Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Toyota RAV4 and 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    My 4runner is 20 years old and I will probably keep it until it rusts out from under me.

I would rate its current rustiness as 1/10.

Will not be remotely surprised if I one day roll the odometer over.

To be fair, at the 200,000 mile mark, I did have to do some work: plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, the belts including the timing belt which includes a water pump, idler, and a bunch of other stuff; new exhaust from the cat back, fluids, new rear shocks and a few other things.

On the other hand, I hadn't done any maintenance since 100,000 miles. And it's a tow vehicle for a 5000 lb boat, and it hauls that boat and trailer up saltwater ramps.

And it gets offroaded a bit.

Much older and more primitive than anything you'd be interested in but I'd drive it to Alaska tomorrow if I had the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Regarding primitive.....

I could be perfectly happy with something pretty basic. I didn't even have power windows and power locks on a vehicle until 2011, and I got my first vehicle in the mid-90's. The last thing I want on a new vehicle is a bunch of doo-dads that cause me more unnecessary trips to the service department. Honestly, I just want the thing to run and run and run. My wife on the other hand...........

Site Supporter
    I picked up a 2016 4Runner in Feb. It has been superlative so far.

It is an SR5 Premium. This is a cool trim package if you are looking for some interior refinements without the extra cash outlay. The 4wd system is still awesome, you aren't losing anything there.

I traded out of an explorer because of the exhaust fume issue but there were other irredeemable flaws as well.

The 4runner is quite old-school.

manual knobs for radio and a/c
    nav and infotainment is fast and flawless but antiquated and tiny.
    It has a mechanical fan
    External water pump
    hydraulic assisted power steering
    Port fuel injection
    Body on frame
    Full size spare, under body
    Greaseable drive shafts
    Thick metal skid plates everywhere

These are things that I wanted because much of the content in new automobiles is rife with glitches.

After my experiment with the explorer I will be moving over to an all-Toyota vehicle line up for family and serious use vehicles.

We like the 4runner enough that we are deciding on a second 4runner or a Tundra.

Although it is for the 3rd gen series here is a long thread about some seriously high mile 4runners:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ileage-20.html

The current 4runner is 5th gen and a redesign is expected sometime in '19,'20,'21.

Some negatives

gas mileage is less than desirable but not horrible either
    I have a minor seat squeak issue when fully tilted and temps below 32.

Overall performance

the 4.0 has 278 HP and 270 torque
    The rear gears are 3.73
    5 speed transmission

You aren't winning drag races or internet bench racing with this. However the 4runner is not slow or underpowered either.
    Last edited by fixer; 09-14-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    2016 4Runner Trail Edition Premium with KDSS. Love the vehicle. Always wanted one and as my neighbor has two, a 1997 and a 2015, I couldn't let him have all the fun to himself.

Just back from a trip up to NY and back and my wife said it was more comfortable than our former Ford Explorer (Eddie Bauer Edition, 4WD) which had pretty much all the amenities but didn't compare in capability.

Depending on your needs, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the 4R.

I bought the same truck for my wife as a kid hauler. We love it. I plan to steal it from her at some point to when she decides she wants something different.
    For a durable, dependable, easy to maintain, go-almost -anywhere new vehicle, the 4Runner is impossible to beat. I'm a long time Toyota truck fan. I've owned three Toyota pickups and an 80 series Land Cruiser that was built into a serious trail truck. I lament the overall softening of Toyota's US market trucks, but there isn't anything else like the 4Runner left on the market.
    Last edited by Crawls; 09-14-2017 at 07:30 AM.

If my Tacoma got totaled today, I would be in a 5th Gen T4R tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Further regarding primitive...

My 4Runner is 20 years old and has over 200k miles. The power locks and windows haven't given me any trouble.

My 10yo Honda Odyssey has power locks and windows, as well as power sliding doors. It too has been troublefree in those areas.

Same goes for my 4yo Focus.

Where my vehicles give me trouble are in the areas that ALL cars are similar regardless of age. I recently replaced the harmonic damper on my Odyssey and the radiator on my Focus.

I think the concern over power locks/windows/doors is a bit overblown.

I do like a manual transmission, but that's because I've yet to see an automatic go 200k miles, but I've had more than one manual reach 200k before needing a rebuild (even then, they could be babied longer).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Further regarding primitive...

My 4Runner is 20 years old and has over 200k miles. The power locks and windows haven't given me any trouble.

My 10yo Honda Odyssey has power locks and windows, as well as power sliding doors. It too has been troublefree in those areas.

Same goes for my 4yo Focus.

Where my vehicles give me trouble are in the areas that ALL cars are similar regardless of age. I recently replaced the harmonic damper on my Odyssey and the radiator on my Focus.

I think the concern over power locks/windows/doors is a bit overblown.

I do like a manual transmission, but that's because I've yet to see an automatic go 200k miles, but I've had more than one manual reach 200k before needing a rebuild (even then, they could be babied longer).

Chris
    I was tossing the lock/window thing out as an example of me not needing or wanting every single available option on a vehicle, not really as a slam on them per se. I'll never go back to manual locks and windows, trust me.

Funny you ask about that combo for husband/wife. My neighbors literally just bought the husband a 4Runner and the wife a RAV4.

My wife drives a maxed out AWD CRV but wrecked it last year so while it was in the shop for a month she had a RAV4 rental - brand new sporty model. Just comparing the two - her CRV is finished better inside and is a more comfortable ride but the RAV4 was a much more sporty and responsive drive. It had better pick-up off the line, steering was better, as was braking. It wasn't as nice inside as the CRV but but I enjoyed driving it more. If we were buying again today and choosing between those two it would be a tough call.

I drive a 2003 Tacoma with 122k and plan to drive it another 10-15 years. Love my Toyota.

Wife has a 2016 T4R Trail. Just rolled over 27K miles and it's needed nothing besides oil/filter changes. Fully expect it to easily hit 150-200K with no issues. Hers has a 3" lift and sits on 285s (33s) and it still averages about ~17 with a good deal of that being in town driving. Gets 16-20 on the highway depending on how fast we go. Stick around 60 and it'll approach 20, but go 80 and the mileage drops quick. Not a powerhouse but does the job just fine. If you tow anything prepare to run it in manual mode and don't expect to hit 5th gear on the highway. Any kind of towing above ~50mph and I have to leave it in 4th.
    Shoot more, post less...

I had a 1991 4Runner for many years, and put 278,000 miles on it. Great little truck. Family grew, I needed to upsize to a Suburban, and the little 4Runner got sold. It was lots of fun, and the 4 wheel drive worked great in mud and snow. It was a wonderful hunting vehicle for me. Saw lots of off-road use, and I don't remember it developing any odd rattles or squeaks like many trucks do over time. If I had one complaint, the engine was weak. It did not accelerate well, and it was not good at towing. Hopefully the engine has been upgraded in the 26 years since I first bought mine. You can't go wrong with a 4Runner.

Regarding the RAV4, it seems a little small. Go the 4Runner route. You will enjoy the extra space.

Is there a lot of road noise in the cabin on the freeway?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User Tag List