List