Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I travel in the Northeast with a firearm? (DC vacation planned)

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I'm covered under LEOSA but when I relocated to East Greenwich, RI last week, I went around NJ just because I had a bunch of other leagally carrried guns of all flavors locked in the bed of the truck. Too many horror stories of ignoring Fed law allowing interstate transportation of legal firearms.
    It isn't that they ignore it...just that federal law doesn't apply in places that aren't America.

An option would be to drop off your guns at a gun shop in VA for cleaning, picking them up after you come back from occupied territories.
    I live about 15 miles from the NJ border and avoid that state while carrying. Totally.

DC is a must for anybody who cares about American history. Seeing the Charters of Freedom is hard to describe. The Lincoln Memorial was a surprisingly powerful experience for me. I don't usually consider myself too sentimental or emotional, but DC is something else.

As suggested before, you can stay in Virginia along the metro line and travel in from there. That is how I handled the situation. I wouldn't want to bother with the DC traffic anyway.

I was told by some locals that it's better to visit on the weekend, because most government employees are off work and it makes moving around via public transportation easier. Less of a zoo.

The best advice I could possibly give anybody visiting DC is to schedule more time than you think you'll need. Whatever you do, don't cut yourself short and try to see it in a hurry. Go slow and let it soak in. You'll regret it if you don't.

Get a secure lock box, and keep your mouth shut. Police will need a warrant to break open the lock box and don't give them PC by admitting your firearm possession.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    Get a secure lock box, and keep your mouth shut. Police will need a warrant to break open the lock box and don't give them PC by admitting your firearm possession.
    Even if you're right, and ultimately prevail in that kind of dispute, is it worth the time lost, aggravation and potential legals costs involved?

Better just skip those shitholes entirely.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    I'm under the impression that the NJ AG treats firearms lock boxes as PC that there's a firearm in the car.

If they see it, they can hold him and get a telephonic warrant, or arrest him and work it out the next day. At the very least it gives them RS to conduct a protective sweep of the vehicle.

In NJ. According to the state constitution firearms are illegal to possess, and citizens can only have them through exceptions. If an officer has RS that you simply have a firearm, on that alone then he has RS that crime is afoot which changes things from most of the US.

I'm sure I butchered some of that, but that's how it's been explained to me by local NJ cops.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    DC is a must for anybody who cares about American history.
    I love US history, and I'll take a hard pass on ever visiting DC.

Or New Jersey. Fuck New Jersey.
    Last edited by Peally; 09-15-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Even if you are retired LE carrying under LEOSA you have to be careful. DC only allows 10 round mags and you can only carry one spare 10 rounder. I had no issues with carrying in several Smithsonian venues a couple of years ago, just informed the folks at the metal detectors.

Without LEOSA, I wouldn't even think of carrying weapons around any of those places.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm under the impression that the NJ AG treats firearms lock boxes as PC that there's a firearm in the car.

If they see it, they can hold him and get a telephonic warrant, or arrest him and work it out the next day. At the very least it gives them RS to conduct a protective sweep of the vehicle.

In NJ. According to the state constitution firearms are illegal to possess, and citizens can only have them through exceptions. If an officer has RS that you simply have a firearm, on that alone then he has RS that crime is afoot which changes things from most of the US.

I'm sure I butchered some of that, but that's how it's been explained to me by local NJ cops.
    What if, just for the sake of argument, said firearms lock box was empty? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I live about 15 miles from the NJ border and avoid that state while carrying. Totally.
    This. I think I have willingly traveled across the Delaware River twice in the past twenty years and it took more time to clean out my truck of garden state contraband than I actually was physically in NJ. I say willingly as I once broke down near Philadelphia and the driver that towed me back home went into the PRNJ "because it's a short cut" unbeknownst to me until I asked him whereTF we were when I didn't recognize any of the town names. I decided the best course of action was to resume my normal antisocial posture, not leave the passenger seat, and keep the bad thoughts I was having about said driver to my self.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List