Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woods Gun

Woods Gun

If you were going to take a month off work and wander the woods playing mountain man, what would you want to carry?

Something for protection against critters, and something to get an occasional marmot or some other small game with no seasons or limits. Would you run a rifle with iron sights? RDS? Scope?

And if you had to go to town for resupply (batteries, food, repair items) how would you "cover it"? A gun sock? Break it down in your pack? Strap it to your pack openly?

Would you carry a pistol? If so, what kind?

Thinking about next spring/summer, wanting to do some extensive backcountry exploring in my new state of Idaho (sorta like Lost River does).

Me - I'm thinking a Marlin 336 Youth with a light mount from Hill People Gear and a Trijicon 1 MOA RMR. Or maybe an Aimpoint M5s if they come out with one by summer 2018.
    Last edited by Jay585; 09-13-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I would setup a lightweight AR with a pencil weight 14.5" barrel and pinned flash hider, and a low power variable scope in a 1-4 or 1-6x. For fun, or small game hunting, I would have a 22LR conversion kit.

I have this setup already in 18" and am enjoying it but for backpacking I would want it a bit shorter.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Chiappa lever action .357 Winchester 1892 copy). You can load anything from low range .38's, midrange wadcutters, to 180 grain .357's that will rock medium game and people. Plus, completely non threatening in appearance to townies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What part of Idaho... more specifically... any Grizzlies in the AO?
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 09-13-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Your regular EDC plus any rifle that floats your boat. No way an RMR, if you will be out in weather and possibly extreme cold.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Let's see, if I had a month to wander my late uncle's property in the middle-of-nowhere Colorado...
    I'd probably stick to the Beretta 92's on the hip.
    For a rifle, probably stick with my AR, and make prairie dogs blow up real good. A CZ 455FS in .22 mag would be tempting.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Chiappa lever action .357 Winchester 1892 copy). You can load anything from low range .38's, midrange wadcutters, to 180 grain .357's that will rock medium game and people. Plus, completely non threatening in appearance to townies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you picking a Chiappa instead of a Winchester because it's cheaper, or is there a feature on the Chia that's not in the Whinny?

EDIT: never mind, just saw the website, they aren't any cheaper than a Winchester. Dunno why I thought it would be. :\

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    What part of Idaho... more specifically... any Grizzlies in the AO?
    The southern part, probably starting in Idaho City and headed north-ish is the goal. Grizzlies? Dunno, but having worked a summer on Admiralty Island, in the backcountry, I am not too worried about the Griz.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Your regular EDC plus any rifle that floats your boat. No way an RMR, if you will be out in weather and possibly extreme cold.
    Why, what happens to the RMR? I've heard/read of rain splattering the dot but not of what extreme cold does.
    Last edited by Jay585; 09-14-2017 at 04:51 AM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

If you want to play mountain man, you should really take a mountain man rifle. With my half stock .54 I can head shoot small game at close range or stoke it up for large game. A more modern choice would be a .308 or .30-06 bolt gun.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I would setup a lightweight AR with a pencil weight 14.5" barrel and pinned flash hider, and a low power variable scope in a 1-4 or 1-6x. For fun, or small game hunting, I would have a 22LR conversion kit.

I have this setup already in 18" and am enjoying it but for backpacking I would want it a bit shorter.
    It sounds a lot what I understand to be a common Native Alaskan approach. The AR at least. I want it to be my Win 94 but this sounds so damn rational. With a G17 on the hip.
    Last edited by JHC; 09-14-2017 at 06:23 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This is personal, so I'll take it personally. I live in SW MO, which means black bear is the biggest I'd ever have to shoot. I'd pack my suppressed .22 pistol, and a ruger .44 Deerfield stainless carbine. Rds on the carbine.

User Tag List