Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on S&W "Lock" vs "No Lock"

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Question on S&W "Lock" vs "No Lock"

I would post this over at the "mecca of all things Smith and Wesson" but dont feel like enduring the wrath of the FUDS and never really getting the answer...

I would like to pick up a 4" Model 29. None of the guns I own are non-use museum pieces. I treat them well, but they are tools and I'm not afraid to scuff them. The prices for a pre-lock 4" are insane, especially for a working gun. The -10s are reasonably affordable.

So the question is, besides the lock (which I would remove and plug) are there any internal differences that would either cause concern or lead to issues? I read someplace that the frame was "redesigned". How so? Just internally (pin/post/etc) to accommodate the pin or is it more substantial? How about the rest of the lockwork?

Again, I appreciate the info. Im not google lazy, but it seems that the subject always degrades into the realm of ridiculouness. I know I can get a honest, straight forwrd answer here.

Thanks

I can only base this on the pre-lock J frames and the lock version J frames, both of which I have. My original 642-1 no lock made before the buyout of Thomson and the creation of the lock models clearly has a different trigger and hammer geometry from the post lock versions. They also created a post lock labeled 642-1 that was without the lock but it had the new post lock trigger and hammer parts internally. They changed the action geometry when the locks came, just a little, I think is is worse than the pre-lock mechanism in terms of the trigger action, but still manageable. With all of the MIM internals and the move to a frame mounted firing pins that happened in that same big time window, they made the hammers different anyway.

Aside from the geometry the other thing I noticed was the MIM sear is not in any way pined to the hammer, just rides in a slot, and the sear spring is now very tiny in those new actions. I cannot say that is a big deal, but it is different. I lost a sear spring once and that was almost impossible to do in the older models...

I had a M29 mountain gun that came with a lock. On any of those lock guns, I immediately grind the tab off the lock flag and install a plug in the frame, rending it a no lock model. That M29 performed quite well and took a lot of abuse. I sold it because the value spiked and a friend wanted it badly, he still has it and it has run fine. Not sure about changes in frame dimensions.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thank you. That was the exact no frills answer I was looking for.

Entropy, I sent you a PM.
    None of my Smith & Wessons has a lock. I have a couple of recent no lock j frames with mim parts, but won’t do any new ones with locks.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Google "N frame endurance package" for details on the durability upgrades.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Is there any concern that they will stop making parts for the pre lock guns?

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Is there any concern that they will stop making parts for the pre lock guns?
    Not currently. And even if they did, there are enough pre-lock J/K/N frame Smiths in circulation that parts could be found, with relative ease.

I'm reasonable certain I could spend a couple of grand and buy enough parts to fix/repair any J or K frame I came into for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-19-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks!

Apparently some of the parts for the "pre lock" and "pre MIM" guns have been discontinued. I recently sourced some DA sears from Bowen Classic Arms he is having made. EBAY and Brownell's are also good sources for parts as are a number of others.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

I don't have, or want any of the guns S&W makes with the locks. I don't really care all that much about MIM parts. I've never had anything made that way break. Every S&W semiauto I've owned has had them, and they all worked fine.

User Tag List